DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a torsion key leveling kit on my 2002. The kit was advertised as 2-3" in the front and when I let it down, with 1/4" of threads between the key and the key holder, I had 4" of lift from when I started. So I cranked the bolt down to where the key and key holder are nearly touching, figuring that should be 3", and there is still 3.75" of lift from when I started. I haven't driven it yet because I still need to put the shock relocator brackets on but I'm thinking it's gonna be ugly. I am planning on getting new shocks but shocks are not my biggest worry here.

Questions:
1.) Is it even safe to get that much from a torsion key level? Meaning mostly my axles/cv joints, or any other suspension components.

2.) Has anyone experienced this before? I seriously don't want to take them back off because getting them on was literally the hardest physical thing I've ever had to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I would imagine it will drive like a brick or maybe even a cinder block on wheels... also if you went up 3 3/4" that would meen you sit front high??? I wouldnt set mine that high... what kit did you go with?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Followup on this whole story:

I have uninstalled the kit and gone back to my stock keys, where I cranked them to exactly the height I was looking for from the beginning, a lift of 2.25 inches in the front. I can't return the kit since it was installed but I'm still convinced they sent me the wrong kit. Oh well, at least I learned a crapload about my truck's suspension along the way. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Followup on this whole story:

I have uninstalled the kit and gone back to my stock keys, where I cranked them to exactly the height I was looking for from the beginning, a lift of 2.25 inches in the front. I can't return the kit since it was installed but I'm still convinced they sent me the wrong kit. Oh well, at least I learned a crapload about my truck's suspension along the way. :D
did the kit come with new adjusting bolts?
i know the instructions for my kit said it was suposed to come with new adjusting bolts but it never did. but i was able to get the right amount of lift for mine right around 2 7/8. mine was a readylift kit btw

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine just came with the keys only. I learned my lesson about buying suspension parts on the internet. Lots of stuff is fine to buy online but if it's something I am not familiar with I will be buying from a shop so I can go back there if I have trouble. Lesson learned the hard way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.