DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Just picked up an 81 D250 Crew Cab

270 3
I just picked this truck up not running, I was able to bar the engine over by hand today before throwing a new battery in it and letting the starter spin it over. Everything seems fine except for the mechanical fuel pump does not seem to work when being supplied with fresh fuel out of a bucket and the carb does not seem to be working either. I was able to get the engine to run on it's own for a few seconds before the carb stopped pumping fuel after bypassing the mechanical pump. I guess my first order of business is deciding to keep the mechanical pump (with a replacement pump) or installing a blocking plate and using an electric pump, for the carb it currently has an AUTOLINE C6062 rebuilt carb but the truck sat for about 5 years I'm guessing, I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for this carb specifically, is there a replacement that is recommended?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Pollution Gas Waste

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

I believe the truck was originally owned by the USAF before the old man I got it from bought it at auction. The door tag is painted over so I cannot see the GVWR to know which brake parts to order for the truck either. I am also searching for a bench seat for the rear since it did not have one when I picked it up.
Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
You may have to contact Autoline directly to inquire about a rebuild kit.

[email protected]

The picture in their current catalog of the C6062 carb must be a newer design as it looks different than the one on your truck. That may be why you can’t readily find a rebuild kit. They also have a note indicating “Carter” so I expect the original carb was a Carter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have to contact Autoline directly to inquire about a rebuild kit.

[email protected]

The picture in their current catalog of the C6062 carb must be a newer design as it looks different than the one on your truck. That may be why you can’t readily find a rebuild kit. They also have a note indicating “Carter” so I expect the original carb was a Carter.
I was able to disassemble it without hurting any of the seals and clean it thoroughly this morning. I filled the bowl with good fuel and was able to start it and get it running for a few seconds under it's own power! So the carb is fine I think for now. I want to make sure the mechanical pump is okay too before I replace it but I'm not sure how I need to make sure the fuel tank is clean enough to use, I'd like to not have to drop the tank but the more I think about it the more I'm sure I'll have to drop the tank. There was a fuel leak on the filter at the front of the engine when I got the truck so all of the fuel may have evaporated out hopefully and the fuel system isn't that bad. I'm not sure though, this is the first project I've had that involved a vehicle sitting for years, I'm normally working on stationary engines.

·
Registered
NV4500 5 Speed Manual, 4.10 gears, Regular Cab, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, 8' B&W Flatbed, 3rd Owner
41 Posts
Did you look on carbkitsource.com? They have lots of oddball rebuild kits, among common ones.

Looks like a cool project, I recommend just replacing your fuel pump with another mechanical, if you can find one, that might be hard to find as well. On older stuff like this, I personally would be more apt to keep it as mechanical as possible, but I’ve not had any experience with electric pumps on a carbureted engine. My guess is that the fuel line fitting’s threads are tapered, make sure not to overtighten as tapered threads can be prone to breaking.

If you can find a rebuild kit, it sure looks like it would be a simple rebuild to do, my project truck has a great big 4 barrel, factory equipment but way more complicated than it needs to be. It’s not a Dodge though.

And it might be better to start over with a fresh carb, as much build up as that thing has I wouldn’t be surprised if the jets and needles aren’t in very good shape. Single barrel carbs aren’t expensive, so if your building with a budget, it shouldn’t hurt it much.

Once again, super cool truck, looks good, have fun and good luck with it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts