DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a lot of discussions on the ford forums about these pickups in the quarter mile. I had a 2wd extended cab 2.7 (little EcoBoost) , 20" wheels but pretty much stripped down. Bone stock I went 14.08 @ 98mph. The three times I was down the track stock the little EcoBoost had the best time of all 3 engines. I got my stones busted for stating this but imo the smallest EcoBoost is geared so good that it is the quickest in the 1/4 stock. With drag radials, diablo tuner, and cai I went 12.92 @ 104. I finally put a bigger intercooler and hit 12.5 . The fastest f150 I knew of was a guy with a 3.5 EcoBoost tuned and intercooler running 12.2s. What are the stock rams running in comparison? And what about with say $1500 or less in mods like I had? When I was bone stock I ran a guy in a crewcab ram with 20s and we were dead even . I would think a 2wd stock hemi in a regular cab should run low 13s.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
As far as I recall, the 2.7 was the fastest of the F150's during testing, so I'm surprised the Ford guys busted on you for saying that the 2.7 was faster than the 3.5 and 5.0. The 2.7 also had CGI before the 3.5, maybe due to the stock higher psi (17-18psi I believe vs a max of 15 on the 3.5).

There are some stock 4G Rams on Dragtimes.com in the mid 14's. The 2015 R/T Ram (single cab, short bed, 2wd) is said to have tested with a 5.4 0-60 and a 14.1 1/4 @ 99mph.

As you might be able to tell by my mods, my truck is for utility rather than racing, but it's still a lot of fun to drive. There are folks that will offer their far superior experience, but I think it's hard to compare dollar for dollar with the gains from tuning a turbo for more boost, longevity aside.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's pretty good for a 2.7 ecoboost or any full size truck as far as I'm concerned. I went Wednesday and barely broke 13 seconds. I admit that was my first time and my reaction times were horrendous but dam 12.5! I also ran it in 4x4 after doing a one wheel peel half of the way down the track on my first run. I'm sure open diff. and all terrain tires with 40psi in them didn't help much. Which reminds me I need to rotate my tires again.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
With drag radials, diablo tuner, and cai I went 12.92 @ 104. I finally put a bigger intercooler and hit 12.5 . The fastest f150 I knew of was a guy with a 3.5 EcoBoost tuned and intercooler running 12.2s.
Out of curiosity, it sounds like you got your truck to a pretty good spot, what made you decide to get rid of it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran into some financial troubles. I bought this ram 4x4 qc for $26700, stickered at $39,210. Heck of a deal, rides nice, only problem I have is shifting from first to second is rough. Hoping it breaks in. My 2.7 EcoBoost was a 17' with a 6spd. The 18s have 10spds now I believe. I previously had a 15' 5.0 f150, the EcoBoost was no doubt quicker. I owned that for 2 years and only raced one ram when I was stock. Like I said we were dead even. At that time I ran a 14.08. Mine was an excab base 2wd, he was in a cc loaded 4x4, much heavier truck. I was impressed because a week before I had nodded out a 6.2 GMC. Maybe the ram had some upgrades

·
Super Moderator
34,278 Posts
I mean, you are comparing a turboed engine with a naturally aspirated one, and NA setups making big power have high compression and lumpy cams that would be pretty bad for daily driving and truck use. But the 4th gen Hemi Rams are about a 14 second truck if we aren't getting into details about cab configuration and stuff. Obviously DA always matters

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
It's going to be slower and not anywhere near as easy to pickup power since you can't just tune more boost into it and throw a bigger intercooler on. However if you turbo the ram it will slaughter the Ford, problem simply is the Ford has far superior gearing and slightly better average power meaning average wheel torque is simply superior.

A turbo hemi though is game over. If you give the hemi the same internal geometry and parts technology as the Ford engine plus a pair of turbos it will quite literaly produce more than double the power and be more reliable while doing so.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've raced the eco boost on the track and on the street and I can't hold a candle to them, even the 6 speeds. You're pretty much going to need full bolt on's (Cam, headers, custom tune, throttle body, intake and exhaust) if you wanna hang with them, especially the new 10 speeds. They're a rocket even in stock form.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
This kinda reminds me of one of TFL Truck episodes I saw on YouTube. I do believe the 2.7 Ecoboost was the fastest trucks in the 1/4 even compared to the Coyote and the 3.5 Ecoboost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts