DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 MegaCab 5.7L V8 Hemi
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

She's a 2006 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7 v8 hemi megacab. The original heavy half ton.
The grille was a gift from my son, but I'm thinking about changing quite a few things very soon.
I'm already running Fahren LEDs which have served me quite nicely, but, my lenses are shit. I'd like to change them to black housed lights like these:

ACANII - For 2006-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 07-09 Ram 2500 3500 Pickup Black Housing LED Tube Projector Headlights Headlamps Amazon.com: ACANII - For 2006-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 07-09 Ram 2500 3500 Pickup Black Housing LED Tube Projector Headlights Headlamps: Automotive

With this grille to match:

Black W/Light Front Hood Big Horn Grille Replacement Shell Grill Compatible with 2006-2009 Dodge RAM 1500 2500 3500 Amazon.com: Black W/Light Front Hood Big Horn Grille Replacement Shell Grill Compatible with 2006-2009 Dodge RAM 1500 2500 3500 : Automotive

These fog lights:

Z-OFFROAD 2pcs 63W LED Fog Lights Lamps Replacement for 2002-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 2003-2009 Ram 2500 3500 2004-2006 Durango Truck, Driver and Passenger Side - Black Amazon.com: Z-OFFROAD 2pcs 63W LED Fog Lights Lamps Replacement for 2002-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 2003-2009 Ram 2500 3500 2004-2006 Durango Truck, Driver and Passenger Side - Black: Automotive

And these tail lights:

ACANII - For Black 2002-2006 Dodge Ram 1500 03-06 2500 3500 LED Bar Tail Lights Brake Lamps Amazon.com: ACANII - For Black 2002-2006 Dodge Ram 1500 03-06 2500 3500 LED Bar Tail Lights Brake Lamps : Everything Else

Thats just to start off.

Eventually, I'd like to Black out the badges, and trade the stock rims for some black.

When it comes to rims, I know spacers aren't exactly safe, but I'm curious...
Are rims with a built in offset safer than running rims with spacers?

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
270 Posts
@Sissie

Go big, or go home...

and yes, of course spacers are less safe.
Maybe think about ditching the "Retired Vet going to Home Depot for some curtains" running boards and the Sailboat mast antenna.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Sissie

Go big, or go home...

and yes, of course spacers are less safe.
I'm thinking of going 315 70 17 on the tires, but I know I can't offset much with those without a lift.

I'm super into the Dick Cepek extreme country, but she already rides rough as hell. Lol

Thinking I may add some Pro Comp Suspension Steering Stabilizer into the mix. The roads here suuuccckkkkk

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
646 Posts
Way to go @Sissie , you just shot down everything I was going to suggest about front end lighting. Why don’t you just slap me across the face! 😲👋😰 but seriously… would you just slap me across the face… ☺🙊🥰🙊☺

I love the collection of lights you have picked out. Very cohesive for sure! Personally I’m torn between your current grill and the one you linked to. Something about the headlights having a white DRL tube AND the grill having one as well… 🤔 I was imagining some big round lights mounted behind your current grill, since it is so open. Kinda like how you see rally racers with 2 big-ass lights mounted to the bumper, but move them behind the grill. Better protected. Like these:

Or more blacked out like these:

I lean towards the 9” with more silver showing, but those 7” blacked out are pretty sexy!

And I’m confused 😕 that’s a 1500, but with 8-lug wheels? Or are those caps off of a 2500?

❤❤❤ your truck btw 🥰🙊🥰

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
270 Posts
Yeah, I pull a loaded down trailer every 2 weeks. 2 4 wheelers, 2 big ass loaded down ice chests, and whatever else is needed (BBQ put, 4x4s, etc) so I'm trying to keep the strain off her.
Well if you're pulling stuff and can just get wheels w the offset you need, stay away from spacers... not saying bad stuff will def happen, but you'll avoid that added stress on the longer studs.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Do you tow a trailer or a camper?

Don’t you see the ghost trailer hooked up behind her truck in the pics?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if you're pulling stuff and can just get wheels w the offset you need, stay away from spacers... not saying bad stuff will def happen, but you'll avoid that added stress on the longer studs.

For sure. Thats what I was concerned about. I even talked with my son about using APR bolts and studs... but thats something I still feel like why take a chance on it? Ya know?

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
270 Posts
For sure. Thats what I was concerned about. I even talked with my son about using APR bolts and studs... but thats something I still feel like why take a chance on it? Ya know?
Exactly... I couldn't tell from the pics but if u don't have one already, a nice bed cover would be a good addition.

·
Registered
14 Ram Express
270 Posts
Exactly... I couldn't tell from the pics but if u don't have one already, a nice bed cover would be a good addition.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I see what you are talking about on the steering box stabilizer, just not seeing listings that include 1500 models. And prices all over the place!

And figured your also talking about adding a steering stabilizer as well. Both should add a lot of value in terms of protecting the gearbox and helping with stabilizing the wheel driving those rough roads.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see what you are talking about on the steering box stabilizer, just not seeing listings that include 1500 models. And prices all over the place!

View attachment 139238
And figured your also talking about adding a steering stabilizer as well. Both should add a lot of value in terms of protecting the gearbox and helping with stabilizing the wheel driving those rough roads.
This is exactly what I was talking about!! Well, that's the one think I'm not sure of.
Since my girl is basically built a 2500 on bottom, but 1500 the rest, I'm not sure it'll work. Guess I'll have to ask the mechanic. 🤔
But yes, I'd like to add both. I feel like adding that little bit extra may help between road conditions and pulling a trailer. Hopefully lol

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

No, I don't have one, and the, I'm kinda on the fence about em. I'm not sure it's be especially helpful on my truck. I have that big tool box back there, and the bed is regularly filled with chainsaws, axes, machetes, weedeaters, gas cans, etc.
But on the other hand, if it's water tight... that would be awesome. We get so much rain here it's ridiculous!

·
Registered
646 Posts
What trim level/package is your truck? Laramie? Or???

I highly recommend the In-Channel Window Visor from WeatherTech! This is my 3rd vehicle using them, over the stick-on type. First off looks so much more clean! And love being able to “crack the windows” in the summer heat! That’s a nice affordable upgrade you could do! And their custom fit front window shields are great too!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts

I highly recommend the In-Channel Window Visor from WeatherTech! This is my 3rd vehicle using them, over the stick-on type. First off looks so much more clean! And love being able to “crack the windows” in the summer heat! That’s a nice affordable upgrade you could do! And their custom fit front window shields are great too!
I wouldn’t recommend them. I have them on my truck and regret buying them. I can crack my windows in the heat with or without them. I put them on in the spring and all was good, but as soon as the temp hit triple digits the two in the rear doors fell out. I made sure to follow the instructions exactly. The front two are held in more my tension than the double sided tape. The rear two are only held in place by the double sided tape. I found one of the vents that fell out, but I’m not sure when the other one fell out. The one that fell out was while the truck was parked and just sitting there with the windows cracked open. I picked it up and put it in the truck. The other one must have fell out while driving. I was never able to find it. From the reviews I’ve read there seems to be other people that have had this problem too; they had to apply new double sided tape to get them back into place. Missing one I don’t plan to put the one I have back into place. It’s turned me off on that brand. I’m less likely to buy anything weathertech again.

·
Registered
646 Posts
@NevadaMike

that sucks. I’ve had mine on my ‘12 since, well… 2012! But yeah the backs are less secure because of using the tape.
But now that I’m sitting here in my truck I just realized… mine are EGR, not WeatherTech! Oops! Bought WT for the wife’s Grand Cherokee.
And I meant cracking the window without worrying about a random pop-up rain shower! 😂 that happens a lot in OK summers.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Pretty sure it's just an SLT I'll have to look at it once the daylight shows up.
Mine came with those crappy stick-ons, my last one did too. Except, my last one I had to glue part of it together, put clear tape til the glue dried, and that lasted til that truck got totaled. My oldest was showing off at PT and ran and dove through front pass window... he made it, but that damn thing got cracked.
Anyway, the set I have now, half of one on the back is missing, and I've been thinking of replacing them anyway.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn’t recommend them. I have them on my truck and regret buying them. I can crack my windows in the heat with or without them. I put them on in the spring and all was good, but as soon as the temp hit triple digits the two in the rear doors fell out. I made sure to follow the instructions exactly. The front two are held in more my tension than the double sided tape. The rear two are only held in place by the double sided tape. I found one of the vents that fell out, but I’m not sure when the other one fell out. The one that fell out was while the truck was parked and just sitting there with the windows cracked open. I picked it up and put it in the truck. The other one must have fell out while driving. I was never able to find it. From the reviews I’ve read there seems to be other people that have had this problem too; they had to apply new double sided tape to get them back into place. Missing one I don’t plan to put the one I have back into place. It’s turned me off on that brand. I’m less likely to buy anything weathertech again.
I rarely open my rear 2, unless it's cool enough out. I'll be sure to gorilla glue them or something lol heat indices have been killer here so far.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts