DODGE RAM FORUM banner
101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
661 Posts
. I'm thinking that's ALL oil from the valve cover gasket I need to change.

Wondering if there's 2 valve cover gaskets, one on each side of the bay?
Are you talking about both driver & passenger sides? Of course there is ya silly goose! 😋🙊😜

I did my 16 plugs back in January! It was a lot of fun! It’s a lot of stretched out on your belly across the radiator support. Oh wait… your grill goes up with the hood right? You might not have as long of a reach as me since I’m starting from in front of the grill.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 MegaCab 5.7L V8 Hemi
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Are you talking about both driver & passenger sides? Of course there is ya silly goose! 😋🙊😜

I did my 16 plugs back in January! It was a lot of fun! It’s a lot of stretched out on your belly across the radiator support. Oh wait… your grill goes up with the hood right? You might not have as long of a reach as me since I’m starting from in front of the grill.
Oh good lord. It looks like imma be having some fun replacing those 2 then. Lol

Yes, my grille goes up. But it's still a pretty far reach to the last 2 packs. And the very last one has to be done by feel, not sight 😂 I'm absolutely dreading that.

I legit thought at one point I was stuck under the truck for life lol couldn't go in from the sides, my steps sit too low.
Couldn't make it past the rear diff because some mountains were in the way.
Went in from the front, and slowly methodically pulled myself through the jungle under there.
My 10' legs were useless, because my knees hit everything.
It was finding all the high points I could to squeeze through😂 but then, I realized, I had to go back out the way I came in... and the brain games commenced lmfao I was legit just about to live under there forever. 😂

Ok, I did some looking. The only thing I could find regarding Trans lines had to do with the radiator. I couldn't find a thing about the part I need to check. I'll have to look again when my phone is charged up some more. But I'm at a loss right now. @TotalChaos69 you have any ideas how to properly check those fittings, preferably without leaking fluid everywhere? Lol

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think I may eventually cut the tips off and fix some 4 or 5" tips on.
If I had access to a tig, I'd cut the resonators out and reweld that sucker lol
I swapped out to a straight Y-pipe a couple months ago and cut those wimpy little 4” tips off and went with black 5” tips! So much better!
Tire Wheel Car Plant Vehicle
Pipeline transport Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Gas Exhaust system

and I gotta say… kinda hot with you talking all that mig and tig lingo!!! You know, cause melting metals together gets really hot 🥵… from what I read, it’s recommended to leave the resonators in. I did. And I love the sound of mine.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I swapped out to a straight Y-pipe a couple months ago and cut those wimpy little 4” tips off and went with black 5” tips! So much better!
View attachment 140250 View attachment 140251

and I gotta say… kinda hot with you talking all that mig and tig lingo!!! You know, cause melting metals together gets really hot 🥵… from what I read, it’s recommended to leave the resonators in. I did. And I love the sound of mine.
It is, but I'm a rule breaker lol I guess I'll have to go for a flowmaster outlaw or some kinda carven. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
661 Posts
@Sissie you bouta give me an anxiety attack with all that talk about almost getting stuck under your truck! I got trapped under a car I was working on (30 yrs ago) and I had to wait about 20 min for my brother to show up. So I get anxiety pretty easy about getting stuck. 😆

anyway, I am about the same as you described. Can’t go all the way under from sides because of steps. I can barely make it from the back between the diff and the wheels. But not the front. But I lay cardboard down so I can pull/slide myself along. Not enough extra room for a creeper. 😛
But I can get my head & shoulders under from the side just enough to reach the drain plug to do oil change.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
@fireproof69 it was a little scary lol I can't imagine actually being stuck.id probably cry.

I told rus, all these big guys they got workin here, and they got this little bitty creeper... everything I'd roll, my hair got stuck in the wheels, and that's because I had my hair up lol I'm kinda dreading going back under today. But, I'd like to get at least part of her painted. Check those lines, and then take the air box out and check the one valve cover.

boy oh boy, I'm sore as hell this morning.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Don’t freak out about those transmission cooler lines , wipe them dry then check back in a day or two,they may have tiny leaks that have accumulated over time. Same thing for tailshaft housing at front of drive shaft, it looks fairly normal , as it slides into and out of the transmission.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Don’t freak out about those transmission cooler lines , wipe them dry then check back in a day or two,they may have tiny leaks that have accumulated over time. Same thing for tailshaft housing at front of drive shaft, it looks fairly normal , as it slides into and out of the transmission.
Ok. I cleaned them yesterday. The top line is leaking a tiny bit by the plastic piece. It's dripping down onto the bottom one.
I checked the Trans fluid level. Looks good.
I'm going to try and see if maybe the fitting is just a little loose. I'm not sure what to do after that if that's not the problem.

And thank you kindly for the help about the back plugs! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
So I had some fun with the mig today. First time I've ever used a wire fed machine... kinda tricky, but I'm determined to learn.

Spent a couple hours grinding on a pad eye for a box they use to rent out tools. It has to be perfect to pass a inspection. Was in some awkward positions, lol, but I got her all shined up, no cracks, no pinholes left.

Back hurts, but had a good day helping rus build the boxes.

But, I have a new issue.

So, the paperwork I have says the thermostat was replaced in 2016. On cold start, truck acts like it wants to overheat. I turn the heater on to pull the heat away, and it goes back down. Once the truck is warmed up, or once I turn the heater on for a few seconds, she sits at normal temp.

I was thinking, if it was a blockage or a leak of some sort, it would want to overheat whether the truck is warmed up or not. Right?

So what else am I left with? Faulty thermostat? Some kind of sensor? I'm not losing fluid. Idk where to start. 😭

My poor Baby. All I want is for her to be healthy and happy and be able to drive her for many years to come. But I feel like mechanically, she's just a hot mess like her mama. Lol I'm sure I'll get it all sorted out. It just feels overwhelming.

But I'm still not giving up yet. I love my girl. ❤

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
A couple of questions
1. What happens if you don't turn the heater on?
2. And how hot will it go before it goes down by itself?

·
Registered
661 Posts
@Sissie i would say possibly low on water and maybe getting air pocket, but if you check it and it’s not low then not so sure.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
A couple of questions
1. What happens if you don't turn the heater on?
2. And how hot will it go before it goes down by itself?
I've never let it get all the way hot. As soon as it gets 3/4 or a little more, I turn the heater on.
I been a little nervous that it won't go down lol it doesn't matter if I'm stopped or driving, it doesn't go down unless I turn the heater on.
I will try and run it today without the heater and see what it does.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
@Sissie i would say possibly low on water and maybe getting air pocket, but if you check it and it’s not low then not so sure.
Fluids are all good babe. I'm thinking I justify may as well replace the thermostat and flush the system.
I was going to flush the system awhile back, but the manager at oreilly talked me out of it.
The old man that owned it before mewas running Rex coolant for some odd reason, and there was almost no coolant in the reservoir at all. The manager said just buy some universal to put in there, so that's what I did she wasn't giving me trouble then, though.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Fluids are all good babe. I'm thinking I justify may as well replace the thermostat and flush the system.
I was going to flush the system awhile back, but the manager at oreilly talked me out of it.
The old man that owned it before mewas running Rex coolant for some odd reason, and there was almost no coolant in the reservoir at all. The manager said just buy some universal to put in there, so that's what I did she wasn't giving me trouble then, though.
One thing I was going to say is this: you can take the thermostat out and reconnect/fill with straight water, and then start it up with the radiator cap off. And look down in there to see how good the flow is in the rad. Leave it down just enough to see the little flow tubes, ya know? This will let you know if you have good flow thru the radiator and system. It is extra work but it lets you know if there is a restriction in water flow.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts