DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am getting ready to install a K&n cold air intake but what is the difference between a metallic and non metallic tube besides the HP? Which is better and performs better?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 77 series the metal tube, my cousin has the 57 series the plastic tube. I told him I bought the more expensive one becauseit was smoother inside, he said untrue the plastic is super smooth. I would check your local auto parts store first and get a visual on them. I wish I had of I could have saved 50 bucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The plastic one is super smooth on the inside, but there are some little dimples. Slick dimples, mind you, but it's not perfectly flat like the metal would be. I'm definitely happy with the plastic tube, can't see where the metal one could provide that much more of a benefit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mine is plastic too. Runs great and sounds mean. Just a reminder from the idiot that did not follow step one, to follow step one. It resets the computer as I am sure everyone knows but I didn't think about on install day. :i_redface:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Plastic, in theory, is more of a true "cold-air" setup. The metal heats up much faster than plastic, heating up your cold air. Do not get a metallic intake tube. They are cheaper for a reason. I also have the K & N cold air intake kit. Make sure to buy some Mass Air Flow cleaner because initially the new k & N filter is very oily and this oils gets sucked into the engine and clogs the sensor. I know this because my check engine light came on when I installed the kit. I cleaned the sensor and it immediately turned off. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The metal kit is more expensive, and it is louder under the hood because it echos and resonates in the tube. Mine is a little quieter I wrapped it in black exhaust heat wrap, then I finished it off with the supplied white K&N sticker looks great and sounds better and most likely resist heat better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did exhaust first and then added the intake. It's really loud at certain RPM ranges, but it also pulls really hard at those ranges as well. Normal driving didn't change much, but when you put your foot in it there is a noticeable difference in power.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Plastic vs. metal intake tubes really makes little difference for an intake. Plastic is definitely better for resisting heat transfer, however it doesn't have much effect in this application since the airflow through the tube is moving rapidly. Since the air moves through the tube quickly it doesn't have enough time to really absorb any heat from the tube.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure if i should have started my own thread for this, i don't want to hijack gashaulers.

Just wondering if my 2006 4.7 would benefit at all and in what form from an intake when i'm towing ? I have stock exhaust and won't be changing it.

I just ran into a buddy that sells them and thought - Hmmm . . .

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
It would be a minimal gain and probably not noticeable, especially by itself. You might find a drop in filter would be a good investment. I use a dry airaid and it's great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks again Sean.
Actually have been using a K&N filter for a year now. I'm sure its doing something but can't really say i noticed anything. I guess the intake would be similar. Was wondering if the intake would be more biased to better mileage, or torque or where people were noticing it useful ?

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Honestly, by itself you most likely wouldn't notice any difference in acceleration, low end torque, or mpg. Maybe slightly at very high rpm's you'd kind of notice a difference.

When you really notice it is when you have intake/exhaust/tune/etc. You have to have a free flowing intake the more you mod the engine otherwise it becomes a big restriction.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^x2 I should have mentioned that. Or what I did temporarily is remove the elbow from fender to airbox and run a tube down under the bumper. This way you don't have to cut the airbox up.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
But the metal ones are so shiny lol Snrusnak makes a good point, with air moving through the tube, plastic or metal, heat sink really only takes place at a stop light. For daily drivers it's not a big deal. If you're taking the truck to the strip all the time and are in it for pure performance I'm sure the plastic tube routed down to the bumper would be the best. But since the most acceleration I do is from the on ramp to the highway to beat that pesky semi in the right lane, I'm ok with the metal tube :smileup:

An intake system is really meant to be used in conjunction with everything else, such as a tuner and full exhaust system to include headers. More air in = more air out. That's when you'll see more performance gains. Until then though you'll get better throttle response and that "roar" sound, but not a whole lot of anything else. Kind of like what I tell a couple of my Ricer buddies, just because you sound faster, doesn't mean you are faster.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
But the metal ones are so shiny lol Snrusnak makes a good point, with air moving through the tube, plastic or metal, heat sink really only takes place at a stop light. For daily drivers it's not a big deal. If you're taking the truck to the strip all the time and are in it for pure performance I'm sure the plastic tube routed down to the bumper would be the best. But since the most acceleration I do is from the on ramp to the highway to beat that pesky semi in the right lane, I'm ok with the metal tube :smileup:

An intake system is really meant to be used in conjunction with everything else, such as a tuner and full exhaust system to include headers. More air in = more air out. That's when you'll see more performance gains. Until then though you'll get better throttle response and that "roar" sound, but not a whole lot of anything else. Kind of like what I tell a couple of my Ricer buddies, just because you sound faster, doesn't mean you are faster.

Oh no i still have the tube i just drilled out a hole in the bottom and ran a tube down to the grill because that stupid fender air inlet is to small and restrictive believe me doing 40 and i mash it and that air really gets in there made a huge difference

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Oh no i still have the tube i just drilled out a hole in the bottom and ran a tube down to the grill because that stupid fender air inlet is to small and restrictive believe me doing 40 and i mash it and that air really gets in there made a huge difference
Ya I noticed that inlet is tiny, I don't get how air is pushed into that area with it basically sealed off behind the headlight and fender liner. Obviously some gets in through the gaps around the headlight housing, but not nearly enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts