DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,
Wanted to get your opinions on something. I am debating between just buying a K&N Drop in filter vs. the entire cold air intake kit from K&N. I am also installing a flowmaster super 44 in place of the factory muffler.

I know you would think "no brainer" go with the CAI system, but i have read in many places that Chrysler has done a pretty good job with the intakes for the Hemi's on these trucks and if i could just free up some flow with a better Air Filter and save myself some money that would be nice as well. Thanks in advance for any responses!

·
Registered
698 Posts
with all the electronics, do we really get any gains from just adding an exhaust and improving the air intake?
Good question. The injectors are a certain size to work within a certain margin of demand. The computer has the ability to compensate above the bone stock setup for fuel delivery and other engine demands within limits. What are those limits? I don't know. Over on the drag racing forum, it seems that there is evidence that decent intake and exhaust mods without an aftermarket tuner do produce some extra power. It probably takes a tuner to really get the biggest bump in power our of the mods. Still, an easy filter/intake mod along with a higher flowing muffler is almost a no-brainer. Here's another way to look at it. If the cheap, simple mod to the stock airbox, a K&N drop-in filter, and a higher flow muffler added no power, you'd at least have a much nicer exhaust tone and a filter you never have to throw away. That alone is worth the price of this scenario.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good question. The injectors are a certain size to work within a certain margin of demand. The computer has the ability to compensate above the bone stock setup for fuel delivery and other engine demands within limits. What are those limits? I don't know. Over on the drag racing forum, it seems that there is evidence that decent intake and exhaust mods without an aftermarket tuner do produce some extra power. It probably takes a tuner to really get the biggest bump in power our of the mods. Still, an easy filter/intake mod along with a higher flowing muffler is almost a no-brainer. Here's another way to look at it. If the cheap, simple mod to the stock airbox, a K&N drop-in filter, and a higher flow muffler added no power, you'd at least have a much nicer exhaust tone and a filter you never have to throw away. That alone is worth the price of this scenario.
I would suggest that you disconnect the battery for a couple of hours to re-set the stored learning tables. The computer will start at stock, like when it was new, and learn with the cold air intake and freer flowing exhaust. It will take it less time to dial itself in to match the options you add.
I modified my airbox by taking off the intake going to the fender well and I purchased a 4" connector which fit with a little modification of the air box then I added a 4" tube down to the tow hook cut out. I put a drop in K&N filter to top it off and the truck runs great. Exhaust is next.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the stock air box is pretty good. I just put the K&N filter in. maby gave me 1mpg better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just to add my 2 cents been a dodge person for years. put in K&N filter in a few dodge's . the only problem i ever had is that the oil in the filter will get on map sensor and mess the mileage up. less is more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you use a oiled filter it takes a little oil to make the filter work. If you put to much oil on the filter it will be sucked off & soak the map sensor & give you problems, possibly map sensor replacement. I am looking at putting good performance dry filters like AFE & Amsoil. But have not bought one as of yet. Hpe this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just added a K&N drop in filter and a 3/4 inch throttle body spacer and holy crap it works really good :) and still gave the stock intake system. I also have true dual flowmaster 50 series mufflers on it :), my truck sounds like a beast :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
the K & N filter

the K & N filter is great,just need to be aware of the oil getting on the MAP sensor. if i were to put a new one in my 2011 would clean the orginal oil off it and spray it myself lightly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I replaced my factory system with the air raid system. Now does it make more power? If it does its minimal no way anyone can say they feel a diffrence. I will say this, it definatly makes the truck sound meaner when you put your foot in it. That said, I find myself with my foot in it alot because it sounds so dam cool.

·
Registered
698 Posts
the K & N filter is great,just need to be aware of the oil getting on the MAP sensor. if i were to put a new one in my 2011 would clean the orginal oil off it and spray it myself lightly.
I've bought and installed tons of K&N filters over the years, and I've observed the initial oiling from the factory to be the ideal application. It almost looks like any excess was predried or something. They must have a very precise way of applying that initial oil amount. I've not seen a problem there. I know you can over oil and require cleaning your MAF sensor wire assembly with some contact or carb cleaner on MAF equipped engines, but is the MAP sensor really subject to that issue? I haven't even studied the system on my '12 hemi at this point, but everyone seems to say the Gen 4 models are MAP systems. I've had to clean the MAF wire system on my cargo van one time in 60,000 miles with a K&N installed...probably would have had to clean it some anyway at that mileage. It took about 15 minutes, contact cleaner, and a couple of simple hand tools.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Are you sure BRH about the hemi's not using a MAP sensor? I know the 4.7L does and also thought the hemi did.

I don't see how oil on the MAP could be much of an issue. Either way it could be cleaned off.

I think most people that have issues with this are the people that had vehicles with MAF sensors. Even then, it would tak a lot of oil. If it's oiled properly should be issue free.

I do however use a dry airaid filter just for ease. Just wash with mild dish soap(like dawn) and water, let dry, then re install. I think they call it "synmesh" or something. An extra $5-$10 but to me it's just easier plus then you save by not buying the oil for the filter which cost at least $5-$10 anyway.

On all the foam filters I've ever had (for lawn equipment, other small engine equipment, motorcycles, etc.) I would just clean with dish soap/water then oil with bar and chain oil for chainsaw's, never had issues but again these were foam filter's on carb'd engines. Not sure it would be wise to use bar and chain oil on a K&N type...maybe though...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
i was going to do a k&n cai on mine, because i had one on my old 03 somona but instead paid a little more and went with the mopar cai system and love it, looks great and sounds very throaty. compliments from my dad, gm guy all the way and from ford guys, sounds great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It was my understanding that the 4x4 trucks with towing package had over sized air boxes so changing them out was futile.

It was that way on the 3rd gen Rams so I just add the drop in filter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts