DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a K&N intake kit (57-1533) on my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup 5.7L and am noticing what sounds to be backfires/misfires. The deep throaty growl is great, but with constant throttle applied cruising or going up incline, I'm hearing/feeling what I would best describe as a "thump", almost like someone bounced a basketball hard in the truck bed. Never hear the sound with the stock resonator and intake.

Any ideas/suggestions/direction/help is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the reply from K&N support to the question, may help others who experience this as well. They replied within hours, so kudos to K&N! Thoughts/comments/feedback on this is welcomed as well.
Thank you for your interest in K&N products. The 2003-2008 5.7L Hemi vehicles are equipped with an electronic throttle control; that is, there is no throttle cable running between the gas pedal and the throttle body. The throttle body is controlled by an electric motor, and processors tells the motor at what angle to open or close the throttle, and when the transmission shifts, the processor is programmed to momentarily close the throttle, making the shift smoother. This momentary closing of the throttle body blade can cause an intermittent popping sound that could be noticeable. This noise can be present on vehicles with the stock system installed, but is muffled by the airbox and stock tube. When the K&N intake is installed the noise can now pass straight out of the tube. This is normal operation for vehicles with electronic throttle control, will not cause a problem with the vehicle, and most importantly is not an issue that is created by the K&N intake system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.