DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, I need some help. I was thinking about getting a K&N Intake for my Dodge but I wanted to know if it was worth the cost, does it add horsepower, does it help with gas mileage.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
It will look better, it will be louder, don't think it makes a difference with gas mileage but may help move air when combined with a good exhaust system.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't buy one unless your getting it real cheap, just run a pvc pipe, elbow, and some couplers to the stock airbox eliminating the hat and accordion tube. If you want a good reusable filter check out the aem dryflow they have a panel filter that fits the stock airbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The maintenance guys where I work put them in all the trucks, they use Silverado 1500s mostly. They swear they get better gas mileage. I want to try one, but we'll see how much it's going to cost. If I spend $300 for 1mpg difference....but on the other hand, if I get some power out of it, it'd be okay. Our Silverados are kind of thrashed out, so I doubt they're gaining anything now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just need some more power under the hood and I really do not wanna go extreme. My Dodge is my every day driver at I want to get better mileage and just some more power. Anything yall can think of?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just need some more power under the hood and I really do not wanna go extreme. My Dodge is my every day driver at I want to get better mileage and just some more power. Anything yall can think of?
I've done just about every bolt on you can do to the 3.7 to mine, the only one that gave me mpg gains was pulling the clutch fan and replacing it w/ an electric fan. It gave me a solid 1.5 mpg gain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just ordered a cheap Ebay intake for my 2012 Ram, $55 to my door. I will post some pics and reviews when it arrives and is installed. I am not looking for HP or fuel economy gains, but if it happens I wouldn't be disappointed. I want it more for the noise, to try and eliminate the sewing machine sound lol. Next up will be the exhaust.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well well, got the intake I ordered yesterday. Meh, not overly impressed. Install was a PITA because of the location of the 3.7 throttle body in the 2012s, way up under the firewall. But the intake, turns out it was a one size fits all type deal. Coupler for the TB was way too big, I assume it was for a 4.7 instead of the 3.7. Oh well, I will either make this one work, make my own intake tube and re-use the filter or just sell the whole deal and start from scratch. Disappointed, but it was a cheap mistake at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts