DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO here is a really goofy (maybe) question.

Anyone have any tips for keeping the undercarriage clean like it is when new?

Ok, I know that sounds dumb....."dont drive it" I guess is the answer...LOL

But the reason I ask -- Got my 2003 Durango when it was a year old and things looked pretty good under there....but lots of raw, unfinished steel......over a period of 9 years, rust was everywhere.

I see that the Ram is glossy black everywhere underneath......wondering if there is any real way to keep it nice under there.

I dont really offroad aside from a beach trip a year and some dirt roads.....but I do live in the salt belt....

The undercarriage of my 72 Barracuda stays pretty clean and rust free, even when driven on occasion in the rain, so I know its the SALT that does it....

Anyone find any way of sealing the paint underneath effectively?

Ok, you can stop laughing out loud now....just had to ask it...LOL

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hard to keep underside clean & detailed in the salt zone, but doable. A 4 post lift helps a lot. First you need to clean everything and paint everything that is not already painted and touchup any scrapes. Then use a synthetic type glaze/sealant coating. This will both protect and keep road crap from sticking. I like diamondbrite but there are plenty of others. Regular wax will not hold up. From there just keep it clean and reapply sealant at least twice a year. Touchup any scrapes as soon as possible after they happen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
SO here is a really goofy (maybe) question.

Anyone have any tips for keeping the undercarriage clean like it is when new?

Ok, I know that sounds dumb....."dont drive it" I guess is the answer...LOL

But the reason I ask -- Got my 2003 Durango when it was a year old and things looked pretty good under there....but lots of raw, unfinished steel......over a period of 9 years, rust was everywhere.

I see that the Ram is glossy black everywhere underneath......wondering if there is any real way to keep it nice under there.

I dont really offroad aside from a beach trip a year and some dirt roads.....but I do live in the salt belt....

The undercarriage of my 72 Barracuda stays pretty clean and rust free, even when driven on occasion in the rain, so I know its the SALT that does it....

Anyone find any way of sealing the paint underneath effectively?

Ok, you can stop laughing out loud now....just had to ask it...LOL
You know I was talking to the wifey one night over dinner and a few drinks about an idea that popped in my head in reference to keeping the undercarriage clean. Whenever I took my boat in salt water I rinsed everything and flushed the engine with a chemical that neutralized the salt effect. So I thought, why not do the same for cars and trucks in areas where salt is used to melt ice and snow. Kinda like a car wash where you can drive your car through a small pool of the chemical or drive the car over spray nozzles that spray under the car....she laughed at me:4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Some car washes in my area, have spray nozzles that spray the under carriage as the rest of the vehicle is getting washed

·
Registered
76 Posts
I make it a habit of periodically washing the undercarriage of all my vehicles. Have for years. About 10-15 years ago GM ran a newspaper ad campaign asking "Are you washing the wrong side of your vehicle"? The jist was that you should also hose off the bottom not just the top that everyone sees.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I buy a bucket of bearing grease and smuge the crap out of all my fuel and break lines, then I tapped a skirt all around the bottom outside of the truck, then put cardboard pieces in front of the wheels (under the truck on the inside) for the over spray and I spray an undercoating from these guys hawkesauto.com ( its actually Eastern that makes the stuff, there the Canadian people for it) Then I spay a special wax Rust Prevention type product inside all the doors, fenders and inside anywhere i can find a hole to put my spray guy plastic tube in, any over flow you can clean up real quick with quick.

http://www.eastwood.com/rustproofing-and-undercoating-system.html

I bought this kit and use it on all my cars, its a great product for the DIY who wants to keep is car protected. I had a 13 year old Grand Cherokee and sold it 2 months ago, still looked like new. Every few years you spray another coat using the same gun kit and thats it. Been great for me. and its not expensive once you have the gun spray kit

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a bug sprayer and a Gal. bottle of WD 40 and sprayed the bottom of my Jeep before I would go wheelin and in the winter before a snow storm, bottom of that Jeep was spotless and I was not shy about mud and water crossings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts