DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used a sun shade on the front windshield of all my vehicles. Living in Nor Cal and Reno it gets hot. Just the other day I put a thermometer inside in the shaded area and it was 145⁰f. That being said, I bought a Dickies brand sun shade that is black on one side and silver on the other. The instructions said to place the black side towards the windshield facing out.
Now I've always been told black draws heat and every other sun shade I've ever owned had the silver reflective side facing out. This, what I considered expensive, sun shade started drooping and won't stay in place. So, I just now flipped it around so the silver shiney side is facing out. I've got a cheap silver sun shade on another vehicle that I swear is 15 yrs old and it still works.
Does anyone have any experience with black vs silver sun shades? I did a search and apparently there's some real high dollar stuff out there! To me, that's rediculous. And I can't afford a $100 sun shade. Besides, do they really work better than a $30 one after the grandkids step on it?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
BTW I saw some Utube video where some dude was demoing a Dickie sunscreen and he put it on black side out. He never indicated which side was supposed to be out. Where did you get the instructions from?

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,022 Posts
I've always used a sun shade on the front windshield of all my vehicles. Living in Nor Cal and Reno it gets hot. Just the other day I put a thermometer inside in the shaded area and it was 145⁰f. That being said, I bought a Dickies brand sun shade that is black on one side and silver on the other. The instructions said to place the black side towards the windshield facing out.
Now I've always been told black draws heat and every other sun shade I've ever owned had the silver reflective side facing out. This, what I considered expensive, sun shade started drooping and won't stay in place. So, I just now flipped it around so the silver shiney side is facing out. I've got a cheap silver sun shade on another vehicle that I swear is 15 yrs old and it still works.
Does anyone have any experience with black vs silver sun shades? I did a search and apparently there's some real high dollar stuff out there! To me, that's rediculous. And I can't afford a $100 sun shade. Besides, do they really work better than a $30 one after the grandkids step on it?
Yes, I have a Dickies one that's silver on one side and dark blue on the other. I do the same thing...silver facing out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to use black side out so it will not kill my dashcam. It works keeps it cool enough here in Phoenix
Are you saying it's hotter with the black side in?
Phoenix is so hot you need oven mitts to open the doors and drive with! It's so hot the lizards carry sticks to stand on once in a while!

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,022 Posts
Are you saying it's hotter with the black side in?
Phoenix is so hot you need oven mitts to open the doors and drive with! It's so hot the lizards carry sticks to stand on once in a while!
Lol I've tried both ways here in Vegas...it's almost as hot as Phoenix. Silver/reflective side facing out is always better, otherwise the shade will absorb way more heat and then radiate it to the rest of the vehicle inside

·
Registered
542 Posts
I hate sun shields. I was convinced to get my front windshield tinted with a 70% ceramic film and I will never go back.
What clinched it for me was getting a reading of 95F on the door panel behind the ceramic tint and 145F on the unprotected dash.

I doubt it's legal in Cali but it's not legal here either and you'll be hard pressed to find a cop car not tinted.

·
Premium Member
2008 Ram 3/4t blacked out , tuned .
29 Posts
I’ve never seen a high dollar sunshade , but it’s always been silver side out / up in summer for the deflection and rejection of heat . Black is definitely for winter to absorb and warm up the interior of the truck. Instructions had to be a mistake. Chinese products are prone to be mislabeled and directions are also lost in translation. I’m with you in regards to everything gets lost, damaged or something like that to not want to spend too much money on it, especially when it’s a sunshade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is basic science, the side with the most reflectivity should face the sun if your goal is to reduce heat absorption inside the vehicle. The aluminized mylar (what most of these shiny ones are covered in) is quite good at reflecting the heat away. . Unless they have developed some new super material the black surface will absorb more heat and then radiate it into the cabin than the silver "shiny" side.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
No matter what the material is...a darker color will always absorb more photons. Just a scientific fact that will never change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts