DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13 ram--my main key fob started doing some odd things a few weeks back and then the other day it went dead completely. Locked out so I used the spare key in the fob and got it going. I figured the battery was gone, it's old enough and been used enough. I manage to pry it open a bit on one side but something is holding it so playing it safe I went to look in the manual. Could not find anything there of course.

So I call the dealer I usually go to.

In the meantime while waiting for someone to pick up I notice a little screw, but it's not going from top down holding the two pieces together--it's going the other direction. I ask the dealer how the thing comes apart--just pry it open, they say. Are you sure--there's a little screw there? Yes she (service tech person) says.

Not trusting her, I call another dealer. Yes some of those "early ones" had a little screw that holds it together. Well it's tiny--phillips head--a VERY tiny one. I had one at home but of course was on vacation, so I buy an eyeglass tool set and sure enough, that screw was holding it together at that point. Replace the battery, clean it up (was not dirty inside the gasket, but was around the outside) and put it back together.

Before I replaced the battery, none of the functions worked.

After replacing the battery--ONLY the door LOCK function works. The unlock does not, and neither does the auto start.

So I still need to use the door key to get in. Only problem now is--as soon as I open the door after unlocking it with the key, the alarm goes off. EVERY time. Can't shut off the alarm with the fob as only the lock function works, but you can shut it off by sticking the fob in the ignition.

Call dealers again. Here's where it gets interesting, looking for any direct esperience with the same problem if there's any out there.

I ended up calling three dealers.

1st dealer says you need a new fob.

How much? 200 bucks or so was the quote from all three dealers, including programming. I found them for sale for 80 bucks but with programming that's still not cheap.

So I call a 2nd dealer and explain it. They say you might need a fob but it could be in need of an alarm system reset. This makes some sense to me--given that the fob with a brand new battery only allows the door lock function to work, it could well be the truck alarm system needs a reset, they say.

3rd dealer says nop, key fob you need a new one. Not an alarm system issue.

So then I try calling Ram Uconnect. Lady there says hang on goes and talks to several colleagues. One of them had the exact same thing happen and reprogramming the existing fob--did NOT need a new fob--worked.

So ultimately I have been given as many as three things to do to get it fixed.

I can't ask people to diagnose without seeing it, but I guess I was hoping to get some verification of whether this issue could be related to an alarm system that needs to be reset. If there's a way to do that myself I'd give that a try first, then I'd have to decide whether to get a new fob or just re-program the one I have.

Since it seems I can't get a consistent answer from Ram folks themselves, Any experience--or knowledge of how the alarm system works with fobs that go bad--would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Did you clean the contacts when you put the new battery in?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you clean the contacts when you put the new battery in?

Gently rubbed an oily substance off but otherwise, no. I was wondering if I should even do that, since the thing seemed pretty well sealed with the gasket I wondered if some type of film was needed for better electrical contact. I did ask about this with one of the service managers who said they don't do anything with them.

What would you use to clean and can it be done without damage? Always been leery of scrubbing circuit boards.

FWIW, back home the other fob that came with the truck--and rarely used--all the functions work fine. So the idea that some alarm issue might be the problem seems less likely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can't give any help on the fob issue itself, but for cleaning electrical contacts there is "electrical contact spray that I use all the time for any electrical cleaning. You can find at just about at any hardware type store. Good luck with the fob issue and please us posted on the outcome.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I was going to sugfest rubbing them with a pencil eraser

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well had a bit of a breakthrough today on the one aspect of this.

I mentioned I tried the spare fob and all the functions on that one worked, without setting off the alarm. I tried opening the car door with the spare key from the spare fob and that did NOT start the alarm sounding.

Then I try the spare key from bad fob again to get into the locked truck, and the Alarm sounds as it did before.

I talked to someone from toll free Ram support and during that conversation had another idea.

I realized that I always had the spare and the bad fob with me in my attempts to figure out what was going on. In other words, both fobs were within proximity to the truck--so if that proximity had some relation to the alarm going off, I had never tried either one with the other fob out of detection range of the truck.

So I ran the bad fob inside. Went back out and got in then started the truck with the working, spare fob. Shut if off and locked it.

Went inside to get the bad fob, leaving the spare working one inside out of detection range. The only function that works on the bad fob is the lock function, so I again try the spare key from the bad fob to get in. This time, I can open the door and NO alarm sounds anymore.

So something with the working fob engaging the truck, starting it and shutting it down--with the bad fob out of range of the truck-- seemed to reset the alarm system so that is no longer a problem. I can get in and out of my truck with either fob without an alarm going off now.

That buys some more time. I'll probably try to fiddle with the bad fob and some contact spray (thanks Badger) to see if I can get it to function better.

If not it comes down to a decision to reprogram the bad fob with no guarantee that will work--but being out 40 bucks or so to find out--or buying a new fob for 80 + another 40 to program it. Leaning towards the latter if further attempts to clean and reinstall don't get it going. I could use a third set for times when I am out in the boonies hunting with others, so each can have a key to get into the truck while others are out.

If anything the whole experience has me longing for a simple key lock and start system to come back!

·
Registered
2 Posts
H

I mentioned I tried the spare fob and all the functions on that one worked, without setting off the alarm. I tried opening the car door with the spare key from the spare fob and that did NOT start the alarm sounding.

Then I try the spare key from bad fob again to get into the locked truck, and the Alarm sounds as it did before.

I talked to someone from toll free Ram support and during that conversation had another idea.

I realized that I always had the spare and the bad fob with me in my attempts to figure out what was going on. In other words, both fobs were within proximity to the truck--so if that proximity had some relation to the alarm going off, I had never tried either one with the other fob out of detection range of the truck.

So I ran the bad fob inside. Went back out and got in then started the truck with the working, spare fob. Shut if off and locked it.

Went inside to get the bad fob, leaving the spare working one inside out of detection range. The only function that works on the bad fob is the lock function, so I again try the spare key from the bad fob to get in. This time, I can open the door and NO alarm sounds anymore.

So something with the working fob engaging the truck, starting it and shutting it down--with the bad fob out of range of the truck-- seemed to reset the alarm system so that is no longer a problem. I can get in and out of my truck with either fob without an alarm going off now.

That buys some more time. I'll probably try to fiddle with the bad fob and some contact spray (thanks Badger) to see if I can get it to function better.

If not it comes down to a decision to reprogram the bad fob with no guarantee that will work--but being out 40 bucks or so to find out--or buying a new fob for 80 + another 40 to program it. Leaning towards the latter if further attempts to clean and reinstall don't get it going. I could use a third set for times when I am out in the boonies hunting with others, so each can have a key to get into the truck while others are out.

If anything the whole experience has me longing for a simple key lock and start system to come back!
What was the outcome of your experience? Were you able to find out what the issue was?

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
1 Posts
Just bought a 2015 ram myself. Both key fobs are acting weak and i changed the batteries with no real effect. Here's the wierd thing. I decided to try it without the shell (just the board, with no plastic cover) and it seemed to work just fine! I am suspecting the antenna or something on the main computer in the vehicle. Not real sure - and those are more expensive, so not real eager to throw money at this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2015 ram myself. Both key fobs are acting weak and i changed the batteries with no real effect. Here's the wierd thing. I decided to try it without the shell (just the board, with no plastic cover) and it seemed to work just fine! I am suspecting the antenna or something on the main computer in the vehicle. Not real sure - and those are more expensive, so not real eager to throw money at this problem.
I'm having the same issue with my Ram 1500 sport. Sometimes I'll get the message, "key fob not detected" even though I'm in the truck and the truck is running. I've called a few different dealerships and they have all told me that I need a new fob. My only concern is that if i buy a new fob, is this same issue going to keep happening? I don't feel like constantly dropping $300 for a re-occurring issue

·
Registered
753 Posts

Where’s the fix

·
Registered
7 Posts
I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A 2011 RAM 2500 HD CREW CAB 4X4 SLT. IT DID NOT HAVE A KEY FOB SO I ORDERED SOME ON EBAY. I TOOK THEM TO A LOCKSMITH TO HAVE PROGRAMMED. THEY START THE TRUCK, BUT THE LOCK/UNLOCK DOESNT WORK. THE LOCKSMITH SAID THEY HAVE HAD THE SAME ISSUE WITH SIMILAR YEAR RAMS. IS THERE A TRICK I COULD PASS ALONG TO GET THEM WORKING?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a '14 1500, and recently decided to install new batteries, figured why wait til they die and possibly invite problems. First i changed it out in the spare fob in case there were issues, which there weren't, then changed out the daily use fob battery (saw the micro screw too...couldn't they make it any smaller??!) When I purchased the truck used it only had one fob, so bought one on Ebay for $35 and the dealer programmed it for nuthin. (Evidently I'm lucky to have one of the few good dealerships!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts