DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell if it’s the key or ignition module.
I get the info center message “wrong key fob”

I have the basic key used in the express models, no security system deal.

LOoking for insight here.
$200 or $1000 is probably what it’ll cost.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine come with two fobs, if you have your other one try it, if not it could be the battery? your key fob should have a replaceable battery in it. I don't know if the battery is needed to start start truck or if it just works the door locks ? But it worth a try.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Checked with Ace. They need the truck. $79
I called the local Lock & KEy with mobile service. $80 service call $80 for the new key.
I talked to Dodge $200 for the key .
Possible WIN module -$1000.
IVe enjoyed my Ram up to this point .
I’m just stunned about what i’m finding about this key/module problem.
This should be a recall item and with this number of key problems it ought to be less than $250 for the whole deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same issue on mine awhile back. Key fob went bad, $250 from dealer and a few months later my ignition controle module took a shit, another $250 from the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In need of some insight..After replacing the battery on the key fob I have been having sporadic low voltage battery messages. I then replaced the battery after replacing the battery on the fob. Seemed to had worked until recently. Now once the low voltage message pops up the power steering fails while driving on the road. After taking it to Autozone they recommended checking the computer system at a local Dodge dealership.

Also The key fob is super sensitive meaning the unlock button is triggered when you barely touch the button. I was advised that replacing the fob and having the fob re programmed might be the culprit but i remain skeptical on that stance.

Right now im scheduled to have the truck towed on monday. Im hoping to avoid the steep dealership costs so im desperately trying to find some help first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
It may be the actual truck battery. The power steering is powered by electric and when the Battery gets low it can effect the ignition switch also called WIN and some call an ignition module as I learned when I had a WIN go bad. Rock auto for a MOPAR WIN about 76 bucks same one ya get from the dealer for hundreds and about 5 minutes work to change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts