DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so

Killed my new battery (1900miles) already.

Left aux on overnight.

I boosted the truck in the morning and immediately got a check engine light
My initiall guess for this was a low voltage on the battery until it got recharged?

The light has since gone after running the truck for half an hour.

Now however ive noticed my check engine light will illuminate when i turn the key to the "RuN" position(last position before i turn to start). It blinks 8-10 times and remains illuninated. However when i turn the truck on it immediately goes away.

Is this normal? And i just coincidentally noticed it now ?

Or should i have it scanned?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hmmm I killed my battery(2-3volts) and all I did was completely charge it back up with a battery charger and I don't get the "flashing check engine" light.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify... Theres no check engine light when the the truck is on, or key turned to ACC.

However when the truck is set to run without the truck on is when i experience this

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
Just to clarify... Theres no check engine light when the the truck is on, or key turned to ACC.

However when the truck is set to run without the truck on is when i experience this
Don't all the lights come on when its in run w/ the engine off?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lights will all briefly illuminate and then dissapear when i turn the key to "ACC"(which i think is normal)
They will also briefly appear and dissapear when i start the truck(which i think is normal)

However the key turned to run(but engine not on) has a steady engine ligh which flashes 8-10 times and stays solid and repeats. However when i start it shows no sign of check engine light accept for the normal brief flash of the dash cluster lights

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't all the lights come on when its in run w/ the engine off?

The lights will all briefly illuminate and then dissapear when i turn the key to "ACC"(which i think is normal)
They will also briefly appear and dissapear when i start the truck(which i think is normal)

However the key turned to run(but engine not on) has a steady engine ligh which flashes 8-10 times and stays solid and repeats. However when i start it shows no sign of check engine light accept for the normal brief flash of the dash cluster lights

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Since at least 2009, the alternators are regulated to ONLY put a surface charge on a battery, the regulator is set up so that the alternator kicks off as soon as the battery has a Surface Charge
You will not ever get a Deep Cycle battery charge from your alternator the way they are set up by Chrysler

If your battery has been drained either over a period of time by constantly running something like auxiliary lights when the vehicle is running, or drained over night by leaving something on while the engine is turned off.
The only way to build the deep cycle charge back up is to put it on a battery charger for several hours.

I recently had to get a jump start & i drove to a battery store.
They rebuild starters, regulators, generators, alternators & diagnose battery problems. They also sell rebuilt & new batteries.
I told them the history of the current battery & the way that i use it. I was told to put it on a 2 AMP charge for about 10 hours to give the battery a good Deep Cycle charge, when i asked if there was a quicker way, they told me that i could use a 6 AMP charge for 8 hours or a 10 AMP charge for no less than 8 hours & for me to do it once a month if i continued to use the battery the way that i do.
I run my headlights & tail lights at full power whenever i am driving
I also run 2 rotating amber lights, like on Tow Trucks, when ever i am on a job.
There is no way that the alternator can keep the battery fully charged when using a vehicle like that 3 to 5 days a week

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since at least 2009, the alternators are regulated to ONLY put a surface charge on a battery, the regulator is set up so that the alternator kicks off as soon as the battery has a Surface Charge
You will not ever get a Deep Cycle battery charge from your alternator the way they are set up by Chrysler

If your battery has been drained either over a period of time by constantly running something like auxiliary lights when the vehicle is running, or drained over night by leaving something on while the engine is turned off.
The only way to build the deep cycle charge back up is to put it on a battery charger for several hours.

They rebuild starters, regulators, generators, alternators & diagnose battery problems. They also sell rebuilt & new batteries.
I told them the history of the current battery & the way that i use it. I was told to put it on a 2 AMP charge for about 10 hours to give the battery a good Deep Cycle charge, when i asked if there was a quicker way, they told me that i could use a 6 AMP charge for 8 hours or a 10 AMP charge for no less than 8 hours & for me to do it once a month if i continued to use the battery the way that i do.
I also run 2 rotating amber lights, like on Tow Trucks, when ever i am on a job.
There is no way that the alternator can keep the battery fully charged when using a vehicle like that 3 to 5 days a week

This is definately very useful information yankee!
Next time im in ill have a quick discussion and bring this up. Ill also look into a deep cycle charger/booster. Im gonna need one with all the time i spend off grid

·
Registered
5,834 Posts

Are you serious? Dang, that is good to know and also depressing. I really need to check mine then because I am serverly overtaxing my electical system with the under drive and all the power eating devices.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
That's why I charge my battery with Noco G7200 battery charger in the spring and fall every year. :wavey:

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,435 Posts

Time to switch to LED amber lights and upgrade your alternator to at least 200 amp.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_536/Dodge-Ram-Trucks.htm

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,435 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts