DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so about a week and a half ago, my front left wheel bearing let go while I was going about 65 on the highway... tire looked similar to / ... had that replaced by the stealership (didn't have time to do it myself that weekend...)

Well, since then I have been having a knock coming from the front left wheel.. Sound usually only happens at low speeds and only while turning. I have a feeling it is going to be my UBJ and LBJ.. So I have those on order, as well as some new tie rod ends.. I am basically rebuilding the whole front end, (going to do the right side too while I'm at it..)

My question is, if this doesn't solve it, does anyone else have any ideas as to what this could be? I'd like to move on to figuring out what the heck is going on inside my rear diff.... has a vibration but only under very specific circumstances... only from a dead stop, and only when turning 90ish degrees... and even then its only sometimes...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the same noise, so I ordered UBJs and wheel bearings, but before the new ones arrived something went while I was on the highway that allowed the axle to come out. In the end I needed a new axle UBJs, wheel bearings, spindles and rotor and pads, fender liner and tire on one side. To this day I have no idea what was the exact cause, but it sure went!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe your bearings let out too! My truck is an 05 but it only has 40,000 miles on it! My bearings are just rusted so they separated from the hub.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having wheel bearing hub follies right now. 26,000 miles - a 2010. I am super teed-off. Trucks are supposed to be tough! And this was a $700 repair. Now I'm seeing lots of reports from Dodge guys saying they are replacing wheel bearing hubs multiple times. Totally regretting buying Dodge.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm feeling the same right now Kingelvis... im about $3k in the hole this month... between expected and unexpected repairs...

On the 10th i'll be replacing both sets upper and lower ball joints, the right front wheel bearing (since the left let out im sure the right is soon behind...) both shocks...

My oil pan has already been replaced since the other one rusted out, and I think my exhaust manifolds aren't too far behind....

Things you wish you could notice while checking out a truck to buy...

Oh and my rear end makes that grind everyone talks about.... going on month 4 of ownership...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so time for an update... replaced all ball joints, upper and lower, both tie rod ends, and STILL I have the knock... it is getting VERY pronounced and my fear is that it is the CV joints.... sucks because if I had thought of that I would have done those while I had the steering knuckle off.... my last effort before I rip the CV joints out is to do the sway bar and sway bar links and the shocks... (all need to be done anyways...) .... lets hope that does it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CV joints are getting replaced tomorrow -___- as a side note don't do business with SDTRUCKSPRINGS.com... They suck. Month after my order is supposed to be in I still had to heard anything, call them up and magically they are shipping today and I'll have tracking info In a few hours... Fast forward 24 hours and another phone call and now they are shipping Thursday :/ ... We shall see

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CV Joints replaced... knock gone. however, after an alignment I have a similar knock that happens only when transitioning from reverse to drive and from drive to reverse.. it will make like 1-4 knocks and then stop until I change directions... I think someone may have failed to fully tighten some nuts on my upper control arms... going back to the shop to see if they will double check my alignment because my steering wheel is still a little right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The vibration in the rear diff. is probably the fluid needing to be changed. I've had some problems out of my 04. Try changing it with the proper fluid and adding the 4oz mopar limited slip additive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had another post going talking about my rear end. I did need a flush, did that and haven't heard a peep out of her since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts