DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
I was wondering about factory rust proofing and if one should go with krown rust proofing instead. Also does anyone one know if Krown rust proofing voids the warrenty for a new ram? any thoughts on the matter would be a great help
cheers
ctc

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was told the Krown won't void the warranty by a Chrysler rep. The stuff they offer you at the dealer level is junk. I made that mistake once and never again. I've been doing Krown since the truck was 1 year old after a body shop repairing my truck after being rear ended showed me how much rust had started inside the body panels above the passenger rear wheel well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to look into it. My plan was to keep in in my Shelter Logic and NOT drive it on crappy days in the winter. I didn't buy the truck for a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You will be fine. I have never had a Ram rust issue in 17 years and I am in the North East. The key is to wash often and spray up under the truck. By doing this my last 2006 2500 Ram I just traded in still looked new underneath. The top side looked immaculate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This leads to my next question that i just thought of...
When should I get the krown rust proofing, I just picked up the truck today, so should I wait a year, or get it done as soon as possible. I live in an area where salt and other de-icers are used very liberally. I just want to get the most life out of my truck, and I really appreciate the help.
cheers,
ctc

·
Super Moderator
34,280 Posts
I live in an area where salt and other de-icers are used very liberally. I just want to get the most life out of my truck, and I really appreciate the help.
cheers,
ctc
That seems to answer the question;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
If the truck is brand new, if you get the truck done within 3 months of it being new, and then get it done every year after that, Krown will warranty rust repairs, I think they have to be rust through. Truck has to be done every year withing 30 days of the anniversary of the last spray.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My last Ram, a 12 QC was done at Crappy Tire at 8 km, left the dealer went a block and a half and had it done.

Present truck done by a friend's son using No Drip product

My 01 Dakota (bought new in 02) had Chrysler rustproofing. top of rear wheel wells perforated in 2010 but started bubbling in 09, front corner of drivers door perforated in 2011. Bothe were repaired by Chrysler but I don't think any future holes were covered. they have a maximum repair $$$. I would rather have had zero rust than covered repairs.

Believe yearly oiling is the best for our area, that been said a friend had his 01 Ford 2500 done at Rust check yearly for 14 years and they wouldn't cover rear wheel well rust saying the area couldn't be reached with their spray..

·
Registered
16 Posts
The wonderful rear quarters is the main reason I've stayed away from Dodge/Ram trucks. I had to change because I needed a 3/4 ton for a bigger camper and couldn't get a Super Duty without chrome. We don't have a Krown dealer locally, but there's a place that does hot oil treatment about an hour away. Has anyone ever done a hot oil treatment for protection? It's either that or Ziebart

·
Registered
86 Posts
My '10 has been rustproofed at Krown since it's first year. I get it done every spring. Body & paint is in mint condition, the undercarriage has some minor surface rust on the rear axle but that's it. It does scrape off though so I'm not worried. Looks really good for a '10 compared to others I've seen.

EDIT: reason for the spring spray is..after the snow/salt season passes, Krown will wash & spray the hell out of the truck and all the grime and salt comes off.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hello everybody,
I was wondering about factory rust proofing and if one should go with krown rust proofing instead. Also does anyone one know if Krown rust proofing voids the warrenty for a new ram? any thoughts on the matter would be a great help
cheers
ctc
I wouldn`t spend the money on factory. I would get krown, the fact they do inside the fenders, rockers, doors and tailgate and rear corners of cab. If you live in a area where they apply tons of salt ,have a look at all the pickups out there and you will see where they rust out.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
If the truck is brand new, if you get the truck done within 3 months of it being new, and then get it done every year after that, Krown will warranty rust repairs, I think they have to be rust through. Truck has to be done every year withing 30 days of the anniversary of the last spray.
Was going to say this ^^^^ Best time to spray is in the spring since over the summer the heat will kind of activate it and let it seep into all the nooks and crannies. Had by 2010 done since new and now my 2014 which was just done. My 2010 was in mint showroom condition when I traded. Krown works period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got Krown done the week I bought my truck. For the price you pay and the piece of mind in knowing it's protected is well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The wonderful rear quarters is the main reason I've stayed away from Dodge/Ram trucks. I had to change because I needed a 3/4 ton for a bigger camper and couldn't get a Super Duty without chrome. We don't have a Krown dealer locally, but there's a place that does hot oil treatment about an hour away. Has anyone ever done a hot oil treatment for protection? It's either that or Ziebart
I haven't done hot oil treatment, but the Ziebart that I had done last fall cost me another $3,000 in overspray removal and repainting that I am still in court over trying to recover the money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kane516, we live in MA. We plan to travel about 2 hours to White River junction to a Krown dealer, It is the closest to us. I sure wouldn't trust the dealer and I haven't heard anything great about Ziebart (Off-Kilter ouch, and good luck)! A 4 hour trip once a year doesn't sound that bad, as long as they have a decent Pub.

Davis Auto And Trailer
1350 Route 14
White River Junction, Vermont, 05001

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does Ziebart even still exist? I had a 79 F100 they did and I sold it as a very well preserved hi mile project truck and their work proved to me that it was money very well spent after 30 yrs of ownership

1 - 17 of 17 Posts