DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started towing a 5th wheel with my 6.4 Liter Ram 2500. I love the truck and it tows fine on moderate hills but when I get to an 8% grade (more or less) the power dies off quickly. I'm new at towing and try to keep the RPM down as much as possible but have been in a situation where the transmission kicks from 2nd to 1st explosively (jumping from mid 3000 to over 4500 RPM). How do I handle this situation? Do I manually hold it in 1st gear all the way up the hill (thinking of the coquihalla or Grants Pass for examples- long steep hills). I'm reluctant to run at high RPMs for an extended period of time although the maximum torque is supposed to be at 4000 RPM. I'm afraid I'll damage the engine 'can't help thinking I'm missing something, A little driving tutorial would be appreciated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've recently started towing a 5th wheel with my 6.4 Liter Ram 2500. I love the truck and it tows fine on moderate hills but when I get to an 8% grade (more or less) the power dies off quickly. I'm new at towing and try to keep the RPM down as much as possible but have been in a situation where the transmission kicks from 2nd to 1st explosively (jumping from mid 3000 to over 4500 RPM). How do I handle this situation? Do I manually hold it in 1st gear all the way up the hill (thinking of the coquihalla or Grants Pass for examples- long steep hills). I'm reluctant to run at high RPMs for an extended period of time although the maximum torque is supposed to be at 4000 RPM. I'm afraid I'll damage the engine 'can't help thinking I'm missing something, A little driving tutorial would be appreciated.
Are you using the tow mode?????Whats your gearing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried both with and without the tow mode. I think my problem is with my lack of knowledge as to what to expect with my truck and gearing. Is it normal to pull in 1st. gear at high RPM for extended time? Axle ratio is 3.73

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pull my 29' toy hauler loaded 10,000lb. I try not to let engine rev pass 4000rpm. Just let the engine and truck work & keep it in tow mode. It's not a CTD,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts