DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to work this morning and apparently didn't get the word that we had all been given the day off today. Had a little bit to do then came home earlier today, so I figured I could get some stuff done that I need to.

-Colt needs washed, the wife drove her through some mud so it looks a little dirty.
-Thunderhorse hasn't been washed in 2 weeks and waxed in a month so she needs waxed.
-She needs a tire rotation too, haven't been able to get into the shop since I changed the oil 2 weeks ago.
-Rolled over 66,200 miles so my mechanical steed is due for a transmission fluid change.

Its pretty bright out today and the wife has to work, I prefer her to help me wash and wax. I didn't have an appointment to get the tires rotated and balanced and its too late in the day to be first in line when they open like usual (that will happen Saturday); so that leaves the transmission fluid change.

I have all the parts, however I need a level surface to make sure I fill it right, which my driveway is not:

So I got to thinking and busted out the tape measure. Turns out, when the garage opener is feeling strong (I say this because its the most underpowered screw-drive POS I've ever used) it will hold the door 1" or less higher than my shark fin. So with my wife ground guiding me I managed to fit Thunderhorse in the garage-she even fit lengthways so that I can close the garage door.

I know I have complained many times about my garage being too small to park my truck in, but I have to admit that I was wrong. The game has changed, ladies and gents. This will enable me to detail my truck in inclement weather or when my hillbilly neighbors across the street (who park their 2016 Camaro SS in the yard and their 30 year old Chevy and Ford beater trucks in the driveway) burn their trash-which seems to be every time I go to wash my truck. Yes, we have trash pickup in our neighborhood.

Once my transmission cools down to about 100*F I will change the fluid-that will be another thread.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
My wife would kill me to death, shoot me, hang me and then stab me to death, if I ever would make a transmission fluid change in (her) driveway, while doing it and being defenseless under the truck. Latest, when one 0.005 micron size oil drip would hit the ground. And she has a timing for showing up exactly in that moment.
If I think I need a transmission fluid change- I'd rather pay someone doing it- safer for my life.
I learned, after I replaced timing belt and water pump at her old previous charger. I'm so lucky to be still alive! Let's celebrate this circumstance.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife would kill me to death, shoot me, hang me and then stab me to death, if I ever would make a transmission fluid change in (her) driveway, while doing it and being defenseless under the truck. Latest, when one 0.005 micron size oil drip would hit the ground. And she has a timing for showing up exactly in that moment.
If I think I need a transmission fluid change- I'd rather pay someone doing it- safer for my life.
I learned, after I replaced timing belt and water pump at her old previous charger. I'm so lucky to be still alive! Let's celebrate this circumstance.
Really? All you need is to drop cat litter on oil spills and grind it in with your foot. Leave it for a few hours and it will sweep away. We use this stuff at work called "Dry Sweep" which is just repackaged kitty litter that costs (the taxpayer) a lot more.

I don't like paying labor for easy services; my wife only cares if I'm spending more time with the truck than with her, but she is working. Plus if I took it somewhere it would take longer and cost a lot more. When I explain to her the hundreds of dollars I save she's happy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Liftmaster operators can be adjusted to open the door higher than the opening.
They also can send you a message if your garage door is open or closed if you're away from home. You can open and close it from your phone as well.

The screen is called a Lifestyle screen. Man cave status. :smileup:

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Them screens are nice- I could get my wife into them...

@ Thunderhorse- It doesn't matter if it's possible to clean it up- it's the fact that I did it. My wife has cleaning ocd. As I took her charger apart for the timing belt, I laid all parts nicely on a white blanket (I'm a clean worker) in order, how I took it out. But with all them big parts- well- it looked somewhat cramped- ok- hey- I'm working. I went into the house get me a snack and something to drink, not knowing, that exactly at this time, my wife came into the garage and yeah...she cleaned up. don't have to tell you, what that caused- especially with all them screws in different length and some for the timing belt, some for the water pump, some for the tensioner, some for the gears, some for the covers, radiator, etc...- they was all neatly in a bucket, all parts nice in a corner and she started sweeping and mopping the floor, as I came out.
I changed my oil on the old truck and I ended up buying a tarp 12x20 and drove on it before I started anything. I'm at the point, that I say- don't get stressed- I go to the shop and stay there, while they doing it, just to make sure, they doing it right.
Yes- I can't even leave a glass on the counter without it being moved into the sink or in the dishwasher. But on the other side- our house always looks spotless. I like that too.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Them screens are nice- I could get my wife into them...

@ Thunderhorse- It doesn't matter if it's possible to clean it up- it's the fact that I did it. My wife has cleaning ocd. As I took her charger apart for the timing belt, I laid all parts nicely on a white blanket (I'm a clean worker) in order, how I took it out. But with all them big parts- well- it looked somewhat cramped- ok- hey- I'm working. I went into the house get me a snack and something to drink, not knowing, that exactly at this time, my wife came into the garage and yeah...she cleaned up. don't have to tell you, what that caused- especially with all them screws in different length and some for the timing belt, some for the water pump, some for the tensioner, some for the gears, some for the covers, radiator, etc...- they was all neatly in a bucket, all parts nice in a corner and she started sweeping and mopping the floor, as I came out.
I changed my oil on the old truck and I ended up buying a tarp 12x20 and drove on it before I started anything. I'm at the point, that I say- don't get stressed- I go to the shop and stay there, while they doing it, just to make sure, they doing it right.
Yes- I can't even leave a glass on the counter without it being moved into the sink or in the dishwasher. But on the other side- our house always looks spotless. I like that too.
Got ya, I came back from the field a few weeks ago and couldn't find half my uniforms. The wife "cleaned the house."

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I added a 4ft bump out high enough for the hood to clear. Have plenty of height. Truck fits great along with my 1972 Lincoln and 08 cadillac DTS They sleep in a nice 70F all winter.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
They also can send you a message if your garage door is open or closed if you're away from home. You can open and close it from your phone as well.

:repplus: That I like :smileup:

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Glad to read you gave it a shot and it worked :smileup:

Sparky just barely fits and he's a RCSB :SHOCKED:

My garage is a converted carport, back in the day the vehicles
were so long that they would stick out from under the awing !

·
Registered
335 Posts

That's really cool. Unfortunately not MN friendly. We need insulated doors..

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's really cool. Unfortunately not MN friendly. We need insulated doors..
This is in Wisconsin. :wavey:

This is the openings with the garage doors down and the screens up. (Screens ride in their own track up and out of the way of the door)

No bugs, no leaves, nice breeze through the house.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
looks nice. And you actually was able to find the one day in Wisconsin without snow to make the picture! awesome!

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is in Wisconsin. :wavey:

This is the openings with the garage doors down and the screens up. (Screens ride in their own track up and out of the way of the door)

No bugs, no leaves, nice breeze through the house.

I guess it could be worse, you could be in Iowa... :LOL:
I'll need to keep that in mind when i build, freaking brilliant idea.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice, I'm in Waukesha as well just north of the Legend at Merrill Hills. Small world. Down here we don't get considerable snow accumulation.

Sorry for the derail, but T-Horse how does that floor hold up to jackstands and dropping larger tools? Reviews do not really state much.
I don't have jackstands yet unfortunately but so far I have not seemed to damage them by dropping anything. My ramps will slide just a little on the surface if I dont brace them. Seems pretty tough

1 - 20 of 39 Posts