DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2017 Big Horn this afternoon. While looking at the vehicle, noticed that the tired will need to be changed in the very near future. I'd like to throw on some aggressive looking tires that are larger than stock without rubbing. 20 inch wheels.

Thank you!

Edit: Will likely add a leveling kit+Wheels into the mix later on, but for now the truck is bone stock.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Might be able to get 33s or close to it, I had a 2014 stock height crew cab with 33x12.5 20 but on after market wheels with a bit of offset. Stock wheels may rub wheel well a little when turning

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
I put 275 65 20's on when I first got my truck. Around town there were no issues. It only became a problem when I went off road. The fender would come down hard on the tire. Very unpleasant. Leveled and issue solved. So go for it.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
275/65/20 is a 34.1" tire. With stock 20 inch wheels you already have 33" tires (275/60/20) so it's not that much of a difference. I leveled my truck before I put the 34's on because leveling was my primary concern to be able to get a plow on. I noticed that the 275/60/20 tires wore quickly, both stock and Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but the 34's have a much deeper tread so they will last longer. Obviously there's a mpg penalty.

·
Registered
683 Posts
No free lunch, more aggressive tires will hurt mpgs. My work truck, 2017 Bighorn hemi has 72,000 miles on the 275/60/20 oem GY SRA's. My Ecodiesel gets driven a bit harder, but they will easily make it to 50,000 miles. Let a friend do a giant burn out with the Ecodiesel, didn't help rear tire wear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I put 275 65 20's on when I first got my truck. Around town there were no issues. It only became a problem when I went off road. The fender would come down hard on the tire. Very unpleasant. Leveled and issue solved. So go for it.
This is what I'm worried about going with a 275 65 20... I was wondering if it would rub even though it's not an extensive tire size change. I need tires pretty soon and don't have the cash for the level right away so I'm jaded...:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts