DODGE RAM FORUM banner

841 - 860 of 918 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yep, this is the third one that I had to find that died under the house. Each one smelled to high heaven, it was enough to gag a maggot, adn they are smell, only about 3 inches long. They seem to get to a place where there is a hole/vent where the air flow can come up into the house before they die. I sealed up the hole where they were getting in so hopefully this the last one. Come summer I am going to cover the area with some metal to hopefully prevent them from getting in again. I had to open the window in the bedroom to air it out some and the temp was only about 40 degrees today.
I had a gopher tortoise burrow under my house several years back. They are protected in FL and can not be relocated. During one torrential summer storm his tunnel flooded. I was out in the pouring rain trying to get him out without success. Sadly he drown. He was right under the slab under the master bedroom. Very sad and smelly. I ended up having to dig him out. The smell... OMG! FWIW, he was a very cool tortoise, I named him Teddy. He loved romaine lettuce and kale. Healthy little reptile.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Morning!

Last night I got the powered 8" subwoofer installed under the driver's seat and the power run for the relay controller out of the stereo -- hopefully this will be the last that I need to crack open the dash for wiring purposes. Today UPS freight drops off my winch-tray-grill-guard, which hopefully I can get installed before the forecasted snowstorm for southeast PA this weekend.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Morning. Just hope, today will be eventless like yesterday. I like that. Yes, I'm boring- but I had my hay days- and I did not leave much out- so I've done already, what others do in their midlife crisis and know- ain't working. Happy eventless day.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Morning. Just hope, today will be eventless like yesterday. I like that. Yes, I'm boring- but I had my hay days- and I did not leave much out- so I've done already, what others do in their midlife crisis and know- ain't working. Happy eventless day.
I know exactly what you mean. What I do from 8 - 5 pays the bills. I don't want my phone to ring, I don't want to have to cover someone elses job or answer any stupid questions. I just want to do my job to the best of my abilities, turn in my work on time & go home at 5:00.
Hope your day has been uneventful so far...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Morning!

Last night I got the powered 8" subwoofer installed under the driver's seat and the power run for the relay controller out of the stereo -- hopefully this will be the last that I need to crack open the dash for wiring purposes. Today UPS freight drops off my winch-tray-grill-guard, which hopefully I can get installed before the forecasted snowstorm for southeast PA this weekend.
You make me tired just reading your posts. I remember the days when I had the time, money and energy to do all that, well, on my boat more than the truck, but still....
Looking forward to seeing the pics when you're done....

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Pretty event less day for me. I called in some prescription refills yesterday for pickup today. Got to the drug store about 11:30 AM and they were not ready so had to wait about 30 minutes. They also did not have one in stock so they had to order it and I will have to go back tomorrow and pick it up. 25 mile one way trip to the drug store pissed me off. I think I am going to change stores to a different one that is a few miles closer. This is not the first time this has happened.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You make me tired just reading your posts. I remember the days when I had the time, money and energy to do all that, well, on my boat more than the truck, but still....
Looking forward to seeing the pics when you're done....
Here's the grill guard on the pallet:

So far I have the support brackets and winch tray installed, I still have to torque everything to spec at this point:

More pics to come when I get some extra hands to help me lift the grill guard up after I get the winch installed!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Pretty event less day for me. I called in some prescription refills yesterday for pickup today. Got to the drug store about 11:30 AM and they were not ready so had to wait about 30 minutes. They also did not have one in stock so they had to order it and I will have to go back tomorrow and pick it up. 25 mile one way trip to the drug store pissed me off. I think I am going to change stores to a different one that is a few miles closer. This is not the first time this has happened.
That is really frustrating. It's like nobody gives a crap anymore about doing a good job.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
That is really frustrating. It's like nobody gives a crap anymore about doing a good job.
No, they don't. Our generation is dying out. We're the last ones with at least some honor left.
I always told my apprentices: "Every piece of work- regardless, what you do in life- every single piece of work you give is your business card." That's how I still work. But even there- nobody cares anymore- it's almost, like nobody even expects anymore to get 100% work for 100% money... Sad...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Our generation is dying out. We're the last ones with at least some honor left.
Well yeah, our generation (I'm assuming you mean the boomers) is dying out, but I disagree with your second assertion completely.
Are there plenty of lazy shiftless angle-shooters among the younger generations? You bet there are, but that's always been the case. Hell, even the Romans complained about "the youth" a couple thousand years ago, and I certainly recall my dad having some choice words about "that Led Zeppelin racket".

But I've found a lot of inspiration from today's millennials too. Many have entered the food industry with a strong sense of honor and dignity, and are now starting all kinds of businesses producing what are being called "artisinal" beers, chocolate, breads, coffees, pizzas, and much more, using ethically produced raw materials from sources which don't treat their hired help like crap and make a big environmental mess.
The "farm to market" niche is booming with small scale agricultural projects from coast to coast gaining a lot of traction, and the demand is rising as people begin to see how the mainstream food supply is becoming increasingly toxic.
Working with some of these inspiring young people, and sharing the "old time" skills I've acquired over the years is now the high point of my life.

Among a lot of today's youth, it's the idea that "business and profit is king" no matter the costs is what's dying, not honor and dignity, and not a moment to soon.
It wasn't the younger generation who drove that "greed is good" bullshit back in the Reagan years, now was it. That was our generation, and it's time we owned it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
howdy ya'll. I've missed a bit in my short absence. grateful I haven't smelled the varmints, grateful I don't have expensive repairs to make, surely grateful for our good health, but sure wish I had gone to bed and missed that Clemson game. but HEY, Panthers are getting their offensive master mind.
ya'll stay safe, have fun, stay in touch. been a few late nights and tomorrow heading to Biltmore in Asheville.
Good night everybody :sleep:

·
Registered
791 Posts
howdy ya'll. I've missed a bit in my short absence. grateful I haven't smelled the varmints, grateful I don't have expensive repairs to make, surely grateful for our good health, but sure wish I had gone to bed and missed that Clemson game. but HEY, Panthers are getting their offensive master mind.
ya'll stay safe, have fun, stay in touch. been a few late nights and tomorrow heading to Biltmore in Asheville.
Good night everybody :sleep:
Night Tee

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well yeah, our generation (I'm assuming you mean the boomers) is dying out, but I disagree with your second assertion completely.
Are there plenty of lazy shiftless angle-shooters among the younger generations? You bet there are, but that's always been the case. Hell, even the Romans complained about "the youth" a couple thousand years ago, and I certainly recall my dad having some choice words about "that Led Zeppelin racket".

But I've found a lot of inspiration from today's millennials too. Many have entered the food industry with a strong sense of honor and dignity, and are now starting all kinds of businesses producing what are being called "artisinal" beers, chocolate, breads, coffees, pizzas, and much more, using ethically produced raw materials from sources which don't treat their hired help like crap and make a big environmental mess.
The "farm to market" niche is booming with small scale agricultural projects from coast to coast gaining a lot of traction, and the demand is rising as people begin to see how the mainstream food supply is becoming increasingly toxic.
Working with some of these inspiring young people, and sharing the "old time" skills I've acquired over the years is now the high point of my life.

Among a lot of today's youth, it's the idea that "business and profit is king" no matter the costs is what's dying, not honor and dignity, and not a moment to soon.
It wasn't the younger generation who drove that "greed is good" bullshit back in the Reagan years, now was it. That was our generation, and it's time we owned it.
You have a great and fortunate perspective based on your industry and experiences and I hope the young people you work with appreciate your generosity as much as you appreciate the inspiration and joy you receive from working with them.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Morning Y'All. Not much planned for today. Have to go pick up that prescription and my new glasses then a little Wally World shopping.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Good Morning Everyone.
I hope your errands go better than yesterday, airforce.
Guy, here's hoping for another uneventful day!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Good Morning Everyone.
I hope your errands go better than yesterday, airforce.
Guy, here's hoping for another uneventful day!
Well some went OK and others not so good. Went ot pick up the glasses and the bifocal was not right. I forgot that most eye doctors set the bifocal for reading to about 12-15 inches. I read at about 20 inches so every time they have to redo the bifocal. It has been so long since I got glasses that I forgot about this and did not tell the doctor to adjust it. Now I have to wait about another 6 weeks. Then they said that they quit getting glass lenses 3 days ago. They are going to talk to their tech people and see if they can still get me the glass lenses. I prefer glass over plastic/carbon lenses as I am pretty rough on my lenses when I clean them and glass doesn't scratch as easy as the others.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well some went OK and others not so good. Went ot pick up the glasses and the bifocal was not right. I forgot that most eye doctors set the bifocal for reading to about 12-15 inches. I read at about 20 inches so every time they have to redo the bifocal. It has been so long since I got glasses that I forgot about this and did not tell the doctor to adjust it. Now I have to wait about another 6 weeks. Then they said that they quit getting glass lenses 3 days ago. They are going to talk to their tech people and see if they can still get me the glass lenses. I prefer glass over plastic/carbon lenses as I am pretty rough on my lenses when I clean them and glass doesn't scratch as easy as the others.
The joys of being visually impaired... I explored all my options in my 40s and settled on contact lenses for every day & distance with readers over for reading and computer work.
I hope you're able to get your bifocals fixed without a 6 week wait. That's ridiculous!

841 - 860 of 918 Posts