DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I think there's a leak in my manifold. It's loud when I start it for a couple of minutes then it sounds normal. I have a camping trip planned this weekend and would have to haul a small camper for about an hour. Could it make things worst? I can only bring the truck in at the garage next week.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it a rapid ticking noise that slowly fades after the engine warms up?
Had that recently (2011 1500, 120k miles), diagnosed as some broken exhaust manifold bolts that had to be replaced. Dealer said common. Internet search shows common too. Starting to hear it on other side now.
As the connection heats up, expands, it seals off apparently - hence the classic disappearing of the noise in short order. One can DYI, but not easy (drilling carefully/easy outs, welding a nut to bolt end, and so on). I will leave for the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,181 Posts
Hardluck78 - I took the liberty of adding some of your Ram's info in your title. The best of luck to you on this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a rapid ticking noise that slowly fades after the engine warms up?
Had that recently (2011 1500, 120k miles), diagnosed as some broken exhaust manifold bolts that had to be replaced. Dealer said common. Internet search shows common too. Starting to hear it on other side now.
As the connection heats up, expands, it seals off apparently - hence the classic disappearing of the noise in short order. One can DYI, but not easy (drilling carefully/easy outs, welding a nut to bolt end, and so on). I will leave for the dealer.
It sounds like the same issue. I'm just wondering if it's ok to drive it for this camping trip or if I'm just going to make it worst.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Likely the worst that will happen is that the gasket would get blown out and get much louder.

I just noticed that my passenger side seems to be doing this...i might be due as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It sounds like the same issue. I'm just wondering if it's ok to drive it for this camping trip or if I'm just going to make it worst.
The dealer mentioned burning up the associated exhaust valves over time as a worse case scenario, but said was a longer term issue. There are others - engine performance if bad, heating nearby components if bad, carbon monoxide (running down the road can't perceive an issue). I had my issue for many months before fixing. My opinion is you are most safe if the leak goes away in minutes of engine warming. If it constant even with many miles, I would be more concerned. I towed a 5000# travel trailer repeatedly, and wasn't worried as the pattern was consistent - thermal expansion of parts, leak went away after 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mechanic called me today and it wasnt making any noise when he started it. He did try a few time when the engine was cold. He took it apart, gasket and studs are good. I wonder what else it could be. He also mentioned that there is play in the front axle. Might be costly repair. I only got the truck 6 months ago. Hope it's not a lemon...

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
front axle should be 5yr/100K Drive train waranty Issue

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I think there's a leak in my manifold. It's loud when I start it for a couple of minutes then it sounds normal. I have a camping trip planned this weekend and would have to haul a small camper for about an hour. Could it make things worst? I can only bring the truck in at the garage next week.
Thanks in advance
Broken manifold bolts are very common and I'd bet $$ that is the issue. I've had dealer replace 2 on mine and I've got a GMC YukonXL with same. To your question... I would say you'll be fine for the weekend outing. I have a 4000lb boat that I had to pull about 500 miles with bad bolt. Can it make things worse? Yes, easier for more bolts to break as the manifold lifts some without a bolt head to hold down that section. But, I would do it. Then next week get it done. If under 100k miles, covered under warranty - take to dealer (at least my 2014 is which I'm sure same). Happy camping!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You'll read about many many on the 2 main Ram forums put on different manifolds and/or try different bolts. I'm waiting until it's no longer covered by warranty. Then weigh the costs but if you don't have a welder - SO hard to get a broken bolt out of there any other way!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
The bolts on my driver side manifold have been broken for 19,000 kms and I am to busy/lazy to bring it in. My bumper to bumper runs out in January but it will be going in this fall a little early for its 30,000 km checkup and I will get the manifold repaired then. A planned trip to Ohio was cancelled because of rain in June but if it goes ahead next year I will head to the Summit warehouse for new headers.

Reactions: ranhood

·
Registered
44 Posts
2009 Dodge Ram crewcab Rambox 1500, hemi
248,790 on the clock
Replaced the exhaust bolts 3 xs
Some on both sides
Covered under lifetime power train warranty

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks in advance
I have 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
It’s broken manifold bolts. Common issue and is covered under warranty, just had it done 3 weeks ago!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
It’s broken manifold bolts. Common issue and is covered under warranty, just had it done 3 weeks ago!
Thanks Dcsjoc. My noise started around 70K. I now have 84K. I thought it may be the lifters at first. But after checking things out here, (excellent stuff to be found on this site BTW) I'm 99.5% certain it's a manifold bolt issue. I came looking to see if it would be covered under my power train warranty. You gave me my answer(y)(y)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts