DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my V6 is leaking oil and a mechanic checked it out and said the lifters are bad so I'm going to have to replace all lifters??? I never replaced any so i dont really know what to expect. I assumed I had to buy a gasket set for the heads. Is there anything else that I need to know before I tackle this project? Do I need a entire head gasket set?

·
Registered
69 Posts
So my V6 is leaking oil and a mechanic checked it out and said the lifters are bad so I'm going to have to replace all lifters??? I never replaced any so i dont really know what to expect. I assumed I had to buy a gasket set for the heads. Is there anything else that I need to know before I tackle this project? Do I need a entire head gasket set?
That engine has lash adjusters, not lifters. They reside in the head in pockets machined out for them. You need a tool to compress the valve spring. If you remove the valve cover and find the "lifter" lying outside it's pocket, you likely have dropped a valve seat and will have to replace the head or heads. I was able to buy rebuilt heads for one from O'Reilly's auto parts, so you can get heads if necessary from your local parts house. It is a huge job requiring special tools and dealing with 3 timing chains and the front engine cover has to come off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts