DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After adding the floor well lighting to the Ram the yellow interior lights just looked horrible, so I decided enough was enough and ordered the Putco Interior LED kit.

Floor lighting thread here....

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82551

Map lights before....

Map lights after....

Rear dome before....

Rear dome after....

I have to say that getting the little bulbs out of the map lights was a nightmare! The glass was too slick to get grip with just your fingers, pliers by themselves wasn't an option as they wouldn't grip either. I finally had to cut small pieces of duct tape wrap it on the bulb then pull them out. It was almost an ordeal! Other than that little obstacle it took all of about 10 minutes to do this little mod. Now being as sunset isn't until 10:05 pm tonight and it still stays light until 11pm it will be damn near midnight before I get a chance to really see these shine! No pun intended.

Being as I was doing lights I continued on with the inexpensive lighting mods today. I'm not a fan of the stock bulbs at all and threw in a set of Putco Mirror White 4000k bulbs in the lows and fogs. I rarely get to use high beams so I installed these today....

Not sure if the pictures will show the difference here but here is the factory fog in the passenger side and the Mirror White in the Drivers side...

I tried to get a shot of the lowbeams but my camera just can't capture the difference in the color of the light. It's a huge difference! I can hardly wait till midnight to go and test these bad boys.
Removing the headlights wasn't quite the chore I thought it was going to be. I had both headlights in and out just shy of a half hour. If you have a long extension and a gob of duct tape in the socket you can get the headlights out without having to pull the grill. It was harder getting the damn rad cover off than it was pulling the headlights! I'll try posting some video of the headlights and fogs in action much later tonight....if my playbook or blackberry can capture it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Very nice! Rep for that.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome man !!!! So where did you get the interior LED kit and at what cost ? I like the idea of getting it all in one shot.
It was a little on the pricey side, $75.00 for the three bulbs required. I picked it up in Edmonton at Buzz Boxliner.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
It was a little on the pricey side, $75.00 for the three bulbs required. I picked it up in Edmonton at Buzz Boxliner.
Actually that is not too bad at all as LEDs are expensive to start with. Who makes the kit so I can see if someone here local sells it ? I'm suffering mod withdrawl :doh: since the postal strike has me holding off on purchases from Ebay or anywhere else that requires shipping.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
sweet mods bud.....iv been meaning to do this aswell just havnt got around to it yett...reps for the pics tho:)

Reactions: nikeman

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Looks really good! Did you change out the vanity lights in the sun visors also? Do you even have those? I like the fog lights also, what did those with the low beams run you? I really want all white lighting on my ram now!

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reps guys!
Just went and did a test drive with the new bulbs and it's still too light out to really tell how much better they are. I will tell you this those interior LED's are AWESOME! With the floor lighting I did it's a perfect match.

However I do have a problem....not sure how or why but my drivers side headlight is totally out of adjustment. Must not have the damn thing seated properly. Guess I'll have to pull it out tomorrow and re-seat it. It's lower and pointing a little to the right or toward the passengers side. Strangest damn thing I've ever seen.

I tried to get a video of the interiors and the headlights but all I have for cameras are my blackberry and blackberry playbook....neither will pick it up and do it justice.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks really good! Did you change out the vanity lights in the sun visors also? Do you even have those? I like the fog lights also, what did those with the low beams run you? I really want all white lighting on my ram now!
Damn didn't even think about the vanity lights....excellent another little mod to do :smileup:
The lows and fogs were a whopping $35.00 a pair. The true test will come on a dark rainy night but I can tell you this, they are a hell of a lot whiter than the stocks. Not 100% sure if they are really any brighter but the whiter light should make a huge difference in visibility.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I used to be a HUGE streetglow fan way back in the day and now they make interior LED bulbs.. Do any of you guys have experience with there brand bulbs because I am thinking they may be cheaper.. Will have to do some research I guess.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
also, does the kit replace the glove box light? And will it fit a Quad Cab outdoorsman? It seems to only fit a crew cab...

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Putco kit only does the map lights and dome lights. I haven't checked to see if they have LED bulbs for glove box and vanity lights but I'll be looking into those come payday!

·
Registered
816 Posts
How glaring is it if someone turns on the map lights now while you are driving. I love this mod, but my fear is that my wife will need to turn one on at night and blind me.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
How glaring is it if someone turns on the map lights now while you are driving. I love this mod, but my fear is that my wife will need to turn one on at night and blind me.
buy her a little flashlight lol. lucky me I only have 1 dome light, damn ST!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts