DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..so I need some help.:wow: I installed LED map lights and dome light on my 2009 2500. The map lights only work when the dome light switch is
turned on or the doors open.:doh: They do not come on when the map light switch is pushed on. The dome light operates when it is suppost to,but flickers all the time.:158: Any cure for these problems? Thanks:smileup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
ARe they the LEDs with build in resistors?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Only thing I can think if is to verify that the aft tab is outboard like in this photo:

Note this is from my 2011 1500.

Oh, also verify that the dome light is not switched in the on position (I don't recall the symptoms but I do recall if confused me for a minute during map light checkout after I installed the LEDs).

HTH

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I would check to make sure that the lil push button gizmo that "clicks" the lights on didn't get pushed out of the way when you re-installed the lenses. I did this and it was a PITA to get it back in position.

As for the dome light, make sure that the contacts are fitting properly, a loose connection will cause a bit of flickering... You also might want to flip the lamp over... (put the left side on the right, and the right on the left). For some reason LEDs seem to be polarity sensitive.

good luck and keep us updated

Exco

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LED interior light problem

To answer some questions
SS4 Do not know if they have built in resistor.:4-dontknow: I got these some SuperbrightLED and according to them these are the lights I needed.:smileup:
Royw Tab is ok:smileup:
Excoastie Switch is ok as it still works will the old bulbs:smileup:
NOW.. With out doing a darn thing here is out is up . All the lights flicker until the ignition switch is turned on and then the lights are normal brightness:4-dontknow:,however they are on all the time ,very dim about 10 percent brightness:Wow1:even when the dome light switch is off.Turn the ignition switch off and the lights go out. The map lights also now work normal,no matter what postion the ignition switch is in:SHOCKED:.This does appear to be a Murphy operation:wow:,as in Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a similar problem in my '04 Ram 1500. The LEDs I bought (from superbrightleds.com) work properly when I open my doors, but they dont work when I push them in. Both map lights and my dome light dont work. I have to use the dome selector switch on the side to turn the lights on (its turns all 3 on). I havent been able to figure out why, and I know another member on here said he was having the same problem too and was using the same solution as me.

From what I know from talking to a couple guys at superbrightleds they dont have any of the lights we need for inside that have the resistors built in. I do know that when I had LEDs with resistors in them the lights worked properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To fix your problem and all problems with the interior lights just get 150 ohm 1/2 watt resistors. Put one resistor with each festoon bulb into the socket . Radio shack sells them, a pack of 5 resistors is about a dollar. Make sure each end of the resistor touchs both ends of the bulb and socket. The LEDs will now act like your stock bulbs. You must never use a resistor more then 150 ohms. This is the only way to fool the computer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
292 Posts
^^^^exactly. i have a 100ohm 1W resistor in my maps and they have been working great. you have to remember that all leds have a fraction of the energy pull than halogen anything. resistors is something you will hear for most led applications like led blinkers and stuff.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I have a similar problem in my '04 Ram 1500. The LEDs I bought (from superbrightleds.com) work properly when I open my doors, but they dont work when I push them in. Both map lights and my dome light dont work. I have to use the dome selector switch on the side to turn the lights on (its turns all 3 on). I havent been able to figure out why, and I know another member on here said he was having the same problem too and was using the same solution as me.

From what I know from talking to a couple guys at superbrightleds they dont have any of the lights we need for inside that have the resistors built in. I do know that when I had LEDs with resistors in them the lights worked properly.
I have the same "issues" as you... mine dont work when pussed (only when using the selector switch) and stay on very dim after they "go out". for me its not an issue, during the day you dont notice that they very dimmed down and at night unless you look up at them I dont notice anything, the cargo lights also stay on very dim aswell, for me it looks cool. doesnt bother me that I cant push them on but im sure for some it deffinetly would.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The other night was watching the cargo LEDs go to dim then off. Noticed that they went off at the same time that the EVIC did. Kinda cool so decided not to mess with resistors.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
^^^^exactly. i have a 100ohm 1W resistor in my maps and they have been working great. you have to remember that all leds have a fraction of the energy pull than halogen anything. resistors is something you will hear for most led applications like led blinkers and stuff.
How'd you put those resistors in with the lights? I just happened to be driving past a radio shack today and figured $1.27 couldnt hurt for buying resistors lol

Problem is...I dont know how to put them in with the lights!

·
Registered
292 Posts
well, there are 2 ways. you can solder them onto the festoon ends themselves. OR, what i did was just solder them onto the light holder itself. i have a butane solder gun that makes this easy. just put solder on the leads of the resistor bend it around the holder and apply heat. i will get a pic of it tomorrow and post it if youd like.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i had this problem also. i got my replacemnts from recon accessories. the lights all work now. they seem to all be polarity sensitive as stated by Excoastie. i went and did one at a time. and they gave problems until all three leds were replaced and installed correctly. just saying what worked for me. might be the hemi ghost that haunts us all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts