DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My daily driving involves mountain roads with relatively low traffic and a high deer population. We all know the "amazing" performance of our headlights, even with improved bulbs. Thus I am considering an LED light bar. A couple of questions arise though.

First, I have two options. Either two smaller bars (around 15", single row) hidden behind the grill or one longer (under 28", double row) between the tow hooks.

I like the idea of them being stealth under the grill but I don't know where to attach them. I have been looking back there and haven't seen anywhere suitable. Has anybody done that successfully without weird vibrations?

Second, I have the stainless steel heavy duty bumper. If I were to recess a bar in between the big ass tow hooks, does a curved one make any difference or a straight one would do fine as well?

I'm looking into combo spot+flood bars and I really like to keep the stock look as much as possible, if that matters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd say go for the curved light bar in your valence. The curved generally directs more light to the side and with it being completely exposed which im assuming will provide better light than behind the grille. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Depends on how big. Have two on my headache rack. Big one is curved 7D smaller one for rear view lighting is straight.

The curved will give you more light on the sides. If you can get one where ever you wanting it in 7d get it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Bushmaster, I'm going to dig into that thread right now.

And yes guys, it seems that the curved would be the way to go.

My reasoning for looking into combo ones is that I want to see where the hell I'm going (hence the spot part) but also I need to see the damn deer waiting on the side of the narrow road, waiting to jump in front of my bumper. A couple of weeks ago a little fawn managed to cross in front and miss me by less than a foot. Smart little critter! :4-looney:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting thread, that link!

My bumper is the chrome one in the heavy duty trucks so there's only a small opening between both tow hooks. The biggest thing I can reasonably fit in there would be something like this. That is what I'm looking into.

I believe that somebody managed to squeeze a 28" in there but I'm not sure the brackets would fit without a lot of DIY work.

I haven't checked height-wise but it should be alright.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
This is my setup:

https://www.online-led-store.com/la...8w-cree-led-offroad-light-bar-orzledlbr152-sp

Website for the lightbar says out of stock, but when I ordered mine it said that - just call and double check.

Mine is wired to the upfitter switch panel.

Brackets for the 2500/3500 I had made (still have a few sets)

Side view:

Less than $165 for a 30 inch cree curved lightbar and brackets and still have use of the towhooks!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, tons of great setups in this thread!

I love what you did there toejam. It looks like my ideal but I'm not ready to cut into the tow hooks, no matter how small the notches be.

I guess I'll have to live with something slightly smaller that fits as is. At the beginning I loved the idea of hiding it under the grill (I have the horizontal chrome slats so a single row would shine through just fine). Trouble is now that I have seen the power of some of those 5D dual rows I don't think I'd be happy with a single one. Also, there doesn't seem to be any proper attachment points up there and a simple bracket for the lower opening seems much easier to fabricate.

All the 7D seem to be triple rows, LittleRiver and that would definitely not fit at all inside the bumper without some major chopping that I'm nor ready for.

Thank you all for all the great advice.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It looks like my ideal but I'm not ready to cut into the tow hooks, no matter how small the notches be.
No cutting involved using the lightbar I chose. The tow hooks come off, the brackets mount behind the towhooks using the same bolt holes, then the towhooks are put back on using slightly longer (grade 8) bolts. Wal-Lah! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my setup:

https://www.online-led-store.com/la...8w-cree-led-offroad-light-bar-orzledlbr152-sp

Website for the lightbar says out of stock, but when I ordered mine it said that - just call and double check.

Mine is wired to the upfitter switch panel.

Brackets for the 2500/3500 I had made (still have a few sets)

Side view:

Less than $165 for a 30 inch cree curved lightbar and brackets and still have use of the towhooks!!

Nice set up! Have a set of brackets you want to sell me? Also did you have to take the bumper off?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No cutting involved using the lightbar I chose. The tow hooks come off, the brackets mount behind the towhooks using the same bolt holes, then the towhooks are put back on using slightly longer (grade 8) bolts. Wal-Lah! :smiley_thumbs_up:
Damn, you're right, toejam!

I just re-measured and I have exactly 31" between the hooks with 3" height. I guess it's time to redo my searches to find a bigger bar.

I got to give it to you, the moment I saw the picture of the front of your truck I immediately thought that this is exactly how this trucks should come out of the factory. It looks 100% OEM. :smileup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. I really never noticed so much difference until I saw some of the close-ups linked in this thread. I made my decision and curved it is. Now I just need to find the proper one without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have yet to find a better fitting curved 30" bar than what I am using. No shaving/grinding of the towhooks! Just remove, put the brackets I have behind them, reinstall, and wire up the electric connections, done!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Dodge5500 is heading to the upfitters in about a month. I have purchased a Whelen 52" dual led light bar to be mounted to the top of the cab protector. It's 25amps and 25,000 lumen. I'll post pics after the truck is built.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I have yet to find a better fitting curved 30" bar than what I am using.
I agree! The look of your bar installed is stunning. I don't know how is it power-wise though. The one I'm looking at seems to be one of the most powerful I've been able to find. What bugs me is that, at 22", it's relatively short and it won't neither look as good nor be as easy to attach as a 30". Of course the next size up is a 32", just slightly too long to fit.

Ah, first world problems…! :i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just got a 20" straight Rough Country today.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I went with a Go Rhino Roof Rack on my Cap. It has 4 slots cut out for 2 inch Lights I added 4 Rigid Dually Spotter lights up top instead of a light bar. It turned out fantastic. Super Bright also.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts