DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Led light bulbs

1006 3
Do 5th gen ram trucks need canbus resistors for LED headlight bulb?, if so any recommendations as to what I can do, I am trying to go from hallogen bulbs to LED
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
2017 RAM 2500 Laramie PXR Black 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft
130 Posts
There are two typical 5th generation ram headlight assemblies on the market, one is a reflective headlight and the other is a projection headlight.

If the LED bulb needs to be replaced, and the pursuit is exactly similar, I think this will help you.

But as a sales manager for LED bulbs, my advice is: if you have enough money, you can choose to replace the headlight assembly and headlight bulb.

If it's just for better lighting than halogen, I'd recommend changing the bulb. After all, the price of replacing a headlight assembly is much higher than the price of replacing the bulb.

And the actual operation effect of the two is very small.

In theory, LED lights are compatible with reflector headlights. However, if a vehicle currently uses halogens, it’s not a simple switchover.

LEDs require additional electronics, heat dissipation devices,

a driver, and potentially a purpose-built reflector bowl.

Reflector headlights have two main components: a light source (bulb) and a reflector bowl within the headlight housing.

As the name suggests, the reflector bowl is a hollow hemisphere shape. The inside is painted with reflective chrome paint and covered in precisely located mirrors.

The bulb sits right in the center of this device.

When the bulb is switched on, beams of light hit the mirrors and are reflected in front of the vehicle and onto the road.

Because of this, reflectors produce a wide beam pattern that covers a large surface area. However, this means the light is less intense and less focused, so there is a more light waste.

On the other hand, a projector headlight contains three components: a light source, a reflector bowl, and a lens.

They also sometimes have a cut-off shield to prevent dazzling other road users. The bowl and the light source operate exactly the same as in reflector headlights.

However, before the light is projected out in front of the vehicle, it hits an ellipsoidal lens sometimes called a fisheye lens or fishbowl lens.

This is used to bend, spread, and magnify the light, directing it to the road surface instead of into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

In simple terms, the lens means that the light is more intense and more focused, so there is less light waste.

I think you should be able to understand what I mean. You and I both know that halogens are a dated technology. So are LEDs a suitable alternative?

To put it simply, yes. LEDs can be used in reflector headlights BUT (and it’s a big but) if you’re upgrading the bulb, you also need to upgrade the reflector bowl.

As I’ve mentioned, if you’re retrofitting LEDs into a reflector headlight, you also need to replace the reflector bowl.

You may find it easier to purchase an entire LED headlight. However, these may not be available for all vehicles, and even if they are, they’re likely to be expensive.

· Banned
2017 RAM 2500 Laramie PXR Black 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft
130 Posts
Do 5th gen ram trucks need canbus resistors for LED headlight bulb?
Different headlight bulbs show different sensitivity levels on different years of Ram. This needs to be concluded after the actual installation. Of course, you don't need to worry too much when you encounter this kind of problem, the after-sales staff will send the decoder for free.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.