DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have WAY too many choices for LED Tailgate light bar. Was wondering who makes the bestlooking, DEPENDABLE, and easy to install LED tailgate lights. Experience counts! Lay it on me Brothers!

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Big Hoss. What brand did you buy and can you plug into the 4/prong trailer connector or did you have to HARD wire it? Also, what do you need the resistors for?

·
Registered
626 Posts
In the video it's just plugged into the trailer hook ups in the bumper. When I get around to it I'll hard wire it in.
As you can tell from the video the lights flash fast. Resistors slow it down to the normal flasher speed. Plus it brings up a "burnt out bulb" message on the dash w/o resistors.
LEDs don't pull as much electricity as a traditional bulb, so the computer sees it as Burt out. The resistor tricks the computer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have WAY too many choices for LED Tailgate light bar. Was wondering who makes the bestlooking, DEPENDABLE, and easy to install LED tailgate lights. Experience counts! Lay it on me Brothers!
I have the Recon Fire & Ice Light Bar. It has both red & white LED's. The red function with your Park, Brake and Indicator Lights. The white function with the Reverse Lights. You don't need any resistors for a light bar. Their Plug a & Play.
I purchased a 4 pole trailer adapter and plugged into that. I then wired the reverse to the connector. Didn't cut into the truck wiring at all. Very happy with it. The resistors BigHOss is referring too is for the actual taillights. If you change your taillights to LED's you need to wire in resistors to prevent the hyper flash and burnt out bulb message in the EVIC.
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...+Pickup/2010/118384.html?vehicleid=2010300232

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0106.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0107.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0104.jpg

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey carnut2 sorry for the delay I've been out of town. The resistors can be installed where ever you want under the truck. They get hot so keep away from wires and stuff. Got mine from advance erosports. Not sure what the brand is?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, decided on the IPCW Light bar from Autoanything. Comes with a 4/prong plug, so I'll have to splice in the white reverse wire for the back up lights. Don't know how weather proof that will be so I may have to buy an adapter and go behind the bumper so I can tuck it away. Makes for a neater looking job too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I like the bar. especially the blinker. Has anyone seen one where the light races left or right??

Me...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yea I've seen it. To pricey for my taste.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like the bar. especially the blinker. Has anyone seen one where the light races left or right??

Me...
Recon makes one: Part # 26416X - 60" "Xtreme" Scanning Amber, White, & Red LED Tailgate Bar. Pricey though $149.95. I'm sure you could get a better price if you wanted to shop around.

gorecon.com

·
Registered
340 Posts
Now that's a sweet little light bar.

Me...

·
Registered
626 Posts
^^ wow what an idiot! Lmao

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION ! I just bought a IPCW light bar from autoanything and was wondering how I was going to mount it. (2) issues, the open port to access the spare tire well has a plastic insert that looks like it will pop out, but the bar will cover it. The other problem is on either end of the tailgate lip there is an overlap of metal at the corners that is welded and isn't flush with the rest of the lip giong across. The good news is that the light bar has (3 or 4) 3M adheadsive tabs that are set back from the bar surface that may clear the corners. Covering the spare tire access port is still a problem because mounting the bar higher or lower may obstruct its visibility. :4-dontknow::4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have seen that video typing in dodge ram while back.. I can't believe he is in a dodge ram doing that.. How embarrassing for all us lol.. While couldn't it be a Chevy or something

·
Registered
218 Posts
How are you guys dealing with the spare tire crank hole? I want to put a bar on my 2012, but can't see how to without either covering the hole or mounting the bar too low/high to be visible.
THAT'S A GREAT QUESTION ! I just bought a IPCW light bar from autoanything and was wondering how I was going to mount it. (2) issues, the open port to access the spare tire well has a plastic insert that looks like it will pop out, but the bar will cover it. The other problem is on either end of the tailgate lip there is an overlap of metal at the corners that is welded and isn't flush with the rest of the lip giong across. The good news is that the light bar has (3 or 4) 3M adheadsive tabs that are set back from the bar surface that may clear the corners. Covering the spare tire access port is still a problem because mounting the bar higher or lower may obstruct its visibility. :4-dontknow::4-dontknow::4-dontknow:
I have a Recon Tailgate Bar. I think there all pretty similar. I trimmed off about half the plastic trim piece around the spare tire access hole. The light bar is probably covering not quite half the hole. No problem getting the extension tube in to release the tire. The tailgate clears the light bar but just barely. I actually used the thicker CD jewel cases for spacers. Taped 6 of them to the top of the bumper and set the light bar on them. Worked for me.:smileup:
Just went out and checked the light bar. It's only about 1/3 of the hole covered. Took a couple of pics.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0143.jpg
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h443/dexter5042/IMG_0142.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts