DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealer this morning for the cruise control recall on my Ram. While waiting i went out a looked at the '19's. In a row of about 10 of them, I noticed the front tip of every left front fender sat higher than the hood/ brow by at least and 8th of an inch or more. The right side fit perfectly. How could 1,000's of these have been made and this issue was not fixed.
It's bad enough that by design there is the big gap between the brow and the hood that looks popped open, now this adds to that mess.
This issue was on both the chrome front and the body color models.
It had just stormed when I took the pic.

My salesman wasn't in today, but I asked someone else if they are selling many of these trucks. He said they sold a few but it didn't sound like they were in any kind of demand. I told him the front looked horrible to me, and that it was very GMC, Tundra like. He said they hear that a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hard to tell what your talking about based on that picture. Especially without a pic of the otherside to compare.
Agreed!

But in the spirit of the thread....Im not surprised there are panel inconsistencies. Its the first run of a brand new platform....Id expect it.

Now, mid-production of 2019 Id start to expect it to get better and by the end of the MY19 run Id expect it to be resolved.

FWIW, I looked at a 2016 Acura MDX and the panel gaps were terrible. And that generation had been in production for 3+ years at that point. AND the worst example I found was sitting in a showroom lol So, it happens to all of them, hopefully RAM wises up and fixes it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Lucky for me, I can't see that while I'm driving, so it's all good. Just joking---I think. Someone else mentioned the bumper was crooked, on another forum, when actually it's just the "lines" of the bumper curving in sharply at the corners/side and depending on angles, shadows, and color of your truck, it truly looks like its crooked.

I stared and stared to identify the bumper issue and can't see it because my truck is black and the shadows are black.......I'm not going to go out and stare down at the perfect angle to see if the fender and hood are perfectly aligned. I've washed it, kissed it, rubbed it enough in 1800 miles and if I haven't seen it by now ..........it's all good :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Agreed!

But in the spirit of the thread....Im not surprised there are panel inconsistencies. Its the first run of a brand new platform....Id expect it.

Now, mid-production of 2019 Id start to expect it to get better and by the end of the MY19 run Id expect it to be resolved.

FWIW, I looked at a 2016 Acura MDX and the panel gaps were terrible. And that generation had been in production for 3+ years at that point. AND the worst example I found was sitting in a showroom lol So, it happens to all of them, hopefully RAM wises up and fixes it.
LOL, they will never fix it. They never fixed the bumper/headlight gap in all the years for the 4th, why would they do that now?
I'm impressed how many people still believe the automakers really care. It sells, **** it, they'll buy anything. We are going back slowly to the 2008 era when all manufacturers made super shitty cars and Toyota raised to glory.
Just go read a bit the F150 forums with the 2018 issues and then you will change your mind. Next person that tells me that the Fords are awesome and reliable and Rams suck, I will punch them in the face repeatedly with an iron rod.
Let me know if you want to read that F150 thread and the issues they have. Impressive to say the least.
Cheers !

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
OP, looking at your picture the hood and quarter panel look aligned to me. The gap between the unibrow and hood is a design issue, not a fitment one. The 5th gens need a cosmetic upgrade tot he front end, I like the rest of the truck, but the front end doesn't look like a Ram and doesn't have a very consistent design language among the components

LOL, they will never fix it. They never fixed the bumper/headlight gap in all the years for the 4th, why would they do that now?
I'm impressed how many people still believe the automakers really care. It sells, **** it, they'll buy anything. We are going back slowly to the 2008 era when all manufacturers made super shitty cars and Toyota raised to glory.
Just go read a bit the F150 forums with the 2018 issues and then you will change your mind. Next person that tells me that the Fords are awesome and reliable and Rams suck, I will punch them in the face repeatedly with an iron rod.
Let me know if you want to read that F150 thread and the issues they have. Impressive to say the least.
Cheers !

What bumper and headlight gap?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP, looking at your picture the hood and quarter panel look aligned to me. The gap between the unibrow and hood is a design issue, not a fitment one. The 5th gens need a cosmetic upgrade tot he front end, I like the rest of the truck, but the front end doesn't look like a Ram and doesn't have a very consistent design language among the components

The poor fit was where the tip of the left front fender aligns with the hood. On all of the trucks the end of the fender was sitting higher than the hood. The right side was fine. I need to get some other pics to better show the issue. It had just rained when I took them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are a few more pics of the issue. I was at a Mall where a big volume dealer stores a few hundred car and trucks. I looked at about 20 '19 Rams and on most of them the left front fender didn't fit correctly. The right fenders on all of them matched the hood lines as it should on all the trucks. There is also a lot of flex in the tip of the fender. Push down on it and then the fender lines up with the hood. The panel gaps on the front of these trucks is horrible. I blame the brow for a lot of these gaps. Too many pieces coming together. On the previous gen, everything fit as it should.
The front of these trucks is a big mess. The cross hair was a very clean design where the grill inserts could be changed out for different looks. The front of the '19's look like they couldn't figure out what they wanted so they just made a bunch of odd shapes for each model. The only consistent thing across all of the models is the extremely ugly brow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Looks aligned to me. Panel gap is slightly different but not unexpected for a mass produced vehicle.

Maybe if the DS pic was taken at the slightly different angle the PS one is

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the fit difference is hard to pick out in the pics. Go to a lot a look at a bunch of these trucks. It isn't much ,but there is definitely something not right with the way the left fender fits. I didn't notice it until last week, and I had looked at a lot of these things on the lots before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Although my fenders line up correctly at the front of the hood, the back closest to the windshield are totally off! Passenger side the fender is about a quarter inch higher then the hood and driver side nice and flush with hood. I've attached photos so you can see it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
No offense to anyone involved, I believe you see an issue, but there are 3 sets of pics in this thread and every single one looks fine to me lol

Next time Im at my local dealer Ill take a closer look at the '19s.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,644 Posts
Forgot to attach photos ��
On a hot day let it rest outside and tap that down with a rubber mallet hitting a towel. Or leave it :box2:

Close up on those hood badges make them even more gaudy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have also noticed that the body panels are made a lot thinner then on my 2010 ram! They are very tinny sounding. Probably made thinner and lighter to improve on gas mileage.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Today I looked at one 2019 Bighorn in the dealers lot and did not see this problem. I could not look at others in the lot because my ride was waiting for me to get in the vehicle. I do not doubt what others are seeing, just that the vehicle I looked at did not show this problem to my eyes.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's difficult to see the flaws in pictures due to glare and angle of shots but they definitely do exist!

I can see the problem. There is no way this should be happening with these trucks. With all the CAD and other new methods, everything should line up correctly. The panel gaps on the front of these trucks are horrible.

There are too many pieces to the fronts of these trucks and they all have to line up. It starts with the mess of a grill and works back from there. I have had a '14 Ram and now a '16. Everything on the front of both trucks fit as it should.
It is hard for pictures to show a problem like this, but they are definitely there. I saw the left fender issue on at least 30 trucks. Another poster saw it on 6. After 1000's of these things have been built, why hasn't an inspector on the line noticed these issues?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I can see the problem. There is no way this should be happening with these trucks. With all the CAD and other new methods, everything should line up correctly. The panel gaps on the front of these trucks are horrible.

There are too many pieces to the fronts of these trucks and they all have to line up. It starts with the mess of a grill and works back from there. I have had a '14 Ram and now a '16. Everything on the front of both trucks fit as it should.
It is hard for pictures to show a problem like this, but they are definitely there. I saw the left fender issue on at least 30 trucks. Another poster saw it on 6. After 1000's of these things have been built, why hasn't an inspector on the line noticed these issues?
Go talk to all of the first buyers of the current gen Corvette about panels not lining up. And its even worse for them because the panels are molded, not sheet metal, so there is no "persuading" possible.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts