DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do deliveries, so I am in traffic all day.

I have observed a new driving norm. LEFT on RED. Better yet, yesterday I saw a vehicle second in line to turn left at a light, pull out and turn left on red ahead of the vehicle in front. As this 2nd in line was turning, the light changed and the first in line executed the turn but had to stop to let the wrongful vehicle go by.

What gives? Are drivers trying to force a new driving rule change by example? Sure it’s not lawful but whoever posts statics on drivers being ticketed for turning left on red?

I would imagine anyone turning left on red has a reason that makes sense to them only and will keep doing it.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts

I have observed a new driving norm. LEFT on RED. Better yet, yesterday I saw a vehicle second in line to turn left at a light, pull out and turn left on red ahead of the vehicle in front. As this 2nd in line was turning, the light changed and the first in line executed the turn but had to stop to let the wrongful vehicle go by.

What gives? Are drivers trying to force a new driving rule change by example? Sure it’s not lawful but whoever posts statics on drivers being ticketed for turning left on red?

I would imagine anyone turning left on red has a reason that makes sense to them only and will keep doing it.
I don't have an answer for you (there is no "logical" answer, lol). They are special and their time is more important then everyone else's time. I'm way past being shocked anymore on anything. They are putting something in our water and or food! That's all I can come up with anymore!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Maybe no one took the time to properly teach them how to drive, including the "rules and laws" of the road. Parents, no driver's ed. class in school, I don't know. I do know that you have to keep your head on a swivel trying to watch everyone else when you try to drive anywhere any more. Always expect the unexpected. Aside from all that, I do know of one left on red intersection in my hometown of Brooksville, Fl. (yeah I know, Florida) It's clearly marked with a sign beside the traffic light. Here's a pic of another one, location unknown.
Sky Light Infrastructure Traffic light Line

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
992 Posts
I've always wondered why large cities (like here in Vegas) hasn't implemented a certified position under driving enforcement. I feel like it will happen eventually but it would open up more jobs as well as help keep roads safer. It just wouldn't be a post 1 position. Of course...might make taxes go up lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE="PowerJrod, post: 2317075, member: 190149"]
Cameras can't do anything except provide evidence after the fact. Driving enforcement would be to directly notify the DMV and maybe LE too.
[/QUOTE]
What I recollect from years ago to the quoted point.

I got into the camera recording me driving and doing something wrong…. IMO what a bizarre setup that only lasted for a month or so because it was so sketchy and the camera got removed. But the operation was somehow approved by the city. I looked this up on public records to verify.

Yes it was a non law enforcement, camera, run by a contract outfit. The letter I later got was very clear on that point. But it went on to explain the camera company would make a complaint to law enforcement including the video as evidence. They did, and I got a bona fide ticket in the mail weeks later from the city.

A lawyer one might suggest. That lawyer cost was more than the ticket. I checked.
I heard that a major sticking point was who was actually driving the vehicle. I also read MN stopped allowing use of cameras for driving complaints there for that very reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Was the driver turning left turning on to a two way or a one way street? In some states turning left on to a one way, after a complete stop is very much legal. You just don’t see it often because most drivers aren’t aware of it. Also like any turn, you should turn into the first available lane and then signal to go further over if desired. Most drivers don’t do that either.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just remember a double right on red is legal... 🤣
You know where you make a right on red and immediate U-Turn and another Right on Red cause the lights changed again.

Saw a shmuck pull this years ago........

·
Registered
2009 Ram 1500 SLT
41 Posts
Maybe 6 years of a certain political party normalizing anti social and illegal behavior, and now, attempting to benefit from an attitude that looks the other way at every turn🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
V6 Etorque, 2in level lift, Ranch Hand, Front and rear receiver hitch
2 Posts

In most left turn stoplight control situations, since my teens (now 50 years), if I am first in line with my indicator blinking, I roll into the intersection ready to turn left. I keep my wheels in the straight position to prevent a rear end contact that might push me into oncoming traffic. I wait for a safe opening of for oncoming traffic to pulse to a stop, then turn and clear the intersection. I have never received any type of warning or citation for this style. Efficient and effective and safe in big city traffic.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
992 Posts
Just remember a double right on red is legal... 🤣
You know where you make a right on red and immediate U-Turn and another Right on Red cause the lights changed again.

Saw a shmuck pull this years ago........
I've done it...still do sometimes. But I'm also in Vegas where every red light lasts for 5 minutes (no exaggeration) lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts