DODGE RAM FORUM banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also check out the Cooper RTX as opposed the the SST's, not as aggressive tread pattern. Couldn't be happier with mine, huge difference from the stock Wranglers

·
Super Moderator
34,309 Posts
Living in a place that gets plenty of snow, I'd look for something with the severe weather rating. Also, if it were my decision, especially since I'd be towing, I would look for something with a little better road manners, which leaves the BFG A/T KO2 from your choices. I would not tow my camper with a mud tire, I'm just not comfortable with the on road traction while pulling a couple tons behind me and my family. With that being said, I don't know your specific circumstances, so don't take offense.
The KO2 is an all terrain, not a mud tire. KM2s are a mud tire. KO2s have better road manners than Goodyear Wrangler SR-As or Wrangler HPs with much better wet traction-and they have the little snowflake on them thought I don't live somewhere it snows.

I think you would also appreciate the higher load range for towing, since KO2s are the only load range D in the stock 275/60/20 size, and tend to have a substantially higher weight rating for a given size tire. I do not off road a whole lot, but even if I had a 2wd I would consider them just for the higher load range

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The KO2 is an all terrain, not a mud tire. KM2s are a mud tire. KO2s have better road manners than Goodyear Wrangler SR-As or Wrangler HPs with much better wet traction-and they have the little snowflake on them thought I don't live somewhere it snows.

I think you would also appreciate the higher load range for towing, since KO2s are the only load range D in the stock 275/60/20 size, and tend to have a substantially higher weight rating for a given size tire. I do not off road a whole lot, but even if I had a 2wd I would consider them just for the higher load range

I know the KO2 is an A/T, that's why it was the only one left from his list of choices that I would tow with. Perhaps my verbiage was wonky.

·
Super Moderator
34,309 Posts
I know the KO2 is an A/T, that's why it was the only one left from his list of choices that I would tow with. Perhaps my verbiage was wonky.
:doh:Ok I re-read your post, I misunderstood what you were saying. You said it leaves them from his choices as in they are the one left that is suitable. I thought your were saying that leaves them out.

Reading comprehension fail on my part:LOL:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Okay so after looking and checking everything out I decided to go with Cooper ST MAX in 275/65/20. Look good and ride great, now to get the camper out of storage. Will post some pics later.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It always feels like a victory when you weed through the endless tire choices and pick your new set. Look forward to pics.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 1500 is rated at for 10,150 with the 3.92 rear end. The trailer is actually 7709# dry and we mostly go to campgrounds so rarely do we pull with water or waste. The GVWR for the trailer is 9685#. I specifically picked this camper because the UVW was lower than the competitors and gave me some cushion.
So your tongue weight is probably1,000lbs or more. I am guessing you have a payload between 1,200-1,500lbs. I am taking a wild guess that you are definitely over your payload!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
So your tongue weight is probably1,000lbs or more. I am guessing you have a payload between 1,200-1,500lbs. I am taking a wild guess that you are definitely over your payload!

If he's towing at max capacity of the trailer, his payload should be 969-1162 at 10-12%, but most aren't towing near capacity.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
That's similar to mine- I have a dry weight of 6500# and max load full with waste and fresh water of 9650#. that would be 105 gallons ~850-900# (poop weights more than 8#/gal). leaves a max of ~8700# with empty tanks. We also do not have heavy stuff in the camper, and the weight of the load we have is ~1200# which makes it 7700# travel ready. I have a tongue weight of ~900-1000#, leaves me 450# for everything in the truck- except me- means- wife, 2 dogs and some stuff I don't want in the camper, like charcoal grill, scooter, carpets, tote, etc... the truck does not drive or feel overloaded. handles the weight very well- I have a 1200# equal-I-zer hitch and the set up is so good, that I don't even have sway at 70mph, which I just drove to test it. I don't even feel bad about it.
We do no long distance travel anyway- furthest would be the beach and that is 400 miles away through flat land. or up in the mountains, where I experienced absolutely no issues. not even at start up on a deep incline.
From what I've seen so far- the problems start, when people think, either they can pull a 10000# real weight trailer with a 1500 or are in a hurry to get to the camp ground and flying with 75 mph down the interstate- seen it and seen it sway on a lot of them. I just stay away.
If you have a camper- speed limits above 60-65mph should be ignored and not tried to be reached. nobody calls you a pussy, if you go 60 in a 70mph speed limit. At least I don't.
And the other issue is, what I've seen- people are not aware that the wdh having different sizes. they hook up a 7000# trailer with 800# tongue weight on the cheap 600# wdh from e-bay, because they did not do their homework. Yes- I had a guy beside me, bragging, that he just paid $350 for his brand new curt- I looked- it was a 600# hitch with max tow of 6000# and he had a 7000# 800# dry weight trailer on it. and he never heard about sway bars. he just thought, the additional holes are for smaller balls to pull utility trailers with- yes- no joke. That's where I'm concerned- but not about a truck like the RAM and hooking a 8000# camper to it with the proper equipment.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Purchased a new travel trailer yesterday. It is 5130 lbs dry weight with a 530 lb tongue weight. I previously leveled my Ram, so now I will be adding some airbag assists to the rear to take care of the squat, they will be strictly for leveling. I expect about a 2" drop when the trailer is on and my WD hitch will eliminate some of that but the remaining will be removed by the bags and add a little more stability when towing. I will post some picks when I pick it up from the dealer.

I'm looking forward to getting to some different areas now, my old trailer was 19 years old and rotting out, so it stayed at my seasonal site.

·
Registered
16 Posts
had a 2010 Silverado that i used to pull a 35' travel trailer. weight is around 6200 dry it said. Silverado had cruddy gears so i was not excited to try and pull this trailer over some steep hills and stuff (truck was rated for 6800lbs towing)

Bought a 2015 Ram CC Laramie 5.7 with a 3.92 and 8 speed, i cant believe how im itching to really pull this camper somewhere fun now. Im thinking it will do just fine, have a WDH and the silverado would squat about 2 inches (had a leveling kit on the front) But im also looking into the airlift 1000s to see how they could help me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a new Cherokee Grey Wolf 27DBS last week. Its 32' and weighs around 6300 Dry. I traded my 2014 2500 in last year, and now have this 2016 1500. I was a little worried about the tongue weight being 710 lbs. I did get the Weight distrib. hitch, and when hooked up, it wasn't bad. I have the Bilstein adjustables in the front at 2.8", with Bilstein rear shocks and 1" spacers in the rear. I just purchased the Air Lift 1000's and im going to install this weekend. Anyone have these installed with the 1" Daystar rear spacers? Just curious to see how they work out. I know the rear springs are going to need some help once I have the camper loaded, truck bed loaded, kids, dogs, etc.

·
Super Moderator
34,309 Posts
had a 2010 Silverado that i used to pull a 35' travel trailer. weight is around 6200 dry it said. Silverado had cruddy gears so i was not excited to try and pull this trailer over some steep hills and stuff (truck was rated for 6800lbs towing)

Bought a 2015 Ram CC Laramie 5.7 with a 3.92 and 8 speed, i cant believe how im itching to really pull this camper somewhere fun now. Im thinking it will do just fine, have a WDH and the silverado would squat about 2 inches (had a leveling kit on the front) But im also looking into the airlift 1000s to see how they could help me.
A buddy of mine was so disappointed with the 3.08 gears in his 5.3 Chevy that he took it back to the dealer the week after he bought it saying he didn't want it. The 1st gen Titans were available with 2.94s.:Wow1::doh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought a new Cherokee Grey Wolf 27DBS last week. Its 32' and weighs around 6300 Dry. I traded my 2014 2500 in last year, and now have this 2016 1500. I was a little worried about the tongue weight being 710 lbs. I did get the Weight distrib. hitch, and when hooked up, it wasn't bad. I have the Bilstein adjustables in the front at 2.8", with Bilstein rear shocks and 1" spacers in the rear. I just purchased the Air Lift 1000's and im going to install this weekend. Anyone have these installed with the 1" Daystar rear spacers? Just curious to see how they work out. I know the rear springs are going to need some help once I have the camper loaded, truck bed loaded, kids, dogs, etc.

Forgot to mention, COULDN"T BELIEVE how well this truck pulled the camper with Fresh water tank 1/3 full. The 8spd with 3.92's is an awesome combo. I think it actually pulls better than my '14 2500 6.4L with 3.73's. Just doesn't have the brakes and rear springs that the 3/4 ton had.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A buddy of mine was so disappointed with the 3.08 gears in his 5.3 Chevy that he took it back to the dealer the week after he bought it saying he didn't want it. The 1st gen Titans were available with 2.94s.:Wow1::doh:

I had a first Gen Titan. 2004 model, I don't know what rear end it had in it. Pulled pretty well, never had issues, until the rear end went out at 96K. It was a design flaw with the rear ends. Nissan changed the design half way through the first year. 2004.5 and newer had aluminum heat dissipating pumpkin cover on them. Mine had a flat steel one, not a good design.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My 14 Z71, 5.3L with 3.73 towed 7500lbs like it was nothing. Although I had multiple problems with the integraded brake controller, as did my father inlaw in his 09 and brother inlaw in his 12. I stayed away from the OEM controller for the Ram because I never had issues with any aftermarket brake controller. I'm a week away from getting my new TT and the first pull will only be about 8 miles to my seasonal site. That pull will be at highway speed, so at that time I can decide whether or not I want to install the air ride 1000's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 14 Z71, 5.3L with 3.73 towed 7500lbs like it was nothing. Although I had multiple problems with the integraded brake controller, as did my father inlaw in his 09 and brother inlaw in his 12. I stayed away from the OEM controller for the Ram because I never had issues with any aftermarket brake controller. I'm a week away from getting my new TT and the first pull will only be about 8 miles to my seasonal site. That pull will be at highway speed, so at that time I can decide whether or not I want to install the air ride 1000's.

My factory brake controller worked great for the hour and a half drive from the dealer to the storage. I had an aftermarket when I had my '04 Titan, I never had any issues with it either. It's nice having it integrated into the dash and the instrument cluster screen with these new trucks. Tracks the mileage on the trailer and everything.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The integrated on my Z71 screwed up within a month, every 10 seconds I got a chime and evic message to service trailer brakes. The issue was I didn't even have a trailer hooked up, it was fine with the trailer attached but after a module change it was about a year and it started again. The other GM's in the family had the same issues. We all ended up putting in aftermarket controllers just to ease our minds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The integrated on my Z71 screwed up within a month, every 10 seconds I got a chime and evic message to service trailer brakes. The issue was I didn't even have a trailer hooked up, it was fine with the trailer attached but after a module change it was about a year and it started again. The other GM's in the family had the same issues. We all ended up putting in aftermarket controllers just to ease our minds.

My brother in law and father in law both had H2 Hummers when they came out. Both of them ended up having a bunch of electrical problems. Dashboard not lighting up, A/C not coming on, etc. Would have to stop, pop the hood, disconnect the battery, re-connect, and it was magically fixed... for about 3 days and it would do it again. They both traded them in after about a year of messing with the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had 3.08 in mine. Tranny would heat up something fierce. It towed the camper fine for the most part, this Hemi and 3.92 just eases my mind now. I can relax finally.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts