DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
The first one is very very obvious and I have no idea how that happened... but the second one I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd have a short one way conversation with the dealer about the repaint. Then I'd leave with a new truck.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
How did they do that on the 1st one? In the second picture are the 1 or 5 crooked? And the last 2 pictures look like the door is a different color?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked the truck up and didn't notice anything until I sat in the passanger seat and noticed that control was upside down. I had a paintball tournament the next day and then saw the discoloured door and warped RAM 1500 emblem. After bringing it to the dealerships attention they did some research with Dodge. The story they gave me was that the door was damaged at the factory. The door was completely disassembled, re painted and reassembled. I believe that, because there is no evidence of overspray on the door. It was very good paint job other than the fact the used the wrong colour. The door control was the installed, upside down. The emblem was put on by hand, they did the "1" perfect but it was down hill from there...

Anyways, after a conversation with Chrysler Canada they are repainting tomorrow and I explained that I am not interested in accepting anything less than perfect. I am not a painter or have any experience in body shops or painting vehicles but I have a feeling this is not as easy as matching a black or white vehicle

Does anyone have experience in this? Do you think its possible to match this?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but you won`t be happy with a repainted door. You don`t know how much damage was done to the door. You will always know that the door was damaged and repainted at least twice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with RamDandy. Who knows how much bondo is in there since they couldn't even blend into adjacent panels so it matched, which is what any paint shop would have done, so I'm not buying the "happened at the factory" story. As far as I know, when there is minor damage that can be corrected by paintless dent repair, they will do that, otherwise the panel is replaced. I'm thinking it was damaged in shipping and the shipping company handed it off to whomever would fix it cheap. After all, the factory, better than anyone else, would know how to put it back together correctly.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Comical. What exactly are CJD dealerships duties except for making money? I mean FFS why dont they just scrap CJD dealerships and allow customers to purchase vehicles directly from Chrysler.
These dealerships, some of them are a waste of space. Approx 2 weeks after purchasing my Ram, I received via email a survey from a third party organization that conducts these surveys for the dealership. I gave them the following below review, received about 3 phone calls from their phone number and voicemails, did I bother even listening to them? Nope.

2015 Ram 1500

Your Purchase Details:

2015-07-16

North Tampa Chrysler Jeep Dodge
10909 N Florida Ave.
Tampa, FL 33612
(813) 935-4812

Hi Frederick,

Your review of North Tampa Chrysler Jeep Dodge has been validated and is ready to be published.

If you would like to make any changes or updates before your review is published please click the Update Review button.

Update Review

Bought a new truck from them. All panels on it contain debris and contamination under the paint. Didnt think I was buying a used car from craiglist.

or Publish Without Updating

·
Registered
217 Posts
I agree with RamDandy. Who knows how much bondo is in there since they couldn't even blend into adjacent panels so it matched, which is what any paint shop would have done, so I'm not buying the "happened at the factory" story. As far as I know, when there is minor damage that can be corrected by paintless dent repair, they will do that, otherwise the panel is replaced. I'm thinking it was damaged in shipping and the shipping company handed it off to whomever would fix it cheap. After all, the factory, better than anyone else, would know how to put it back together correctly.
This explanation sounds more likely. Having had some experience in transportation, I find it hard to accept that the repairs shown were made at the factory. While every assembly plant I've ever been in had a "hospital area" for fixing defects, they would not have done this sort of work. Nor would these repairs have made it out the door.

Either the dealership wasn't told the correct story, or they're lying to you about what happened.

Michigan law requires:

"(2) Except as provided in this subsection, a new motor vehicle dealer shall disclose in writing to a purchaser or lessee of a new motor vehicle, demonstrator, executive or manufacturer's vehicle, or program vehicle before entering into a sales contract or lease agreement that, after the vehicle completed the manufacturing process, the vehicle was damaged and repaired, including an itemization of repairs, if the dealer has knowledge of the damage and repairs and if the cost of the cumulative repairs, as calculated at the rate of the dealer's authorized warranty rate for labor and parts exceeds either 1 of the following:

(a) Five percent of the manufacturer's suggested retail price of the vehicle.

(b) Seven hundred fifty dollars in surface coating repairs or corrosion protection restoration or a combination of these items. If a new motor vehicle dealer fails to comply with this subsection, the purchaser or lessee shall retain all applicable remedies available under article 2 of the uniform commercial code, 1962 PA 174, MCL 440.2101 to 440.2725.

(3) A dealer in new motor vehicles is not required to disclose to a purchaser or lessee under this act that any glass, tires, wheels, bumpers, audio equipment, in-dash components, or components contained in the living quarters of a motor home that are not required for the operation of the motor home as a motor vehicle were damaged at any time if the damaged item has been replaced with original manufacturer's parts and material.

(4) Repaired damage to a motor vehicle, subject to this section, not exceeding the cost of cumulative repairs as determined pursuant to subsection (2) shall not constitute grounds for revocation of acceptance by the purchaser or lessee. The right of revocation ceases upon the purchaser's or lessee's acceptance of delivery of the vehicle."

Ontario and/or Canada may have something similar.

·
Registered
815 Posts
So Have you been back to the dealership? :4-dontknow:
I just dont understand why people sign in to the forumz just to complain about their purchase and brand bash, this site is supposed to be helpful and a way to communicate between fellow enthusiasts, not to complain.:doh:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Comical. What exactly are CJD dealerships duties except for making money? I mean FFS why dont they just scrap CJD dealerships and allow customers to purchase vehicles directly from Chrysler.
In many states, the dealers are protected by state law (dealers make campaign contributions to state legislators, therefore...) The manufacturers cannot sell directly to the final buyer.

Look at the problems that Tesla is having in trying to go the direct sale route.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm betting it happened at the dealership or maybe shipping. You would think they could at least match brand new factory paint at the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You need to review an earlier post of mine, I actually had the pleasure of purchasing a truck that had been damaged in-transit, fixed (poorly, I might add) and then sold to me without any disclosure. A water leak was the reason that it all came to light.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think us "complainers" need to start pooling together and perhaps buying a paint thickness guage meter. Thats what Im gonna take with me when I go buy a new truck ( if I do ) from CJD, thats after they loan me the vehicle for the weekend so that I may inspect every panel after a clay and detail to check for defects BEFORE signing the contract to purchase. I guess I'll be a while LOL.

OP, your truck doesnt have any defects, its called character HAHAHA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blackgoat, Yes I did go back to the dealership ASAP and they are taking care of the all the problems. I didn't come on here to complain and piss and moan about the truck. I just looking for some real world experiances from other RAM owners. I am dropping the truck off tonight and its going to get repainted this week.

Fingers crossed that the paint will match this time

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I hope they make it right, you no doubt payed over $50,000, not sure if you ordered it or bought it off the lot. If it happened at Warren ass`y plant, they should have a record how bad the door was damaged, or whether it was just cosmetic that it needed repainted.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Blackgoat, Yes I did go back to the dealership ASAP and they are taking care of the all the problems. I didn't come on here to complain and piss and moan about the truck. I just looking for some real world experiances from other RAM owners. I am dropping the truck off tonight and its going to get repainted this week.

Fingers crossed that the paint will match this time
Great I as well as others would like to hear of the results. Pardon my wording but There are alot of people surfing these forums to help them make a decision on a new purchase just like myself, After I
Did my research I knew what I wanted so I dropped the money and bought my truck. Then I went to the internet to see what other people was saying on how to customize and make it my own. Then I found on just about every other post someone bashing the truck for whatever reason and most were just signing up to post the negative. And im here to tell you I was truly worried about my purchase. I just spent $59, 600 on my dream truck and I almost ruined it for myself checking this and checking that making sure this was done and the updates and etc.
I am a member on the corvette Forum as well and we never talk as bad as the Ram forumz do.
Just kind of strange how most post about the problems and never about how much they love the Vehicle.. thanks for understanding I truly hope you get your truck fixed correct ..

·
Registered
726 Posts
So Have you been back to the dealership? :4-dontknow:
I just dont understand why people sign in to the forumz just to complain about their purchase and brand bash, this site is supposed to be helpful and a way to communicate between fellow enthusiasts, not to complain.:doh:
Too scared to:i_rolleyes:

Joking aside, I am contemplating whether it will be worth my while to put forward my "case" or not. Besides, its been raining here almost everyday since I bought my truck, so pointless in taking it there when wet.

You see, should I decide to go back to a main dealer ( and it wont be the originating one ) I will be taking with me a folder detailing my issues in writing. However, I must think about my own mental wellbeing.Lets put it this way, I dont want this to start consuming me as I value my mental health ( little left of it ) more than a vehicle that may or may not get trashed tomorrow in a crash for example.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Too scared to:i_rolleyes:

Joking aside, I am contemplating whether it will be worth my while to put forward my "case" or not. Besides, its been raining here almost everyday since I bought my truck, so pointless in taking it there when wet.

You see, should I decide to go back to a main dealer ( and it wont be the originating one ) I will be taking with me a folder detailing my issues in writing. However, I must think about my own mental wellbeing.Lets put it this way, I dont want this to start consuming me as I value my mental health ( little left of it ) more than a vehicle that may or may not get trashed tomorrow in a crash for example.
Yup.. after looking at your photos, I personally would put some sort of black caulking or similar substance on it to fill the crack and call it good.. It is a truck bed afterall.. Also "IF" Ram decides to fix the issue, it'd probably involve replacing the bed, which means you'll be without your vehicle for however long and hope that they can install the new bed and match the paint correctly.. Seems like a lot of hassle and worrying over something that nobody will probably ever notice.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts