DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently heard that pulling a larger camper is better off stability wise then pulling a smaller. So what size csmper do you have and what are you pulling it with. We are going from a 19ft expandable to a 31ft being towed by a 14 ram 1500 qc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a 15ft (4000# loaded) single axle hybrid TT and now have a 28ft TT (6300# loaded).
I am using the same Eaz Lift 1000/10000 WDH.
I don't notice much difference towing, backing or gas mileage. It is still a big box behind me.
Biggest difference is negotiating tight turns/spaces, especially gas stations.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
it’s really less about the length of the trailer and more about where the axles are on the trailer. longer trailers, generally speaking, are more stable because the axles are further back and spaced. they displace the load and tend to keep the trailer inline with the truck.

now, longer trailers can also handle worse, if the weight is not properly distributed. porpoising can occur, sway can occur, and bad things can happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many variables determine stability, some already mentioned. In the case of your 31 foot trailer ensure you have a proper weight distribution hitch. But, also make sure your trailer hitch weight (loaded) plus pax/gear in truck do not exceed the truck's max payload and axle (less likely) weight. In the 31 foot range, depending on your model, it gets close or may exceed for a 1500 platform.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have been messing around thinking of a Toy Hauler. My 2500 has a 10500 roughly tow limit. So far as I can tell a 5er is out of the question. But a 30' or so tag is with in the weight loaded with the bike. I really dont want to be at the max either. Its the 5.7 so I know its gonna be working hard. From past experience correct weight placement (tongue weight) is very important. I have not pulled anything with a weight dist hitch. But I have seen some scary looking rigs on the highway without them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my tow capacity is 8000# payload is 1850# tufftruck springs....dry weight of camper 5500# hitch weight 600# wdh hitch... camping supples wife and myself 700# equally loaded. And we pull dru never with fluids in the camper... with those numbers i feel like im good.. but i may be wrong

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well my tow capacity is 8000# payload is 1850# tufftruck springs....dry weight of camper 5500# hitch weight 600# wdh hitch... camping supples wife and myself 700# equally loaded. And we pull dru never with fluids in the camper... with those numbers i feel like im good.. but i may be wrong
i would agree, based on those numbers—you should be fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have towed a 27 ft Flagstaff trailer with a 2014 Ram 1500, a 37 ft Cougar 32 RLI trailer with a 2018 Ram 2500, and now a 37 ft Montana 5th wheel with a 2017 Ram 3500. Each towed well as I was very careful on hitch selection. The 5th wheel is by far the best, so far. The 37 ft was wiggly with the dealer installed hitch until I went to a trailer expert where the set it up properly. Dealers seem to think close is OK on hitch measurements. Wrong, period. The difference is amazing. "Bubba" the guy who has installed hundreds of hitches at the dealer, any dealer, isn't the cure for stability problems. Read the hitch instructions and check the measurements.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It really depends on the setup. I've been pulling a 32', #7500 gross Bullet bumper hitch. I use an equal-i-zer and it works very well. its 4 months old and the floor rotted out. Manufacturer is replacing with a new unit, but they no longer make the exact floor plan. so the new unit is a foot and a half longer and about #60 heavier on the tongue. not real happy about the added lengths, but the other option was to have them repair the floor and walls. not my first choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pu
So i recently heard that pulling a larger camper is better off stability wise then pulling a smaller. So what size csmper do you have and what are you pulling it with. We are going from a 19ft expandable to a 31ft being towed by a 14 ram 1500 qc.
Pulling a 38’ 5th wheel with ram 2500 crew cab, Cummins, 4x4.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I pull a 40 foot 5th wheel with my 2017 2500 4x4 mega cab Limited with the Cummins and it does great. Love the exhaust break.

·
Registered
12 Posts
it’s really less about the length of the trailer and more about where the axles are on the trailer. longer trailers, generally speaking, are more stable because the axles are further back and spaced. they displace the load and tend to keep the trailer inline with the truck.

now, longer trailers can also handle worse, if the weight is not properly distributed. porpoising can occur, sway can occur, and bad things can happen.
I have to agree with you. I had a flat bed trailer loaded with 4x8x8 shipping containers, I had to stop and rearrange them for weight placement. Dual axle with 60-70% between axles and hitch seem to do the best. I'd rather have a heavier weight on the hitch so that the weight is on the drive axle for driving in wet or icy weather, or even if there is wind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My parents Owned and ran an RV business for 35 years and I grew up in Wyoming where most people tow large campers as well as many other things behind their trucks. You will get your stability from 2 primary things, one being the axle displacement (% Tongue weight) and ensuring that the trailer is a tandem axle. On most new trailers they have what is called a wide ride so the axle is wider and the spacing between each axle is greater hence it creates a more straighter path for the trailer to toe on and mitigates the potential for trailer sway. The other point were a lot of people mess up and I've seen a lot of wrecks growing up regardless of what they towed with, be that a light or heavy duty pickup, is when they tow without a weight distribution system as that balances a load and it has accessories to minimize sway caused by wind ext.
I wouldn't reccomend pushing the towing capacity of your truck to the max, power is often not the problem, that parameter also includes a coefficient for stability as well. Let's be real, that's wy 1500's are cons9a light duty truck. If your gonna tow a big trailer/load often and far, you need to use a HD truck, properly equipped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I pull a 30 ft Heartland Sundance XLT 287RL with our RAM 1500. It is a fifth wheel, curt 16k hitch in the bed, installed by me, Air Lift 5000's replaced the Jounce bumpers installed by me. Only 10 lbs of air in the bags, the truck is absolutely level, pulls great, drives great, no sway don't even know a big rig is passing :) The Sundance is 6300 Lbs unloaded and GVWR is 11000+. So the CCC is huge, we of course never approach that, we are careful of what we load in the fiver, only carry about 20 gal of water when traveling, and black and gray tanks empty. Only other thing is an 84 lb generator, Inverter by westinghouse.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
You wrote you tow with a 1500 but there is a maroon 2500 with a Cummins in the picture. That is quite a difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You wrote you tow with a 1500 but there is a maroon 2500 with a Cummins in the picture. That is quite a difference.
I have a fifth wheel that is a little over 18,000 when fully loaded. When I first purchased the RV I towed it with a 2017 RAM 3500 single real wheel with the cummins 6.7L diesel. On the first trip out we encountered some strong winds that were hitting the RV from the side. I learned very quickly that the single rear wheel 3500 was not providing the stability that I felt comfortable with. I traded for the same truck (6.7L cummins, 2018) but in a dually and have been happy ever since. We have towed all across the west and encountered some serious winds in Utah and west Texas. The dually proved to be the best choice for me by providing improved stability and handling and the 6.7L cummins gives the feeling that the RV is not even there.

·
It's Showtime!
477 Posts
That's my 2500, not sure how that ended up in his post.

Edit: My pic was showing because it was considered an attachment being it was a thumbnail linked to the original pic. Should not show up now. Apparently if you open a linked attachment in a thread it shows all of the linked attachments.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts