DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 5100s put on yesterday and I'm sitting level. The tires barely passed inspection (original factory tires with 50k+ miles) and I will have to put new ones on this year some time. Here's the issue: I don't know what size to get. I currently have the stock 20" rims but was thinking of going down to a 17" or 18" to save on gas and tire prices. I definitely want to go with a bigger overall tire (35" will fit I think). Please post photos of your tire setups with leveling kits and what size rims/tires you're running.

The factory rims have a bit of curb rash and are a little boring, so I was looking at a possible upgrade anyway. As far as tires I don't want anything severely off-road looking as most of my driving is highway, but I want a bit of an aggressive look.

I really like the Hankook Dynapro ATMs.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I got a million questions about your Bilsteins, lol. Did you install them or have someone do it? If you had it done do you mind telling me what it cost you? Did you notice any difference (positive or negative) in the ride and steering? And finally, what setting did you go with? Also, I'm gonna go ahead and say it before someone else does....we need pics!!!!

As for your tires, I think you can fit 35" but you are limited on your width to around 11.5 inches or so without spacers. 285s should fit with no problem. 295 or wider may not. I'm actually trying to figure out if a 295/60/20 will clear width-wise or not right now. The Cooper Zeon LTZ and the Nitto Terra Grappler are two of my favorite AT tires. Both of them have been popular for a while and proven to be great tires.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a local guy put them in for me. Cost me $180 in labor. I got the struts from AutoAnything for around $200 for the set to my door.

I haven't driven it around a whole lot but they feel better than the stock struts and I haven't noticed any shake or shimmy, but I haven't put it in 4wd yet.

I measured my stock rake and the front was 2.5" lower. I had them set at the max and it's level now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can't wait for the tax refund check to come in so I can order my 5100s and my new wheels and tires. I plan on running a 35'' as well so definitely keep us posted. I know I'm looking forward to reading more.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm extremely interested to know if you have any vibes in 4x4. Please let us know when you get an opportunity to test it. The install fee include an alignment or was that separate?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm extremely interested to know if you have any vibes in 4x4. Please let us know when you get an opportunity to test it. The install fee include an alignment or was that separate?
The alignment will be separate. I wanted to let things settle for a few weeks before doing it. I'll try and get it into 4x4 this weekend and see how she does, as well as get a few pics.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yeah, I don't blame you for waiting a little while for the alignment. Looking forward to an update on the 4x4 and the pics!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had it in 4x4 on pavement last night for about a mile. Speed ranged from 20-50 and no shimmy noticed. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Lol, I like the disclaimer. Thanks a bunch for the info. Have you decided about your tires and rims yet? Leaning towards keeping the 20" or downsizing? Maybe we can get you some pics on here.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't just stand out or anything but taller tires would look a lot better. The stance looks nice. I was thinking about installing the Bilsteins with my stock sized tires but that is making me rethink it. I have nearly new Cooper Zeons. They are a blockier tire and look taller than the stock Goodyears even though they are the same size but I'm still afraid they might look too short with a level and I can't really afford new bigger tires at the moment.

Could you possibly get a straight-on side shot of your truck?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here's the side shot. I'm seriously considering getting new 18" wheels and going with a 35" tire. The price difference between the 18 and 20" is pretty significant plus then I can sell the stock 20s and get some cash back.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
lookin good bud and i would prolly go 33s so the wheel well dont look stuffed

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's on there now is a 33" and it looks small to me.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Thanks for supporting us!! The truck looks good. Always a tough question when it comes to tires/rims, so many things to consider (ride, MPG, $$, etc.) but in the end, go with what you want and you will be happy.

I think the 33's look fine, but I am sure the 35's would look killer too! Are you going more for look or functionality?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I think the 33s would look better if they weren't slick as a dog's @$$, lol. A little tread would help. If you decide to stick with the 20s there are some good options for a middle of the road 34" tire. 275/65 is a 34" tire and will run with no issues. 295/60 is a wider 34" tire but my conclusion on the research I have been doing is that spacers are likely needed for a 295 or wider.

Thanks for the side shot!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm down to choosing between the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Cooper Zeon LTZs. Not sure on which size and price seems to be pretty similar.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You won't go wrong with either of those. You are right, price is very comparable and they also both have been around and used widely and got great reviews. They even look a lot alike even though I personally think the Coopers have a slightly more aggressive look to them....may be my imagination but the tread blocks seem a tad bigger. Good luck!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Coopers were installed today! Got them in 275/65R20 so they are about 1" taller than the stocks and they look great. It was dark by the time they were done so no pics, but I'll try and get some up in the next few days.

The ride home was good. He inflated them to 65 psi so it was a little harder than the factory ride but I could tell there was more grip, especially while accelerating.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts