DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been on the forum for a while I have never posted just kinda sat back and read absorbing all the info I could. But I have a couple of questions.

I have a 2011 1500 Sport Crew Cab it originally came with the Goodyear Wranglers on it (which are death traps in the snow) with that said I am looking to put some AT's on it and a leveling kit.

My first question is what is the best leveling kit? Rugged Country, Reddi Lift?

As far as the tires I really want the General Grabber AT2's but they are on national backorder of course (my luck). I have been looking at the Cooper Discoverer AT3's and the MasterCraft Courser MSR's any input on these tires and or recommendations for a good AT in New York snow and ice would be helpful I run a lot of highway and tread life/quiet ride is important.

Also should I stick with stock 275/60/20 or bump up to 305/50/20's??

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The quality of the leveling kit all depends on what you want to spend. You can get a cheap one for $50 on ebay or spend $100s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I would say im looking for a middle of the road one. Not looking to cheap out but also not looking to break the bank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the HBS level kitand I like it, just my .02. If you want to spend a little more, you can put Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dodge put my leveling kit on and they reccomended and ordered a Rough Country. I just put on Mickey Thompson ATZ's today in 35 12.50 20's. I used 1.5" aluminum backspacers. They ran me $200 also. Looks great and didn't KILL the budget.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodge put my leveling kit on and they reccomended and ordered a Rough Country. I just put on Mickey Thompson ATZ's today in 35 12.50 20's. I used 1.5" aluminum backspacers. They ran me $200 also. Looks great and didn't KILL the budget.
Cranky, Do you have any pics you can share? Im sure if i threw 35's on my truck it would probably kill my gas mileage LOL

·
Registered
355 Posts
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111518

Above is the link to my build thread, I have a ReadyLift level installed. I left out the rear portion because my front bumper causes the nose to dive a tad and I didn't want the factory rake back in it. Rolling on the equivalent of 35x11.50r18 nitro Terra's, which are an E rating and the deepest tread depth they offer (longest life). Truck rides much better than stock, and install wasn't too difficult, plus I have the option of installing the rear spacers if I need to in the future.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Cranky, Do you have any pics you can share? Im sure if i threw 35's on my truck it would probably kill my gas mileage LOL
It really depends on your gearing, tires, and driving style. I do a lot of city driving with a heavy right foot and pull out 15 with 35x11.50 terra grapplers. Long trips with the MDS net about 16 while the MDS turned off gets about 18 cruising at about 77 mph. I also have a heavy and non-aerodynamic front end replacement, high stall torque converter, and 3.92 rear end...which do not exactly help the milage

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=111518

Above is the link to my build thread, I have a ReadyLift level installed. I left out the rear portion because my front bumper causes the nose to dive a tad and I didn't want the factory rake back in it. Rolling on the equivalent of 35x11.50r18 nitro Terra's, which are an E rating and the deepest tread depth they offer (longest life). Truck rides much better than stock, and install wasn't too difficult, plus I have the option of installing the rear spacers if I need to in the future.
Thats def a sick build!! Would love to see the look of fear from the person in front of you as you roll up on them with that Front pusher bumper!!!

It really depends on your gearing, tires, and driving style. I do a lot of city driving with a heavy right foot and pull out 15 with 35x11.50 terra grapplers. Long trips with the MDS net about 16 while the MDS turned off gets about 18 cruising at about 77 mph. I also have a heavy and non-aerodynamic front end replacement, high stall torque converter, and 3.92 rear end...which do not exactly help the milage
I have the stock gearing (but do have the tow package) Im getting like 16-17 on the highway mostly all my driving is highway so not to sure about city driving.
MDS?? Please fill me in, sorry may be a dumb question.

·
Registered
355 Posts
MDS is the multi displacement system, when the engine shuts down four cylinders to "save fuel". Do you know if you have a limited slip differential? You likely have a 3.92 rear end with the tow package, so taller (not wider) tires will actually help fuel economy by reducing the gear ratio (run at a lower rpm compared to the same speed).

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i wouldnt go with a 305 50 its a fair pit smaller than stock.....id get a 275 or 285 65 20 in a bfg ta ko...great all around and last forever

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'll get some up soon. I also will have the computer changed today to match the tire size and then I will check the milage. It may drop by 1mpg from what I already see but that is town driving. I'll update later. And BTW......

The looks are much greater than the 1mpg!:smileup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
My first question is what is the best leveling kit? Rugged Country, Reddi Lift?
They all achieve the same, just two different ways of getting there. 1 style uses a spacer, RC, Reddi, HB, etc. The others use new shocks/coilovers, Bilstien and Rancho (maybe more choices since I did my '11).

There are spacers are cheaper and prob work just fine, the new coilovers offer better front suspension when done, but cost much more and also take more time/money to install.

I chose to go with bilstiens due to the dreaded nose dive I was getting with the OEM shocks, every time I was braking, as well as the improved overall ride.

recommendations for a good AT in New York snow and ice would be helpful I run a lot of highway and tread life/quiet ride is important.
Are you doing off-roading? Do you tow a very heavy rig a lot? I went with the cooper zeon's, but Ill be getting rid of them for a more highway/mpg friendly tire. I love the look, I love the XL rating vs P or LT, I just find it a nice in between. Don't get so hung up on looks that you buy too heavy of a tire with big chunky threads, that will suck in the snow and ice as well as mpg's.

305's are wide and look great, they are not great for snow/ice. Sure, someone will be along shortly to say how they have 305's and they are wonderful in bad weather, but physics don't lie. Tire for tire, 275's are better mpg, quieter, cheaper and better for snow/ice. A few people have fit 305's on stock wheels. Most, like me, found that 305's rubbed the UCA.

If I still lived in Upstate NY, I would setup the truck exactly ow I have it now, but put the front at 2.1 or go with the 2.8 setting and add a spacer.

If I was to do it over (living here in texas), I would stick with the same leveling kit, but put at 2.1 instead of 2.8", so I wouldnt need a rear spacer to look better. I would also stick with the 275's, but would go with a tire like Michelin A/T2.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My first question is what is the best leveling kit?
I have the HBS kit (in my sig). It was about $80, solid construction and zero issues on my truck since I have put it on 15k+ mi ago.

I'd go bigger, gives the truck the look it's supposed to have IMO. 285/65s are more than 1" taller than 305/55s. The 305 costs about $20ea more than the 285s also so you have to decide if that 20mm of width is worth it. Just something to think about when you're comparing.

This truck has a leveling kit, 285/65/20 BFG AT KOs and no backspacers.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i wouldnt go with a 305 50 its a fair pit smaller than stock.....id get a 275 or 285 65 20 in a bfg ta ko...great all around and last forever
Thank You and I do agree looks like I am going to go for the 285's

I'll get some up soon. I also will have the computer changed today to match the tire size and then I will check the milage. It may drop by 1mpg from what I already see but that is town driving. I'll update later. And BTW......

The looks are much greater than the 1mpg!:smileup:
Tis the truth!!

They all achieve the same, just two different ways of getting there. 1 style uses a spacer, RC, Reddi, HB, etc. The others use new shocks/coilovers, Bilstien and Rancho (maybe more choices since I did my '11).

There are spacers are cheaper and prob work just fine, the new coilovers offer better front suspension when done, but cost much more and also take more time/money to install.

I chose to go with bilstiens due to the dreaded nose dive I was getting with the OEM shocks, every time I was braking, as well as the improved overall ride.

Are you doing off-roading? Do you tow a very heavy rig a lot? I went with the cooper zeon's, but Ill be getting rid of them for a more highway/mpg friendly tire. I love the look, I love the XL rating vs P or LT, I just find it a nice in between. Don't get so hung up on looks that you buy too heavy of a tire with big chunky threads, that will suck in the snow and ice as well as mpg's.

305's are wide and look great, they are not great for snow/ice. Sure, someone will be along shortly to say how they have 305's and they are wonderful in bad weather, but physics don't lie. Tire for tire, 275's are better mpg, quieter, cheaper and better for snow/ice. A few people have fit 305's on stock wheels. Most, like me, found that 305's rubbed the UCA.

If I still lived in Upstate NY, I would setup the truck exactly ow I have it now, but put the front at 2.1 or go with the 2.8 setting and add a spacer.

If I was to do it over (living here in texas), I would stick with the same leveling kit, but put at 2.1 instead of 2.8", so I wouldnt need a rear spacer to look better. I would also stick with the 275's, but would go with a tire like Michelin A/T2.
No crazy off roaring fields during hunting season etc. Don't really tow much either just a motorcycle trailer every once in a while

Truck looks sick!!!

I have the HBS kit (in my sig). It was about $80, solid construction and zero issues on my truck since I have put it on 15k+ mi ago.

I'd go bigger, gives the truck the look it's supposed to have IMO. 285/65s are more than 1" taller than 305/55s. The 305 costs about $20ea more than the 285s also so you have to decide if that 20mm of width is worth it. Just something to think about when you're comparing.

This truck has a leveling kit, 285/65/20 BFG AT KOs and no backspacers.

Thank You for the info and I do agree looks like 285's it is!! How much more weight will the 285's put on the front end?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts