DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to go about matching the front to the rear, im guessing leveling kit, if so which ones are the best for my truck, or if theres any other suggestions please let me know.

Also once I do level the front to the rear, whats the biggest tire size I can put without rubbing at all???

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
So far, from what I have read, it seems the majority here lean towards the Bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks. Set at max, which is 2.8", 35's would be the largest that you could run. 35's will fit in the rear without any lift what so ever. Then to go with a 35x12.5x20 or 35x12.5x17, you would need to run 1/4" spacers. Just look through the rest of the suspension forum.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, from what I have read, it seems the majority here lean towards the Bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks. Set at max, which is 2.8", 35's would be the largest that you could run. 35's will fit in the rear without any lift what so ever. Then to go with a 35x12.5x20 or 35x12.5x17, you would need to run 1/4" spacers. Just look through the rest of the suspension forum.
So what your saying is that I have to change the front shocks, they don't make a leveling kit??

·
Registered
180 Posts
I went with the HellBent Steel 2" leveling kit. Still has a little rake which is exactly what I wanted. Quality product. But watch your tire size...295 or a 35"tire will rub the UCA without spacers...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with the HellBent Steel 2" leveling kit. Still has a little rake which is exactly what I wanted. Quality product. But watch your tire size...295 or a 35"tire will rub the UCA without spacers...
What do you mean by it still has a little rake?

·
Registered
180 Posts
What do you mean by it still has a little rake?
Front is slightly lower than the rear now. Thats why I went with the 2" instead of the 2.5" kit. Wanted to keep a slight rake.

The "rake" is referred to when the front of a vehicle is lower than the rear. Stock Rams you can definately see the rake until you level it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front is slightly lower than the rear now. Thats why I went with the 2" instead of the 2.5" kit. Wanted to keep a slight rake.

The "rake" is referred to when the front of a vehicle is lower than the rear. Stock Rams you can definately see the rake until you level it.
oh alrite so if I wanted it to be completely level I would have to go with the 2.5"?, also what do you think about the quality of the ones you bought? Pro's and con's?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I do a leveling kit, do I have to change the shocks or anything else on the truck or is just installing the two spacers good enough, and will it put any strain on anything??

·
Registered
74 Posts
ReadyLift makes a nice 2.5" levelling kit for '09-'12. I have one on my 2011 Ram 1500 CC 4X4. Easy install, no noticeable change in ride quality. Seems like nice gear. I have experienced no "death wobble" in the 8 months I've had it installed.

http://www.readylift.com/c-246-dodge-ram-1500-2011-up-4wd-only-25.aspx

I also just replaced the stock 265/70/17 (31") Wrangler SR-A's and installed 285/70/17 (33") Treadwright Warden "E-Rated" (these are a retread clone of BFG AT/KO's) and they fit great with no rubbing at all, and hardly any difference in gas mileage; there's a slight low-frequency hum between 45-65 mph - you can hardly hear it if the fan or radio are even at moderate levels. Best part was they were less than half the cost of BFG AT/KO's at $136 each.

https://treadwright.com/p-97-285-70r17-warden-a-t-e.aspx

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ReadyLift makes a nice 2.5" levelling kit for '09-'12. I have one on my 2011 Ram 1500 CC 4X4. Easy install, no noticeable change in ride quality. Seems like nice gear. I have experienced no "death wobble" in the 8 months I've had it installed.

http://www.readylift.com/c-246-dodge-ram-1500-2011-up-4wd-only-25.aspx

I also just replaced the stock 265/70/17 (31") Wrangler SR-A's and installed 285/70/17 (33") Treadwright Warden "E-Rated" (these are a retread clone of BFG AT/KO's) and they fit great with no rubbing at all, and hardly any difference in gas mileage; there's a slight low-frequency hum between 45-65 mph - you can hardly hear it if the fan or radio are even at moderate levels. Best part was they were less than half the cost of BFG AT/KO's at $136 each.

https://treadwright.com/p-97-285-70r17-warden-a-t-e.aspx

Do you have any pics of your truck with this set up?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2012 Ram with a 2.5 in leveling kit(suspension), and a 1.25 body lift from Rough Country. I paid less than $250 for it shipped. It is a GREAT price and Great quality. I can now fit 35x12.50's no problem. If you call them they will give you a discount for being a member on here or if you are military which was my case. Here is a pic(took this one to show a buddy the bull bar), I will post a better one tomorrow for you. Here is the link http://www.roughcountry.com/suspension/4wd-dodge/1500-ram_combo.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice rig!

Sorry it took me so long to get my pics up, been sick. Anyway, here's my rig:

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I do a leveling kit, do I have to change the shocks or anything else on the truck or is just installing the two spacers good enough, and will it put any strain on anything??
From what I've heard if you go spacers that would be all you need, however, spacers make the strut taller, and push components like balljoint and CV joints down lower, creating more angle, it can wear them out fast, its worth to spend the extra cash on some adjustable coilovers (Bilstein 5100) from what Ive heard they don't cause much issue, just with CV joints and its nowhere's near as bad as putting in a spacer kit. I just bought a set of 5100's for my truck because it needed shocks anyway, but I would never put in spacers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put a 2.5" leveling kit on my truck and I still have a slight rake. I was surprised that I would still have a rake on it and I do not have the notorious "death wobble". Anything higher than 2.5" and I believe you will have the wobble.

·
Registered
308 Posts
the issue im running into is, can these be put on the 2wd rams?

·
Registered
37 Posts
What are everyones thoughts on lowering the rear and installing bags? I am nervous about messing with the front suspension.. I use the truck for tree work and dont want to lose any carrying weight with lowering the rear and making it "sag" more with wood in the bed and hauling a trailer.. mine only has 400 miles on it and dont want to screw with the front alignment..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts