DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just upgraded my truck from a 2014 1500 Express Quad Cab to a 2016 1500 Crew Cab SLT Lonestar, both 2 wheel drive. Downgraded the engine, thought - went from 5.7 HEMI to 3.6 Pentastar.

Don't do much offroading except for at our Ranch in the Texas Hill Country.

To level out my truck will require a 2.5 in lift in the front.

At first, I simply called around to different places to get some install pricing and that went without a hitch. Then I spoke with someone at a shop that said installing the 2.5 leveling kit is a bad idea because it will wear out my ball joins because of the angles.

So with this new information, I have talked to the folks at CST, 4 Wheel Parts, and a few other reputable folks here in the Houston area about installing a 2.5 in leveling kit and to get some objective feedback, and all of a sudden the answer was the same.

That is...

A 1.5 in leveling kit is the max lift that can be installed on a RAM truck safely. If I had a HEMI, I could simply replace the coil to give it the 2.5 in lift safely, but that my Pentastar engine is too light. The only other option (to be safe) is to do a Spindle lift, which will raise the front 4 inches and add an additional 1.5 in to the rear.

Unfortunately, a Spindle lift is a little more than twice that of a 2.5 in leveling kit.

So I wanted to post on here, get some other feedback. I'm not looking to be told what I want to hear, but rather, the truth.

Is 1.5 in leveling kit really my only safe option for a simple leveling of my truck?

Are these guys just trying to sell me higher packages to make more money? Or is there legitimacy to what they're saying?

Because I'm quite ignorant of all of this, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just used the Daystar 1.5"
lift spacer, lifted mine level, and put 285/65/20's on it last night.

Love it, the spacers were about $60, install was $150

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would call the dealership you bought it from and ask what they would sell you to level out your truck. In the end, to get it installed/warrantied from a dealership you may have been better off ($$) going with the spindle lift.

Interested to hear what the dealership would install on your truck though.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thanks, I literally put rims and tires on last night. Lift was done yesterday morning, so taking it in tomorrow for alignment. I need to update avatar :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would call the dealership you bought it from and ask what they would sell you to level out your truck. In the end, to get it installed/warrantied from a dealership you may have been better off ($$) going with the spindle lift.

Interested to hear what the dealership would install on your truck though.

Good luck
Thank you, good sir. I hadn't thought of this. Great advice!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Good deal, I've seen/experienced where they'll do this on 4x4 but not 4x2. Don't know why they wouldn't!

Good luck, let us know...
Well, it turns out (from what I was told) that aftermarket parts will void out factory warranties. They said the only parts/accessories they can guarantee would be Mopar parts.

They offered to level my truck for $1600 (and that's with a discount) :4-looney:

I told them if I was going to do that, I might as well get the Spindle lift for $1400 (at different place).

Very disheartening indeed because I don't want to do anything monstrous to my truck - I just want to lift the freaking from 2.5 inches.

I appreciate your suggestion though, good sir! I will most likely call a few other dealerships and see what they say as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Traxda makes a kit for a 2" front and 1" rear, the ball joints should be fine.
Thanks for that recommendation. I put in a phone call to their support. Hopefully I'll get a call back.

I'm curious as to what makes Traxda's leveling kit any different that the ball joints will be okay, though.

Is it just the fact that the lift isn't over 2 inches in the front and that the angles are okay as long as you don't go over that? Or does it have something to do with their product, specifically, that protects the ball joints?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts