DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member here.

I've decided to purchase Bilstein B8 5100's to level out my 1500 4X4, and I don't know if I can get away with only purchasing the new shocks for the front end of my truck, or if it is necessary to buy a rear set as well.

All input is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
You don't need to replace the rear shocks to level the truck. The 5100's are typically set to 2.1", which will still give a bit of rake, but looks pretty level.
With that said, your rear shocks may be due for replacement from age/wear, so you may want to just replace them while you're already in the garage getting dirty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that makes sense. As of now my truck only has 61k miles on it, so I assume that the stock shocks have a lot of life left in them. Do you have experience with the original shocks going bad? And if so after how many miles?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Shocks go bad at different times or mileage depending on useage or defect. You can get under your truck and just check to see if the rear shocks are leaking oil. If they aren't you should be good for awhile

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,416 Posts
Everyone has a different OEM rake, mine was about 3.25" front to rear at the center wheel well.

My FIL's express had only 2.5" from the factory, so when he Bilstein leveled at 2.1 the truck actually appeared "Bulldog" or front high because of the truck's side profile. He ended up using 3/4" spacers in the rear to get some rake back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shocks go bad at different times or mileage depending on useage or defect. You can get under your truck and just check to see if the rear shocks are leaking oil. If they aren't you should be good for awhile
At this point they don't lead so that's a good sign so far! I just use the truck to farm so no wild driving, just frequent towing of light loads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone has a different OEM rake, mine was about 3.25" front to rear at the center wheel well.

My FIL's express had only 2.5" from the factory, so when he Bilstein leveled at 2.1 the truck actually appeared "Bulldog" or front high because of the truck's side profile. He ended up using 3/4" spacers in the rear to get some rake back.
My truck has a full 3 1/2" rake. Figured I would be able to get away with the 2.8" setting on the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
My rear shocks were toast before I swapped them at 29K. No oil dripping. They just would not rebound. They are crap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just had mine put on a week ago and I was almost 3 inches lower in the front so I set them at 2.8. mine I think is dead level. I did not add anything to the rear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just did my bilstein level and the front shocks would take literally like 30 seconds or more to rebound after they were off the truck. I feel like that is pretty much wore out in my book. They only had 31,000 miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts