DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do to a botched back surgery, I'm have to sell my 07 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD. I just can't take the rough ride any longer. I already bought a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn. Loving the ride but not the front downward rake.

In doing research, it seems the Bilstein front strut shocks with the adjustable ride height was the way to go. I ordered them tonight. Did I screw up or not? Anyone with personal experience with these?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You'll be happy with your choice. I've had them on 3 or 4 trucks now and they've been great. Not a job to tackle yourself if you have a bad back. You will need an alignment after it's done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll be happy with your choice. I've had them on 3 or 4 trucks now and they've been great. Not a job to tackle yourself if you have a bad back. You will need an alignment after it's done.
I have a 10k lift and a strut spring tool. Plus I'll get my neighbor to help me. I ain't giving in to this back pain.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yes, Bilsteins are a very good shock. I have to ask because of your screen name, do you have a Barracuda?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was under the impression that with any leveling kit, whether you had spacers or shocks, you had to replace the the upper control arms because of the ball joints?

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,652 Posts
Bilstein leveling shocks do not utilize the full oem extension length which can throw the cheap factory ball joints out. You lose some travel but for most mall crawler trucks that's not a problem.

When you're mudding or climbing over larger objects you may not have a tire planted like OEM due to less IFS extension. Again, know your intended usage. Also have seen the price drop around $100 a shock, finally stealing some Rancho full coilover customers.

·
8,090 Posts
I was under the impression that with any leveling kit, whether you had spacers or shocks, you had to replace the the upper control arms because of the ball joints?
Not necessarily; it partially depends on what you intend to use the truck for.

The reason for needing new UCA's when leveling with spacers is that spacers allow the front suspension to over-extend past OEM specs. It's in the over-extension that the ball joints pop. Bilstein 5100's keep the suspension travel within OEM specs to reduce the chance of ball joints popping out.

Check out the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature for more information and detail between the two.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not necessarily; it partially depends on what you intend to use the truck for.
Primarily used for on-road use, but there are many instances where I take it off road but not for extreme off roading. Mostly gravel, sand, dirt, generally flat but have some steep driveways to climb.

The reason for needing new UCA's when leveling with spacers is that spacers allow the front suspension to over-extend past OEM specs. It's in the over-extension that the ball joints pop. Bilstein 5100's keep the suspension travel within OEM specs to reduce the chance of ball joints popping out.
curious, if the bilstein 5100 levels the front, would I be correct in assuming that the bilstein is longer? if so, how does it remain within factory specs?

thanks

·
8,090 Posts
Primarily used for on-road use, but there are many instances where I take it off road but not for extreme off roading. Mostly gravel, sand, dirt, generally flat but have some steep driveways to climb.

curious, if the bilstein 5100 levels the front, would I be correct in assuming that the bilstein is longer? if so, how does it remain within factory specs?

thanks
You'll likely be fine with OEM UCA's. If you ever did have an issue you could look into upgrading at that time.

The shock itself isn't longer. The lift is achieved by preloading the spring. It works in the same principle as a coilover but without the infinite adjustability of a coilover. There are 5 preset rings that you can choose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, Bilsteins are a very good shock. I have to ask because of your screen name, do you have a Barracuda?

Yes I do own a 68 Barracuda 416 stroker engine.

But the screen name was from the days when I drag raced a 67 Super Gas Barracuda.

Thanks for all the feedback on the Bilsteins. I will post a picture when I get done.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yes I do own a 68 Barracuda 416 stroker engine.

But the screen name was from the days when I drag raced a 67 Super Gas Barracuda.

Thanks for all the feedback on the Bilsteins. I will post a picture when I get done.

:Wow1::Wow1: Nice!

·
8,090 Posts
If going with the Bilsteins to level the front (I assume a 2" or 2.5" lift?) does the ride quality suffer and any mpg loss?
The ride will change slightly as you're increasing the angle of the control arms and adding preload to the springs. Unless you're very picky I doubt it will bother you at all.

Fuel economy loss should be negligible unless you add larger, heavier tires with the level as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts