DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

A few questions. I was thinking of getting a leveling kit for my 2012 Ram. Thoughts though that when towing our trailer that the front end will sit higher and poss the front end will 'dance' a bit on the road if you know what I mean and might be hard to control with the weight on the back.
Now thinking if I do the leveling to the truck, should I install some airbags in the back springs to compensate for the higher front end when towing?

Thoughts?:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
487 Posts
What kind of trailer? What size of truck? Goose neck stock trailer? 5th wheel? Travel trailer? If a travel trailer a weight distribution hitch properly set up will level things out. If a 5th wheel air bags will help lift the back end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of trailer? What size of truck? Goose neck stock trailer? 5th wheel? Travel trailer? If a travel trailer a weight distribution hitch properly set up will level things out. If a 5th wheel air bags will help lift the back end.
It's a travel trailer. Ram 1500 4x4 w/Hemi. She levels out pretty good with the hitch alone. However more concerned after I put the leveling kit on, will the front end feel loose while on the highway.

·
Registered
698 Posts
How heavy is your trailer when it's loaded and ready for towing? Those of us who have installed airbags can give you some better info if we know how heavy your tow load will be. I'm very pleased with the Air Lift bags on my 1/2 ton Ram pulling a travel trailer that's a little over 5000 pounds. The airbags are such an inexpensive item of insurance for towing on trucks with coil springs like ours. I don't even need/use a weight distributing hitch, but your tongue weight and total towed weight may require it.

Edit: Plus, have you looked further down in the Generation 4 section under "Towing"? Lots of good, specific info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How heavy is your trailer when it's loaded and ready for towing? Those of us who have installed airbags can give you some better info if we know how heavy your tow load will be. I'm very pleased with the Air Lift bags on my 1/2 ton Ram pulling a travel trailer that's a little over 5000 pounds. The airbags are such an inexpensive item of insurance for towing on trucks with coil springs like ours. I don't even need/use a weight distributing hitch, but your tongue weight and total towed weight may require it.

Edit: Plus, have you looked further down in the Generation 4 section under "Towing"? Lots of good, specific info.
The trailer is around 6500lbs all loaded up. What differences do you notice with the airbags and were they easy to install?

·
Registered
487 Posts
A properly setup weight distribution hitch is all you should need. A weight distribution hitch will take the load off the rear axle and distribute some of that weight to the trucks front axle and to the trailer axle(s). When set up properly your truck and trailer should be sitting level with no additional aids needed. It's the distribution of the trucks weight, cargo, and trailer weight across ALL axles that gives you your stability. Air bags will lift the rear of the truck but won't for all intents and purposes change the weight on each of the axles.

With a travel trailer your rear axle becomes a fulcrum and simply changing the height of the ball mount (which is what you are doing with air bags) doesn't change the weight the rear axle has to carry and keeps your front axle light. Your tongue weight should be 9 to 15% of your trailer weight which in your case is considerable. Air bags used with a 5th wheel in tow is a whole other matter. Depending what kind of hitch you use a sway bar may also be needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts