DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new truck! :smileup:

So last weekend I was out for a leisurely drive, taking my boy to grandmas house. Light snow falling, cold as hell... when I come through a small town who decided it would be too much to maybe put down some sand or salt, or better yet, plow! Anyhoo, there was a fella stopped to make a left and there was no way in hell my rig was stopping on this downhill ice rink...

So I made the split second decision not to kill this poor guy waiting to turn into the post office, and cause what would've probably been a 5 car mess...so I pulled right into the firehouse parking lot, thinking I'd be able to ride it out... not so much... it was a full on ice rink!

The truck slid right through the lot and the snowbank at the end, and found the only immovable object there was in that bit of scrub and skinny trees....

After catching this stump with the left front, wheel turned into the slide, the truck spun hard to the left and came to rest on some skinny saplings, likely preventing a 20' rollover down the culvert. Of note, my NFAB steps took the brunt of the hit and kept that tree from doing any damage to the side of the truck, and only suffered a small dent themselves!

Fortunately ( :4-dontknow: ) for us, we crashed in the volunteer fire house parking lot... whatever that's worth... but there were no (human) injuries other than some bruises and whiplash. The truck on the other hand, didn't fare so well. the whole left front suspension was ripped completely out, and the obvious body damage... frame bent and pushed back slightly.

There are so many bad perspectives to this accident that it pains me to think about them... I just installed my new exhaust the week before, plasti-dipped my bumpers the month before and installed the light bar, just got rid of an annoying year long rattle... just filled it with a full tank 15 minutes prior and had two hot cups of coffee in the cupholder, that I ended up wearing in the crash... the good news is that it could have been much worse and that nobody was hurt... :smiley_thumbs_up:

The guy who was behind me stopped to say that it was pretty amazing to see me choose the tree over the stopped car, and the driver of the stopped car came over to thank me for not killing him.

So after waiting a few days for the insurance to do the estimate, they called to tell me they didn't total it. They cut me the check for the repairs, including all of my aftermarket goodies... had it towed to the local Dodge/RAM dealer and their body shop took it in and started the tear down right away. They said it would be a couple of weeks. I told them it would be theirs to keep / sell in a couple of hours. Went up to the showroom and started working a deal on a 2012. Finalized the deal yesterday and pick her up tomorrow.

So, all in all I guess life's not that bad!

Now let the mods begin (again)! :doh:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dang man, glad everyone was ok and nice to see you got your money back for what you put into the upgrades. Takes some quick thinkin to react as you did. Nice new ride there too, enjoy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Glad no one was hurt, sucks big time about your truck, but tons of respect for making that choice. The new truck will have your touch on it in no time I'm sure!

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,363 Posts
Ouch is right, just glad everyone was ok! Beautiful new truck, too, congrats on that, nice to hear it worked out for you in the end!

- Cajun

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
glad to hear everyone is alright, looks like you had a nice truck there prior to this, looks like you have a nice new truck now though

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
You guys do things different in NY! Here, we normally trade in our vehicles to the sales department, not the body shop. ;)

Although it's sad to see/hear of things like this, the fact that everyone is OK is the only thing that truly matters. They make new trucks every day, and I'm sure your going to have a blast with modding the new one.

For coming through this whole thing with a positive attitude.....Kudos! :smileup:

For sacrificing a great looking Ram to ensure the well being of others (that you probably didn't even know).....:rep:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Brad! It wasn't a hard decision to make... metal on metal is never a good thing, and I will do everything to avoid it. I truly thought I was going to ride it out fine when I opted for the parking lot as an out.... makes me second guess running the wide tires in winter again.

Lesson learned. At least I have a reset button option! :smileup:

You guys do things different in NY! Here, we normally trade in our vehicles to the sales department, not the body shop. ;)

Although it's sad to see/hear of things like this, the fact that everyone is OK is the only thing that truly matters. They make new trucks every day, and I'm sure your going to have a blast with modding the new one.

For coming through this whole thing with a positive attitude.....Kudos! :smileup:

For sacrificing a great looking Ram to ensure the well being of others (that you probably didn't even know).....:rep:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good job on the split second decision man! Hate having to make those, I 've had to a couple times, I've never faired that bad though fortunately...!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the silver lining

Looks like your new truck is an Express. If so,I think you'll like it. I've had mine for six weeks, and my kids refer to it as "Daddy's girlfriend." :gy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts