DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiyall

I have a very dumb question - Everybody knows that suspension lift kits are superior to body lift kits as they provide better REAL clearance - here's the dumb question - WHY? Both types increase the angle of approach between bumper and tire and whichever type you use the axle and difs remain the same height above ground level - what am I missing?

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Body Lift

• Can provide clearance for larger tires while keeping center of gravity low and "factory handling" (almost)
  • Can improve engine cooling & room for engine modification by providing more under-hood space and more heat exhaust tunnel
  • Cheap

Suspension Lift

• Often improves overall wheel travel, which allows you to keep tires on the ground on extreme terrain, providing safer driving conditions and greater mobility
  • Lifts the chassis so breakover angle is improved and you become less likely to get "high centered" or held up by packed snow (that an axle alone would just crush through)
  • IF done correctly can provide improved ride characteristics on uneven terrain at all speeds
  • Since frame "horns" (the parts that stick out and hold the bumper on, etc) are part of the frame not the body, lifting the frame does improve approach and departure angles.

Raising ground clearance isn't only about increasing the height of the single lowest hanging part; rather it's about raising the parts that actually become hangups or problems. A body lift can pick rocker panels and bumpers up a little but don't lift transmissions. Sometimes the best solution is both a body and a suspension lift, it comes down to what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spam

Well I aint planning on rock crawling, main reason or wanting the height is to make room for 35x13.5 tires plus keeping my feet dry for stream/creek crossing (again, nothing extreme that would need a snorkel, so sounds like I can get away with the cheaper option.

Tx again

·
Super Moderator
34,648 Posts
SPAMpala pretty much covered it, I would add though that a body lift can cause overheating issues since the radiator is designed to fit behind the grille which allows air through. A bumper does not.

It won't necessarily happen, but it has happened to people

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both

Think I'm gonna go for a mix, 3" suspension lift kits seem to run at a quarter of the cost of 6" so I'll go 3" suspension with 3" body lift on top which gives me the full 6" rise plus 'some' advantages of the suspension lift at less than half the cost of the 6" suspension kit - sound about right?

·
Super Moderator
34,648 Posts
I don't like body lifts at all, but I think 6" makes these trucks look overlifted. You can fit 35s with a level and IMHO that's as big of tire as has any business on a half ton truck with IFS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts