DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for starters I have a 2010 ram 1500 trx4. I want a decent lift, but nothing outrageous since this is my daily driver and I put a lot of highway miles on, so handling is important. I don't plan on doing any serious off-roading but I live in small town Texas, and am a firefighter, so occasionally I have to get dirty. I've been doing as much research as I can, but find myself getting lost in all the options. Any one with any ideas where to start or gone thru the same thing? I'm not wanting to spend a whole lot, but I neebd to maintain stock performance on highway (Walmart is 90 miles.) just looking for a point in the right direction

·
8,073 Posts
When you say not wanting to spend a lot what exactly do you mean? What's your price range? Do you want just a leveling kit to bring the front end up? A 4" lift? Or a 6" lift? There are many different combinations that you can run. We'll need a little more input from you before we really know how to steer this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to level and add 2 maybe 3 in. I would like to keep it around 1000, or less, less is better lol.

·
8,073 Posts
I well if that's the look you're after and with a $1000 budget I'd recommend getting a set of Bilstein 5100 adjustsble shocks to lift the front end about 2.6". Check out the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature. It will tell you everything you need to know about leveling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I looked at it and the brochure from bilstein, it seems like that would probably work for front end, but what about the rear? The 5100 non adjustable is what the bilstein websight suggested, but that is only one inch of lift, and from what I've read I think most of that is canceled out because of the trx4 package. Is that accurate? And does anyone have a pic of a 4th gen with just the bilstein 5100's?

·
Banned
811 Posts
You can add a rear coil spring spacer to the rear easily to compliment the adjustable front struts. Adding a rear spacer is very cheap, some brands to look into are Moto Fab or Top Gun Customs. I ran a 2" rear spacer for about a year before getting a 6" lift and it did the job just fine and was around $100 I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The spacer in addition to the 5100's? Cause I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't stack the two together. Or is that just the front end?

·
8,073 Posts
If you want level you only want to do the Bilsteins, nothing to the rear. As soon as you put something back there you're going to end up with rake again.

The Bilsteins for the rear don't give you any lift either, they're only a shock.

WPG-RAM is referring to a rear coil spacer, not a front leveling spacer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'm lost now, what's rake? And I am aware it's just a shock but the catalog for the 5100 from bilstein said its got 1 inch lift. Incorrect? And what's the difference in the spacers? I know I sound retarded sorry lol.

·
8,073 Posts
Rake is how the truck is sloped. Stock trucks coming higher in the back than the front. A leveling kit raises the front end to make it more equal with the back. Most trucks typically need 2.5" of front end lift to level it with the rear. Which is essentially what you're looking for.

It's says they're for use with 0-1" of lift. Shocks themselves don't do anything to support the weight of the truck. That's solely on the springs which is why you would need a coil spring spacer to provide any lift on the back end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Does anyone have a pic of there truck with bilsteins up front and the 2" spacers in the rear? I think that's what I'm gonna go with but just wanna see it and make sure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts