DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Ram 5.7 Hemi that has always had the lifter noise at cold start. 50 deg. Typical environment. 3k since oil change. I noticed this issue since purchase. Wondering if it might be a exhaust leak at start up only. Leaning towards lifter noise. Anybody else noticed this issue?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2017 Ram 5.7 Hemi that has always had the lifter noise at cold start. 50 deg. Typical environment. 3k since oil change. I noticed this issue since purchase. Wondering if it might be a exhaust leak at start up only. Leaning towards lifter noise. Anybody else noticed this issue?
Take it to the dealer if it is still under warranty or extended coverage. They are known for cam and lifter issues.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hi Conradri,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your truck! I know that you are reaching out to fellow forum members on this, however, please let us know if you decide to address this with your dealer. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
2017 Rams are not known for cam and lifter issues.

If it has done it since 0 miles and day 1, it is doubtful it is an exhaust leak but anything is possible.
How long does it last? Just a couple of seconds is usually just a lifter noise that many people solve by using a different oil or filter.
My 2016 really only ever does it when I have had a dealer oil change and stock mopar filter - and usually then after a 1000 or more miles on it.
Using a different filter and oil has eliminated the start lifter tick - even after sitting for weeks without starting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My experience is similar to what Pacofortacos said. My 2018 is at 16.5K miles now, but at about 3K to 3.5K miles it sat for a few weeks and gave lifter noise for a few seconds at startup. Temp then was probably about 50F. I talked to the dealer, just to start a record if needed. I changed the oil to PUP 5W20 and installed a Fram XG2 filter - chosen because of heavy construction and silicone anti-drainback valve. The lifter noise has never returned, even sitting for a couple of weeks at 0F or below.
I have been using Quaker State Ultimate Synthetic 5W20 oil the last two oil changes because of information on RAT 540 web site. The QS 5W20 meets the Mopar spec test and the RAT 540 blog suggests it has better film forming than the PUP. As long as the engine is happy . . . .

bspRAM
2018 Laramie 1500 CC, Peragon bed cover, Rhino spray-in bed liner, Bed Rug, OE bed lights, OE tow hooks, OE w-to-w tubular side steps, LT275/65R20 tires

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have used the long Royal Purple and now the NAPA Platinum oil filter (stock length). Very pleased with the NAPA so far and they run specials on the Platinum filter every now and then. It is the top of the line and I think it's a rebranded Wix XP

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience is similar to what Pacofortacos said. My 2018 is at 16.5K miles now, but at about 3K to 3.5K miles it sat for a few weeks and gave lifter noise for a few seconds at startup. Temp then was probably about 50F. I talked to the dealer, just to start a record if needed. I changed the oil to PUP 5W20 and installed a Fram XG2 filter - chosen because of heavy construction and silicone anti-drainback valve. The lifter noise has never returned, even sitting for a couple of weeks at 0F or below.
I have been using Quaker State Ultimate Synthetic 5W20 oil the last two oil changes because of information on RAT 540 web site. The QS 5W20 meets the Mopar spec test and the RAT 540 blog suggests it has better film forming than the PUP. As long as the engine is happy . . . .

bspRAM
2018 Laramie 1500 CC, Peragon bed cover, Rhino spray-in bed liner, Bed Rug, OE bed lights, OE tow hooks, OE w-to-w tubular side steps, LT275/65R20 tires
I have been using the dealer for oil changes, I'am sure they use the stock mopar filters with 5 20s oil. A filter with this anti drain back valve built into the filter does make allot of since. Thanks for the info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts