DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Lifter tick, looking for advice

797 4
Now, I know this has been visited a thousand times, but I’m looking for advice. I’m looking at three different options to fix the situation. 2014 ram 1500 sport, hemi, 4wd with 120k miles. It has a pretty hard tick, and although it has thrown no codes, doesn’t misfire, and there’s no real noticeable drivability issues. My question is, should I just throw a cam and lifters at it (mds delete), take it to a shop and get it completely rebuilt (there’s a place in Michigan saying they’ll do everything A-Z and give you a two year warranty, but I won’t have the truck for like six weeks. Patriot auto care in almont, I believe is the name of the shop.) or order a reman engine. Body is in decent shape, interior is pretty clean, overall the truck is in good shape. I have tossed around the idea of trading for a fifth gen, but not entirely sure. Thanks in advance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Read Only
135 Posts
Now, I know this has been visited a thousand times, but I’m looking for advice. I’m looking at three different options to fix the situation. 2014 ram 1500 sport, hemi, 4wd with 120k miles. It has a pretty hard tick, and although it has thrown no codes, doesn’t misfire, and there’s no real noticeable drivability issues. My question is, should I just throw a cam and lifters at it (mds delete), take it to a shop and get it completely rebuilt (there’s a place in Michigan saying they’ll do everything A-Z and give you a two year warranty, but I won’t have the truck for like six weeks. Patriot auto care in almont, I believe is the name of the shop.) or order a reman engine. Body is in decent shape, interior is pretty clean, overall the truck is in good shape. I have tossed around the idea of trading for a fifth gen, but not entirely sure. Thanks in advance.
Up to you,if you want to keep it longterm or not.If not then unload it and get you another truck.

· Premium Member
32,816 Posts
I would check for cracked exhaust manifolds or broken manifold bolts, if it's the bolts, it would only be the bolts that hold the Heat Shields in place

If that is not it, i would try Synthetic Oil, if you don't already use it

Lifters & push rod access are only in the heads, aren't they. Maybe just remove the valve covers to see if you can spot something

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.