DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 5.2 V8 Magnum Dodge Ram. It's a short bed extended cab, if that's needed to know. But I'm trying to put a 4.5" or 5" lift on it for some larger tires. Can anyone give me some advice as to what will be needed if I do this lift?

Am I gonna need longer brake lines? Longer drive Shafts? Anything with the front steering (Pitman arm drop drag link track bar)?

Anyone with any lift experience, your insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Buy a complete lift (rather than piecing it together) if you are in doubt. All the kits i've looked at include everything necessary. Only the higher ones (10+) will require new driveshafts and brake lines. All of them include the necessary track bar drop bracket and extended pitman arm so you should be fine.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the kits you'll find will include all the mechanical bits you need to do that sort of lift except the brake lines, which are easily sourced online.

You won't need to lengthen your drivelines but you will have to check the pinion angle. Many kits include the hardware to set it at the right angle.

Rough Country, ProComp, SuperLift and others have a complete kit for your truck.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the kind of kit I was referring to. The only thing you may need is some longer brake lines. Get some braided stainless steel ones and you won't have any problem with brake fade or the old rubber one's bursting on you.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. you might have two in front + 1 in the rear on that generation truck. The one in the rear runs across the top of your rear diff and included in that circuit is the ABS sensor.

Or, you might have 4, one per corner. I'd crawl under the rear of the truck and, starting at one rear wheel, trace the brakeline and see where it goes.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it would be a good idea. While you are at it, make sure your bushings and links up front are in good condition. Now is the time to replace them when you have the truck apart vs. going back and doing it later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go to fabtechs website thats where I got my 5.5" lift from. Everything included. Just think about what tire size you want to run first for what your doing because you dont want to buy the lift then not be able to fit the tires you want without rubbing and have to chop and clearance the poor truck. Oh and dont forget about gears if you want the truck to last.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I run crown performance stainless lines. Best in the industry in my opinion. They have them in a variety of flavors (colors). I went with blue. They come with nice oem brackets and are top quality. You can kind o see mine in this pic (i haven't taken a pic dedicated to my brake lines cause that what be weird).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts