DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

So I'm finally establishing the funds to get my 1500 set up. Priority of work right now is tires. Currently in Washington state, but moving to Alaska in a few months, I'm gonna need the tires. What would anyone suggest for a solid, year-round tire that will give me grip on ice, snow, trails, rain, and dry roads. I'd like something that I won't have to lift it, cause I'm trying to stick to leveling. Maybe a 2" lift but only for the right quality/price point.

Currently sitting with the 20" factory aluminum rims.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
The BFG KO2's are a good tire for what you want. You could do some 285/65R20's it you were looking for a taller tire without lifting it. Leveling your truck would look good with those. I'm not sure, but with stock rims you might need spacers to run that tire size.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Duratracs are a good all around tire, and are supposedly a lot better than the original BFG KOs in the snow. I am partial to the BFG KO2s though and they seem to do as well as Duratracs in snow, I have KO2s and though the below pic is the extent of my snow driving experience, others seem to like them in snow as well.

Another thing about the KO2s is that they are typically a load range higher than other tires of a given size e.g. every 275/60/20 (stock size) other than the KO2 is a P rated tire, including the Duratracs. The KO2s in that size are LT tires with load range D and have a much better ride with less sidewall squish.

ETA: Forgot the pic!:str:

·
Registered
235 Posts
285/65/20's will fit stock 20x9 rims without spacers with Bils @ 2.1" with ZERO rub

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

I went with the KO2's. Got them back in late July and have been happy ever since. Coming through Canada to get to AK with 2,000 lbs. of stuff loaded in the back and traveled on 200+ miles of unpaved hard packed gravel roads and didn't have any traction issues, lots of rain in Yukon Territory with no issues. I think the first winter in AK will be a breeze for the truck.

·
Registered
15,702 Posts
I went with the KO2's. Got them back in late July and have been happy ever since. Coming through Canada to get to AK with 2,000 lbs. of stuff loaded in the back and traveled on 200+ miles of unpaved hard packed gravel roads and didn't have any traction issues, lots of rain in Yukon Territory with no issues. I think the first winter in AK will be a breeze for the truck.
i just bought 4 of the same, not for my truck though. came highly recommended.

·
Registered
301 Posts
SPEND MORE-GET MORE. I swear by Toyo Open Country AT Xtremes. 50,000 mile warranty and will not puncture on rocks...I've even got over tons of broken glass (something fell off a truck on the freeway) with no damage. Just a great, tough as nails tire and priced accordingly.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Toyos are good too, the AT2s are one of the most popular ATs IME, along with BF Goodrich KO2s and Goodyear Duratracs-which are about the only Goodyears I would buy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SPEND MORE-GET MORE. I swear by Toyo Open Country AT Xtremes.....will not puncture on rocks...

If I hadn't left Washington, these probably would've been the ones I went with. Fair priced and good tire, and you can fit 33"s on a stock Ram. BUT, I moved to Alaska, hence the KO2's. Better traction on ice/snow, and I'm not sure what site it was, but the KO2's, if I remember correctly, have the toughest sidewall on an all rubber tire on the market right now. Toyo's do look nice, but they couldn't serve the purpose needed.

That's a nice set up there BC.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
After comparing Dura's to the KO2 I wouldn't even bother with them lol.
I mean, you can tell by my sig which I would go with. KO2s are tough as ****

·
Registered
363 Posts
why not just get an extra set of rims and get some good snows mounted and use them during the snow season. i have a brother in upstate n.y. and thats what he does. tires last longer that way too....

·
Registered
71 Posts
BFG KO2 are fine tires. Had more than my share of them. But, I and several of my buddies found we actually like General Grabber AT/2 better - they can do everything that BFG's do and do it a lot cheaper. Like $40-50/tire cheaper, and sometimes better when you can get coupons. Can get both in LT for 20" rims, both snowflake rated, both relatively mannered on highway, and very similar off-road (snow, mud, dirt).

And neither is going to perform well on ice or on hard-packed snow. For that you need a true winter tire.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm buying the Duratracs because I want a dedicated tire for winter for my factory Sport 20's. The Duratracs are a softer compound which is better for winter.

I'm going with a 275-65-20 to maintain a similar diameter to my summer 35's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts