DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. I recently got stopped by a police officer who said my tail lights were out. I got out and looked they were working but not very bright. I checked the brake and turn signals they were not very bright either. I replaced the bulbs and still not very bright. I also noticed since day one that the head lights are not very good either. I have talked to a number of people in the area about this and have been told the have noticed that their lights are not as bright as they would like. I took my truck back to the dealer I bought it from and had them check my lights they checked the voltage going to them they said voltage was good. does anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
760 Posts
If the voltages to the lights are good, and if the bulbs are good, about the only thing I can think of that can cause them to be markedly dim is if the lenses are seriously dirty. (I've had that happen both with dust on backroads in the summertime and also with that slushy crap you get on the highway in the wintertime, but both you and the cop would have noticed that for sure)
And for the lights to appear so seriously dim as to cause a cop to think they were out is just weird. That's pretty darn dim.
Is this lack of brightness on all lights front and rear, or just rear. How about the 3rd brakelight and the front turn signals?

Quite a few people complain about their OEM headlights not being as bright as they would prefer, and not just on RAM trucks. Such complaints are commonplace on just about every vehicle forum I've ever frequented, and I'm sure that's what contributes to such a strong market for aftermarket HID and/or LED upgrades.
Personally I'm OK with the OEM headlights on our 2018, and the tail and signal lights are plenty bright.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Voltage might be good going to th elights, but if the ground is bad then they could still be dim. If I am not mistaken most of the systems on vehicles are operated by completing the ground through the BCM computer. If I am not mistaken, your lights should have 12 volts to them at all times and are turned on by completing the ground. You might be able to rig a separate ground to test the brightness of the lights. You would have to rig something up to feed a ground into the back of the plug on the tail light housing.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I just thought of something else. They might have checked the voltage at the tail light and read 12 volts or what ever the voltage is for the LED lights and said it was good, but here is the kicker. If they checked with the plug disconnected from the tail light housing (in other words an open end circuit) it might still be bad even though they read the correct voltage. If there is high resistance in the circuit it will read full voltage but it will not let the current (amperage) through to give full brightness to the lights. You might want to disconnect the tail light and take the whole housing up to the battery and connect some jumpers direct from the battery to the tail light to check the brightness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just thought of something else. They might have checked the voltage at the tail light and read 12 volts or what ever the voltage is for the LED lights and said it was good, but here is the kicker. If they checked with the plug disconnected from the tail light housing (in other words an open end circuit) it might still be bad even though they read the correct voltage. If there is high resistance in the circuit it will read full voltage but it will not let the current (amperage) through to give full brightness to the lights. You might want to disconnect the tail light and take the whole housing up to the battery and connect some jumpers direct from the battery to the tail light to check the brightness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not know what the voltage is supposed or how they checked it. I do know that I do not have LED lights they are the standard ones. No HIDs either. I have been looking at maybe upgrading to LEDs but all the research I have been done says there are problems with the trucks computer giving codes and alerts such as light not working and hyper flash. I can not find any plug and play ones. I either have to hack into the wiring harness and splice resistors into the harness which I do not want to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the voltages to the lights are good, and if the bulbs are good, about the only thing I can think of that can cause them to be markedly dim is if the lenses are seriously dirty. (I've had that happen both with dust on backroads in the summertime and also with that slushy crap you get on the highway in the wintertime, but both you and the cop would have noticed that for sure)
And for the lights to appear so seriously dim as to cause a cop to think they were out is just weird. That's pretty darn dim.
Is this lack of brightness on all lights front and rear, or just rear. How about the 3rd brakelight and the front turn signals?

Quite a few people complain about their OEM headlights not being as bright as they would prefer, and not just on RAM trucks. Such complaints are commonplace on just about every vehicle forum I've ever frequented, and I'm sure that's what contributes to such a strong market for aftermarket HID and/or LED upgrades.
Personally I'm OK with the OEM headlights on our 2018, and the tail and signal lights are plenty bright.
The lens was not dirty lights just dim. I talked to the dealer they said they could upgrade to LEDs and HIDs but it would cost about $3,000.00. I don't think I will do that I will look for alternatives or just have to work with what I have.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I do not know what the voltage is supposed or how they checked it. I do know that I do not have LED lights they are the standard ones. No HIDs either. I have been looking at maybe upgrading to LEDs but all the research I have been done says there are problems with the trucks computer giving codes and alerts such as light not working and hyper flash. I can not find any plug and play ones. I either have to hack into the wiring harness and splice resistors into the harness which I do not want to do.
Like I said, if it were me I would take the light out and take it up close to the battery and rig up some jumpers to see how bright the light is right off the battery. If you have regular lights the voltage should be approximately 12 Volts or slightly higher (what ever the battery voltage is with a little loss from wiring)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Voltage drop the system. Or try a ground jumper to the bulb ground side. Almost every time I have seen a weak bulb problem its the ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. I recently got stopped by a police officer who said my tail lights were out. I got out and looked they were working but not very bright. I checked the brake and turn signals they were not very bright either. I replaced the bulbs and still not very bright. I also noticed since day one that the head lights are not very good either. I have talked to a number of people in the area about this and have been told the have noticed that their lights are not as bright as they would like. I took my truck back to the dealer I bought it from and had them check my lights they checked the voltage going to them they said voltage was good. does anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations?
Go to GTL Lighting.com. The best of the best in LED lights and life time warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you run any extra lights or radio amp? If you have any aftermarket radio amp, etc. it can draw enough current from the system to cause dim lights particularly at low speed or stopped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No aftermarket radio amp. Stuck with what came with the truck. The LED lighting added is just unbelievable bright. GTL Lighting to offer life time warranty is just great. Only had to use it once.It was a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the truck is a 2018 why not have the dealer fix it? I know you said they found power going to the bulb. But, if the officer said the lights are dim and you saw that as well then it needs repair. You may want to check with a local PD but you probably have to be able to see the bulbs from 500 feet.

Dirty or smoked lenses can cause the issue as well. But I'm taking it you didn't smoke yours. If you bought it new they have to make sure it is within specification to be on the road. If you got it used then you may be on your own to take care of the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts