DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve lurked on this forum for quite some time. Found helpful information when I needed to DIY some things on my 2009, and now I’m back with a unique story about my 2013.

I have a 2013 CC Laramie that developed the tick around 76k, things escalated quickly and within 100 miles it ate the cam lobe and gave me a Cyl. 5 misfire. Long story short, aftermarket warranty replaced my engine (albeit with a used one from a 2016 with 52k on it).

Here we are 10 days later, and I hear a tick again. But it goes away once warmed up, presumably the manifold bolts.

Nope, the second engine ALSO has a bad lifter but we may have been able to catch it before any major damage was done.

What are the odds that two engines from different model years in the same truck experience lifter failure within the same 200mi of driving???

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
910 Posts
What are the odds that two engines from different model years in the same truck experience lifter failure within the same 200mi of driving???
387,948 to 1
Roughly speaking.

You're welcome.
:cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dodge won't do anything. They know the problem but sits on their hands. Maybe someone needs to go the legal route with this problem and light a fire under them. Just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While there are many theories on these failures and FCA is aware I think the failure begins with a failed roller on a lifter. When the roller stops rolling and starts sliding on the roller cam surface, the cam lobe gets chewed up. Further I believe the roller lifters are cheap overseas copies of good roller lifters, but probably saved $30-50 per set while giving the once good hemi a bad reputation. But in this world it is no longer about producing an excellent product for the consumers, the bean counters attitude it take that excellent product and cheapen it to the point of failure and go home with their bonus! Sorry for the soap box rant, but early Gen 3 hemi's were nearly bullet proof regardless of the abuse heaped on them and now not so much.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I agree.
Once gReputation is gone thouhg. FCA has made all the money they could and now are trying to dump this Brand. Same with previous Owners.

Been GOIng downhill for awhile but, being Loyal and Stubburn, took me too long to admit it.
While there are many theories on these failures and FCA is aware I think the failure begins with a failed roller on a lifter. When the roller stops rolling and starts sliding on the roller cam surface, the cam lobe gets chewed up. Further I believe the roller lifters are cheap overseas copies of good roller lifters, but probably saved $30-50 per set while giving the once good hemi a bad reputation. But in this world it is no longer about producing an excellent product for the consumers, the bean counters attitude it take that excellent product and cheapen it to the point of failure and go home with their bonus! Sorry for the soap box rant, but early Gen 3 hemi's were nearly bullet proof regardless of the abuse heaped on them and now not so much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I’ve lurked on this forum for quite some time. Found helpful information when I needed to DIY some things on my 2009, and now I’m back with a unique story about my 2013.

I have a 2013 CC Laramie that developed the tick around 76k, things escalated quickly and within 100 miles it ate the cam lobe and gave me a Cyl. 5 misfire. Long story short, aftermarket warranty replaced my engine (albeit with a used one from a 2016 with 52k on it).

Here we are 10 days later, and I hear a tick again. But it goes away once warmed up, presumably the manifold bolts.

Nope, the second engine ALSO has a bad lifter but we may have been able to catch it before any major damage was done.

Is the second engine a new factory engine put in at the dealer or is it a used one out of a wrecking yard? If it is a factory unit and dealer installed then it is their problem, Chrysler has a 2 year parts warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the second engine a new factory engine put in at the dealer or is it a used one out of a wrecking yard? If it is a factory unit and dealer installed then it is their problem, Chrysler has a 2 year parts warranty.
No it’s one out of a 2016. I have an aftermarket warranty. Dealer still installed it though.
We caught it before any damage to the cam occurred, they will be replacing the lifters with the newest rendition of them in the next day or so.

We will see how it turns out

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had this discussion with a friend who is a Ram tech of many years, says these engines have soft lobes, idling is what kills them from the low oil pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just had this discussion with a friend who is a Ram tech of many years, says these engines have soft lobes, idling is what kills them from the low oil pressure.
From both these engines a lifter has become stuck by having its roller pushed beyond the pin/pivot point. Causes it to just ride a immobile surface against the cam lobe. I’m sure this is caused by gradual small misfires which the ECU considers normal. The tapping heard is the flat edges of the lifter striking the cam lobe when it rotates back onto it.

I’m not sure if oil pressure, insufficient lubrication, or any other suggested thoughts on other threads are the main issue. In my opinion it’s the quality of materials. The 6.4 doesn’t seem to have as many issues regarding lifters, same with the hellcat engine. I believe this is because the engines require higher grade materials to handle the increase in power, therefore it could be assumed that the roller on these lifters are either stronger/larger/or made with tighter tolerances.

The warranty on mine obviously will only replace with compatible components. So swapping the 5.7 lifters for the 6.4 is a no go. Service manager out here and mechanics at this shop have even said that the 6.4 lifters would most likely solve the issue permanently. But their hands are tied since I’m using a warranty instead of out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,386 Posts
My RAM has had no problems with ticking manifold bolts or lope failure. Runs and drives awesome. I have the Lifetime Max Care though in case anything develops in the future.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Make sure do all your inspections, as required by the conditions of your warranty, else they will deny coverage.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Maybe next time that dealership will stop being lazy and properly replace the lifters, cam, and oil pump with adequate components so the engine continues on to go 300K+ miles.
I don't think the dealership had anything to do with it; it sounds like the aftermarket warranty would only cover a used engine.

Once gReputation is gone thouhg. FCA has made all the money they could and now are trying to dump this Brand. Same with previous Owners.
Pretty sure that FCA is not trying to dump Ram, since Ram and Jeep are their most profitable brands

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Make sure do all your inspections, as required by the conditions of your warranty, else they will deny coverage.
I've got two Maxcares, there are no inspection requirements in either contract. I've read this before and verified if this is a requirement with two dealership service managers, it was at one time but no more. They both strongly suggested you keep a service log and receipts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When the lifters are starting to go out, what does it sound like?
My first engine sounded like a clanking more so than tapping. The second engine sounds like someone is taking a piece of metal and tapping it in the engine compartment.

If you look on YouTube for HEMI Tick you’ll hear plenty of examples

1 - 20 of 24 Posts