DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be doing a decent amount of off-roading this spring through fall, but my truck has open-diff. I'm going to be changing it and (Toms Blue Ram 1500) came up with the suggestion of lockers. They seem like a very good idea, but I drive in a lot of snow during the winter, and I've heard people say that they can be dangerous on snow. I did some internet hunting and the first couple of comments I saw on various websites seemed to agree with that idea. Soon after that though, a lot of people were saying lockers are actually better in snow, as long as you know how to drive and what to expect. I was curious as to if anyone has any experience with regularly driving lockers in snow. It will be my DD.

I also have a few other questions (normal summer conditions):
-Does it cause tires to bald more rapidly?
-Does it make turning from a stop, such as at a stop sign, hard?
-Is it harder on the axle and tranny?
-Which is better? Posi/LSD or Lockers?

If I think of anymore questions, I'll be sure to ask!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well the big things to consider are:
1- tire size
2- axle strength
3- your driving habits
4- what kind of performance you want.

Yes, if you are heavy footed and arent comfortable with losing the back end a lil bit, lockers in the snow/ice will be a bad idea.
If you understand throttle control and are comfortable in your rig then lockers are no big deal.

You locking just the rear? Or is the front an option too?
Do you do a lot of driving off camber? Or just climbs and obsticles?

Why do you think you need the locker? A lot of other things play into snow traction. Tire psi, tread pattern, and amount of tread remaining are also important.

(Here is my knowledge of lockers:

hope any of that helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the big things to consider are:
1- tire size
2- axle strength
3- your driving habits
4- what kind of performance you want.

Yes, if you are heavy footed and arent comfortable with losing the back end a lil bit, lockers in the snow/ice will be a bad idea.
If you understand throttle control and are comfortable in your rig then lockers are no big deal.

You locking just the rear? Or is the front an option too?
Do you do a lot of driving off camber? Or just climbs and obsticles?

Why do you think you need the locker? A lot of other things play into snow traction. Tire psi, tread pattern, and amount of tread remaining are also important.

(Here is my knowledge of lockers:

hope any of that helps
Hey, sorry I've been really busy lately, so I haven't been on the comp lately.
To answer some of your questions, I have a very laid back driving habit. I like to keep it calm, except when I'm off-roading, I'm fairly aggressive. I'm looking for good mudding performance that will allow for better traction. I will be doing a lot of mudding on trails and fields this summer.
In the snow I am very comfortable with my truck, and don't mind a little twist in the back end. I wont really be doing much off camber. just some hills here and there (some can be steep, but very few).
I was suggested a locker for off-roading since they give better traction. I have also been looking as posi and I am trying to figure out which is better. Overall my tires are great in snow and mud, but open diff really doesn't allow me to use them to their full potential.

·
Registered
366 Posts
On My older blazer I had a locker installed cause I did quite a bit of beach fishing. The beaches here are soft and deep at times. On these beaches my locker was king loved it to the max. On the flip side, In the snow in 4x4 with my rear locked it felt as though my ass was swaying like a dogs tail. With A little gas it would dig in and track straight. Most of the time i left it in 2x4 unless the snow was deep, Just got used to it. Now for the new truck I dont think I'm going to lock it but maybe look into a lsd or maybe a switchable locker. I dont think there out for my rear end. good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for your help/comments! At the moment I am looking at lsd and posi since they are cheaper than a selectable locker. If I have enough money after putting some money into savings from taxes and a few thins on Ebay, I might go for the selectable locker, but if not I might go lsd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts