DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always ride with my hand on the shifter and keep engaging the manual shift, Dodge should move that button or have a way to lock it. Anyone else found a fix for this. I guess you could break the wiring with a switch?

·
Registered
340 Posts
wow, nothing like a late night smack down.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Stff some paper or something beside the stick so it doesnt let it move side to side.

I always have my hand on the stick too and have only down shifted it when Im NASCARing a freeway on ramp or something and use it to hold on lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have an automatic... you need to take your hand off the shifter OR use the auto stick like it's designed to be used; they are not going to change it becuase you have a compulsion to keep your hand on the shifter like it's a standard.
I traded a 5 speed mustang gt for this truck so its habit, and we dont have auto stick, wish we did? Auto stick will down shift back to first when you stop...

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I always ride with my hand on the shifter and keep engaging the manual shift, Dodge should move that button or have a way to lock it. Anyone else found a fix for this. I guess you could break the wiring with a switch?
:LOL: Bin Dar....Dun Dat!

For me the problem was accentuated by me coming from the world of standard transmissions, and every time I 'intuitively' shifted to 3rd, I got....Yup, you guessed it.... NEUTRAL!

I also discovered that a good healthy shift to 2nd, often netted me 1st gear.

Fast forward to almost 2 years later; I am getting much better at driving an automatic. Still a bit rough around the edges, but improving daily. I still blow the odd 3rd gear shift, and bounce the engine off the limiter when shifting to 2nd, but no longer require a super computer to keep count, it can know be done one the average scientific calculator from Staples. :smileup:

I have often wished the shift direction was Forward/Backward instead of Left/Right, but I also understand that this is easier to ask for then deliver. It does get easier. After you have embarrassed yourself the 4,395th time, your brain starts to learn to control the 'twitch' in the right hand.

Take comfort in knowing you are not alone and that every time you screw up with the shifter, there is someone in the Z will point and laugh at you for the sole purpose of helping you change your habit to one that renders the results you are trying to achieve. Oh...and....when you do screw up; please laugh at me! I probably did the same thing and need all the help I can get to improve my automatic transmission driving technique. :D

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I have the full floor console
My right arm is always resting on the console & my hand is on the shifter, it is very comfortable. I also shift without meaning to, if it only dropped one gear it wouldn't be so bad, but sometimes it really drops several gears & the engine over revs, embarrassing

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the full floor console
My right arm is always resting on the console & my hand is on the shifter, it is very comfortable. I also shift without meaning to, if it only dropped one gear it wouldn't be so bad, but sometimes it really drops several gears & the engine over revs, embarrassing
^ What GTYankee said ^ - I'm learning to control this habit though!

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
You have an automatic... you need to take your hand off the shifter OR use the auto stick like it's designed to be used; they are not going to change it becuase you have a compulsion to keep your hand on the shifter like it's a standard.
wow, nothing like a late night smack down.
I was in no way trying to 'lay-eth the snack down' so if it was taken that way I do apologize. I was trying to put it in simple terms, this isn't a stick shift and as such shouldn't be expected to behave the same way. The shifters do have a lock on them, but they are designed to shift into neutral to allow for neutral braking.

As for the auto stick, do the 4th gens not have that option? I was under the impression they did, guess I spend too much time with the lx crowd, I just assumed it did since almost every lx model had the feature.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
......As for the auto stick, do the 4th gens not have that option? I was under the impression they did, guess I spend too much time with the lx crowd, I just assumed it did since almost every lx model had the feature.
Kind of, but different. In the Ram, you can manually select the highest gear it will shift to, but only if the computer considers your selection to be safe.

The big difference is in coming out of auto mode into manual mode. It determines which gear it will shift to based on what you are doing at the time. For example, if you are stopped a light and bump into manual mode, it immediately goes to 1st gear. If you are traveling at any speed and the trans has already shifted to the top gear, bumping to manual mode will take you to the first gear in it's selection list, in my case - 5th. If you are in 4th, and bump it, it will go to either 4th or 3rd depending on how the computer feels that day. If you pull the shifter toward you and hold it, it will shift to the lowest gear that will not over-rev the engine.

Not 'Auto-Stick', but similar in a very different way. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
either way its all good, I paid it no attention anyways. The shifter has a +/- button on the shifter to manualy select gears. Say if you shift it into 3, it will shift 3 times and hold third gear. The selector does not downshift back to first when you slow down like an autostick would. The display will still read 3 and make those three shifts again. I wish you had to move it one position down like the auto stick to engage the manual mode, but its done in the drive position...thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
My wife has only drove my truck very few times.
Recently, she had it and called me to say she was pulled over and something was wrong with the truck.
She said the truck was making a lot of noise and wouldn't go very fast.
I figured out the problem right away because I did the same thing early in my Ram ownership experience.
She thought that was a stupid way for a truck to work. I agreed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts